CFZ I believe the defense has figured it out

fivetwos

Reaction score
Since early LAST year, this defense has prided itself on rushing the passer. DQ has constructed the defense all about rushing the passer. And why not with players like Parsons, DLaw and the rest of the defensive ends? They’re deep with pass rushers. Then 2022 started and teams quickly learned that hell yeah, the Cowboys can rush the passer. That’s what they focus on. That’s what they live by. So we’ll just run the ball at them. And it worked. And Dallas hasn’t adjusted. They have continued to base their defense on rushing the QB.

Post Green Bay game.

Finally, we’re hearing that not only the players, but the coaches have realized that basing your defense on rushing the passer ain’t working. We’ve heard from Quinn. We’ve heard from Parsons. We’ve heard from Kearse and we’ve heard from others that things have changed. True, we have a great pass rushing defense, but unless we stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs to force a passing situation, we’re gonna lose. Our pass rushing defense means squat unless we do so. For the first time EVER, the Cowboys have given up back to back over 200 yards rushing. Any defense that can’t stop the run is more than likely gonna lose I don’t care who you have at QB.

Quinn should’ve realized this earlier. That’s on him for not doing so. He has told the team now finally to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. They’re still 6-3 and in the thick of things. Many here have quit. Given up. Shame on you.
I’m with you on this one. This isn’t exactly the best Cowboys squad of all time but looking at the rest of the conference…..how in the world do you actually give up?

We don’t even need to win it all. Just maybe GET to a NFCGC and we can shed certain droughts as an organization…..maybe even expect to win more so moving forward, dare I say…..

Proof

Reaction score
What don't you guys understand about simply keeping big DTs and building them up? Bohanna has done ok, but one expected more from him by now since this is his 2nd season and has had a chance to get stronger and learn the system better. Ridgeway is making some plays right now as a rookie for the Commanders, while last year Bohanna was not as a rookie for the Cowboys. See the difference and how it looks good for the Commanders that Ridgeway is going to be better for them next year. Ridgeway should have been here, but Dan Quinn is an impatient little butthole like some of you are. Don't have the vision that other teams' coaches do. Same goes for Connor Williams kicking *** as the best Center in the NFL for the Dolphins this year after the Cowboys cut him this past Spring. It's becoming clearer and clearer the Cowboys don't have the smartest coaches or the smartest fans.

i understand just fine was just questioning your logic because it’s conflicting and unsound.

ridgeway has 7 total tackles in 8 games. that’s not “making plays” and doesn’t move the needle even marginally. he couldn’t make the roster, just is what it is. had he made it to the practice squad they’d have held him and developed him (or tried to) but he didn’t. Jaylon Smith recovered two fumbles last week for the Giants, assuming we should have held on to him as well?

Also Conor williams is not the best center in football lol. he graded out number one like week one by pff. He graded out as the best linesman in the league period for us one week as well. pff is entertaining to say the least.

but yeah john ridgeway sucks. it’s a very odd hill to die on, and delusional to call out other fans and quinn over

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Since early LAST year, this defense has prided itself on rushing the passer. DQ has constructed the defense all about rushing the passer. And why not with players like Parsons, DLaw and the rest of the defensive ends? They’re deep with pass rushers. Then 2022 started and teams quickly learned that hell yeah, the Cowboys can rush the passer. That’s what they focus on. That’s what they live by. So we’ll just run the ball at them. And it worked. And Dallas hasn’t adjusted. They have continued to base their defense on rushing the QB.

Post Green Bay game.

Finally, we’re hearing that not only the players, but the coaches have realized that basing your defense on rushing the passer ain’t working. We’ve heard from Quinn. We’ve heard from Parsons. We’ve heard from Kearse and we’ve heard from others that things have changed. True, we have a great pass rushing defense, but unless we stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs to force a passing situation, we’re gonna lose. Our pass rushing defense means squat unless we do so. For the first time EVER, the Cowboys have given up back to back over 200 yards rushing. Any defense that can’t stop the run is more than likely gonna lose I don’t care who you have at QB.

Quinn should’ve realized this earlier. That’s on him for not doing so. He has told the team now finally to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. They’re still 6-3 and in the thick of things. Many here have quit. Given up. Shame on you.
They rarely make in season trades, and they went and got Hankins. I think to some degree they realized that was their achilles. Hopefully you are right and they realize it is more than personnel

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Post Green Bay game.

I will believe it, when I see it.

