I am fixing this defense right now

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would love to see Jaylon shoot the gap. It appears to me as though he is intentionally waiting and shifting to the side away from the play. Then he waits for the first stiff breeze to come along to blow him completely out of the play. Words can not express how poorly I think of him at this point. He is basically the opposition.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Woods is 10 times better than Gallimore. Gallimore hasn't had the light come on and needs more time to develop.

I wouldn't start Randy Gregory because he isn't eligible to return until week 7, but that's just me.

What if we put Gregory in Gallimore’s Jersey?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
When you draft gap shooters, you can't expect them to hold their gaps. That's not their strength.

While penetration is a desirable trait in 3Techs, they also have to play the run. It's too critical a need in playing inside.

If you just want one-trick ponies that are 3rd down gap shooters.. sure I guess. Maybe draft them later in the draft. 2nd and 3rd round picks have to be able to play the run in order to be able to become NFL starting DT's.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Grade school coaching is a dad. HS caching is marginally better than just a dad.
Its not just about coaching its about reps. You play at a young age you begin to learn the fundamentals. You learn your strengths and weaknesses. You learn that actual strategy of a game. You see first hand what a pulling guard looks like and how the rest of the line blocks you. That takes many reps of actually seeing before a DL actually gets the muscle memory to see it and attach it differently instead of just running upfield only to get their head knocked off. You learn to identify run vs pass. You learn what protection for a screen pass looks like. I could go on and on. Gallimore started to learn these basic things at the college level. Everyone around him had 4+ years of a head start on the basics. He's been playing catch up since day one, and did a phenomonal job based on his natural abilities. By no means should he be expected to contribute day one in the nfl though.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
We are going very basic 4-2-5 this week. Very basic. If I blitz it is coming from the CB or S position. Gallimore and Hill start in the inside. I know Gallimore is not a 1 but it doesn’t matter because Poe and Woods are not doing the job. Gregory and Smith are starting on the outside. Anae gets next up snaps. Lawrence gets 33% of the snaps unless he shows a pulse. I am scouring the LBs in the league. Thomas and Gifford are my starters. Smith is a healthy scratch. I don’t care if I have to put Wilson at LB Smith is not suiting up. Diggs, Brown, Carr, Wilson, and Lewis are my starting secondary. Woods is deep, deep, deep on the bench. Griffen will work at the 3 on some passing downs. Worley and Crawford get a few snaps as well. I run base 85pct of the plays. I force Jones to stay in the pocket and be accurate. I pray Smith and Gregory can get home.

Simple, simple, simple.

54 is a permanent healthy scratch if the LBs show a pulse and I am looking every week for guys that can help.

Thoughts?
Great post, Randy can't play until wk 7.

Cebrin

Reaction score
We are going very basic 4-2-5 this week. Very basic. If I blitz it is coming from the CB or S position. Gallimore and Hill start in the inside. I know Gallimore is not a 1 but it doesn’t matter because Poe and Woods are not doing the job. Gregory and Smith are starting on the outside. Anae gets next up snaps. Lawrence gets 33% of the snaps unless he shows a pulse. I am scouring the LBs in the league. Thomas and Gifford are my starters. Smith is a healthy scratch. I don’t care if I have to put Wilson at LB Smith is not suiting up. Diggs, Brown, Carr, Wilson, and Lewis are my starting secondary. Woods is deep, deep, deep on the bench. Griffen will work at the 3 on some passing downs. Worley and Crawford get a few snaps as well. I run base 85pct of the plays. I force Jones to stay in the pocket and be accurate. I pray Smith and Gregory can get home.

Simple, simple, simple.

54 is a permanent healthy scratch if the LBs show a pulse and I am looking every week for guys that can help.

Thoughts?
Nah, we just need to go grab our own Marky Mark off the street. It'll fix everything, just like in the movies.

starfan1

Reaction score
The Browns lost Chubb in the 1st quarter and still ran for over 300 yards. This D is Swiss cheese. Not going to be fixed without a huge influx of talent. The Cowboys are 2 years away from being 2 years away.
yes the D sucks but lets be fair Hunt is no joke either. Now the Johnson dude i have never heard of but hey leave it to the cowboys D to make stars out of everyone. Remember we made the Jets QB look like a pro bowler

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods is 10 times better than Gallimore. Gallimore hasn't had the light come on and needs more time to develop.

I wouldn't start Randy Gregory because he isn't eligible to return until week 7, but that's just me.
Not to mention it's a little hard for a guy sitting at home to have a good feel for Gregory when they haven't seen him play a single down since 2018.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Gregory is just as much a part of what is wrong with this team as anything. We pick him in the second round when he is not even on most draft boards. We keep him around year after year even though he clearly does not care about football. We are actually counting on this guy to help us win football games. It is madness.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
when jarwin went down i thought the worst. but in retrospect, it might have been a blessing in disguise as schultz has been great. perhaps we've found our te for the future.

I followed Shultz on twitter the day we drafted him because of what I read of his abilities. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I knew he was gonna be a 1st ballot hall of famer the day we drafted him.....................:)

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not to mention it's a little hard for a guy sitting at home to have a good feel for Gregory when they haven't seen him play a single down since 2018.

Dallas fans a month ago: Gregory will never play another down!!!

Dallas fans today: Why isn't Gregory playing?????

Kaiser

Reaction score
Gregory is just as much a part of what is wrong with this team as anything. We pick him in the second round when he is not even on most draft boards. We keep him around year after year even though he clearly does not care about football. We are actually counting on this guy to help us win football games. It is madness.

So "doesn't care about football" means make millions of dollars and fight like crazy to come back to football. Must be some really strong weed to make him that confused but not show up in drug testing.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

True but anything is better than Lawrence right now. These “stars” need a push.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Getting upfield as a DL causes huge gaps for traps.....besides tell me how a 3-4 works with no real OLB's and no real DT's to eat lineman.....this was a horrible idea then throw in no training camp...MM should have to explain *** they were thinking here.

we dont have he personell to run a 3-4 not even close

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prediction: Top 10 overall https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/cowboys-profile-edge-randy-gregory/193913/
Prediction: 3rd pick of 2nd round (after the failed drug test) https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/28/2015-nfl-mock-draft-round-2
Top 10 pick if not for positive test https://www.nfl.com/news/randy-greg...failed-nfl-combine-drug-test-0ap3000000481581

So, 2 questions …

1. How do you know what all 32 NFL team's draft boards looked like
2. While obviously the failed drug test at the combine hurt his draft stock, do you really think a guy many or most people predicted as a top 10 overall pick would have fallen entirely off draft boards?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Even though we’d be down one until week 7. You must admit it’s still debatable which lineup would work better.