I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

Ghost12

Reaction score
Whenever they tinker with it, they only make it worse.

It is not possible to draft this rule in a manner that makes all the people happy all the time. No matter where you place the line between catch and non-catch, there will always be plays taking place right on the line which have the aggrieved parties screaming bloody murder.

foofighters

Reaction score
Who cares. The NFL isn't what it used to be anyway. I am looking forward to watching the Dodgeball Championships on the Ocho!!!

phildadon86

Reaction score
Who cares. The NFL isn't what it used to be anyway. I am looking forward to watching the Dodgeball Championships on the Ocho!!!
Honestly I am at the point where I am about to step out of all of my fantasy leagues and boycott the entire NFL. Including the Cowboys. This league is a joke. Everything about last year just turned me off. Starting with the suspension to Zeke. Its a joke

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with this. This is why I call going to the ground a substitute for the 3-part process because if a receiver hasn't met all 3 parts then surviving the ground acts as a substitute for what was not accomplished, usually the part (c) portion of the rule which is time.

I think at the end of the day the key is that going to the ground (meaning a player who has no control over whether he is going to the ground, and cannot demonstrate that he is able to regain balance) falls in a different category than the 3 step process, which is why Item 1 is written separately from the 3 step process, and does not contain any language that ties it to the 3 step process.

foofighters

Reaction score
Honestly I am at the point where I am about to step out of all of my fantasy leagues and boycott the entire NFL. Including the Cowboys. This league is a joke. Everything about last year just turned me off. Starting with the suspension to Zeke. Its a joke
This last season was the first time I really stopped watching other team's games. I would turn those games on but it would just turn into background noise as I found something to do. It's a shell of its former self and I am finding other things to occupy my time with.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Ruh-Roh. That other thread is going to get to 500 pages when they bring in a new rule and apply it to the Dez catch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The rule hasn’t been “changed” in years. Clarifying the rule isn’t changing the rule. They need to CHANGE the rule.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think at the end of the day the key is that going to the ground (meaning a player who has no control over whether he is going to the ground, and cannot demonstrate that he is able to regain balance) falls in a different category than the 3 step process, which is why Item 1 is written separately from the 3 step process, and does not contain any language that ties it to the 3 step process.

Right. It is also why once you have the going to the ground rule slapped on you, its requirements take precedence unless you can prove you're not going to the ground. This is why number of steps a receiver takes are irrelevant with GTTG and why in caseplay 8.12, the receiver moving the ball to one arm isn't a football move to exempt him from the rule as others claim Dez did, but the lunge does exempt him because it changes his trajectory from the original route to the ground. That is why Blandino mentioned Dez' "momentum in going to the ground" because nothing interrupted it.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That sums it up!

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Right. It is also why once you have the going to the ground rule slapped on you, its requirements take precedence unless you can prove you're not going to the ground. This is why number of steps a receiver takes are irrelevant with GTTG and why in caseplay 8.12, the receiver moving the ball to one arm isn't a football move to exempt him from the rule as others claim Dez did, but the lunge does exempt him because it changes his trajectory from the original route to the ground. That is why Blandino mentioned Dez' "momentum in going to the ground" because nothing interrupted it.
Exactly. All someone needs to do in order to understand the rule is to read the last few posts.

Remarkable that it took 130+ pages.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's been a joke. Should've just left it alone years ago.

They should have left it alone but there was controversy with the old rule. A receiver would go up in the air, catch the ball and as they were falling to the ground if they lost the ball it would be called a fumble. The argument would be that they never had complete control of the ball which resulted in the current rule of forcing a receiver who’s going to the ground to have to hang onto the ball through the ground. With the old rule it was tough to determine exactly when the receiver would have complete control of the ball.

A lot of fumbles were being called when it appeared the receiver didn’t have complete control of the ball. This went on for years until they finally said enough is enough and they changed the rule to one that’s even more controversial. The old rule never created this much controversy and dispute.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Exactly. All someone needs to do in order to understand the rule is to read the last few posts.

Remarkable that it took 130+ pages.

At least it was mostly settled before the thread got moved to this Drama Zone, lol. Bookmark it for the next time a controversial catch comes up or they actually do change the rule for when people around here cry EX-POST FACTO CONSPIRACY!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you want to fix or improve the rule remove “going to the ground” as part of the rule. Don’t force a receiver who’s falling to the ground to have to survive the ground after clearly catching the ball. Most of these controversial overturnes of catches wouldn’t happen if you stop forcing a receiver to have to survive the ground. To me that’s a very simple fix of the rule. With all the many camera angles and super slo-mo HD replay it’s a lot easier to tell when a receiver has full control of the football.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And the same usual suspects will still sit here trying to convince everyone Dez didn't catch it. lol

But he didn't !!! Don't you understand that he didn't???!!! Do you all need mules to walk on walls to realize that he didn't ????

Just kidding. One thread is enough for me, lol.