ICP

Reaction score
No, you’re quitters. Quitters quit in all important aspects of their life.
If we had 'quit' as you say, why do we still watch and follow the team? You accuse anyone that criticizes this teams ownership/management/player performance of being a quitter. The fact is many are tired of seeing a franchise they have probably been a fan of their whole life continue to fail due to what they see as incompetent ownership/coaching. I'd say we are bigger fans than you since we stick around despite the maddening frustration of watching them fail over and over again.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Think the Eagles were tough to play against last time, wait till we meet them with Suh and Joseph in the lineup.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Post Green Bay game.

Lets hope you are right...hound dog.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The defense needs to figure out how to stop the run. Our run defense has been an ongoing problem for years.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
As I've said before, a lot of this comes down to personnel. Has the team drafted power linemen who can control the line and contain? or- Has the team drafted athletic pass rushers who can get to the QB?

To some extent, you can't blame the coaches. It goes back to the draft, and the philosophy behind personnel decisions.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
As I've said before, a lot of this comes down to personnel. Has the team drafted power linemen who can control the line and contain? or- Has the team drafted athletic pass rushers who can get to the QB?

To some extent, you can't blame the coaches. It goes back to the draft, and the philosophy behind personnel decisions.

JJ

Defense...they need to pick up some slack. lol.

Do you ever think about how cool it would be to ask JJ some questions?

shabazz

Reaction score
The defense needs to figure out how to stop the run. Our run defense has been an ongoing problem for years.

The same defensive line coach with a whopping 2 years of experience at that position will not be questioned……he’s doing a helluva job

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
i understand just fine was just questioning your logic because it’s conflicting and unsound.

ridgeway has 7 total tackles in 8 games. that’s not “making plays” and doesn’t move the needle even marginally. he couldn’t make the roster, just is what it is. had he made it to the practice squad they’d have held him and developed him (or tried to) but he didn’t. Jaylon Smith recovered two fumbles last week for the Giants, assuming we should have held on to him as well?

Also Conor williams is not the best center in football lol. he graded out number one like week one by pff. He graded out as the best linesman in the league period for us one week as well. pff is entertaining to say the least.

but yeah john ridgeway sucks. it’s a very odd hill to die on, and delusional to call out other fans and quinn over
Darn right it's delusional to defend Quinn and fans defending Quinn's decisions when our D gets gashed for over 200 yards rushing in back-to-back games (a franchise record) and 150+ yards rushing for 4 games straight! Yet, the Commanders held the Eagles to under 100 yards and gave them Eagles their first loss of the season AT THEIR HOME! Meanwhile, we lost to the Eagles at their place while giving up 136 rushing yards earlier this season. That's when our D started the weekly streak of getting rushed upon for easily over 100 yards every game. You're happy about that? You want to defend Quinn over that?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If we had 'quit' as you say, why do we still watch and follow the team? You accuse anyone that criticizes this teams ownership/management/player performance of being a quitter. The fact is many are tired of seeing a franchise they have probably been a fan of their whole life continue to fail due to what they see as incompetent ownership/coaching. I'd say we are bigger fans than you since we stick around despite the maddening frustration of watching them fail over and over again.
Words matter. You watch so that you can come here and ***** and moan all the time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is what the Cowboys need to start doing on some first downs to help stop the run:

Ridgeway, who was claimed off waivers by the Commanders from the Dallas Cowboys in September, and his impact will not show up much in the box score. He only has five tackles in six games played this season, but his effect on the defense goes beyond numbers.

Where Ridgeway excels the most is when the Commanders line up with five defensive linemen at the line of scrimmage, otherwise known as the "cinco package." Ridgeway and his 321-pound frame can hold up double teams, allowing linebackers to move more freely.
100% correct!!! On this we agree.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the only thing they have figured out is, if they don't carry dak, they will get the blame for every loss. Rush said if you control the time you save the defense. Dak replied, I need my stats and I ain't handing the ball off to any RB.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m with you on this one. This isn’t exactly the best Cowboys squad of all time but looking at the rest of the conference…..how in the world do you actually give up?

We don’t even need to win it all. Just maybe GET to a NFCGC and we can shed certain droughts as an organization…..maybe even expect to win more so moving forward, dare I say…..
Agree. However, that would take an emphasis on the DT position, complete w/ disruptors and stuffers. And that is the one thing Jerry has proven to be unwilling to do.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Post Green Bay game.

I'll believe they've figured it out when they show me they've figured it out, which is the same point of view I have when it comes to postseason success.

I want to believe, but don't expect me to ignore what I've seen. Don't tell me, show me. Then, I'll believe. It's really not complicated. Put up or shut up.