I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Steratore knows the catch rule better than anyone. His crew did the Detroit game when Calvin Johnson’s catch was overturned. Most fans didn’t even know about that rule until that game.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The only difference I noticed was that Ertz didn't jump and hi point the ball, he caught it in stride and after three steps dove for the endzone.

Now does this matter? I guess it does according to the league.

And for the record, I still say the Dez play was a catch but its useless to debate it at this point..............it is what it is, I just hope they change it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only difference I noticed was that Ertz didn't jump and hi point the ball, he caught it in stride and after three steps dove for the endzone.

Now does this matter? I guess it does according to the league.

The fact that Ertz didn’t jump and high point the ball is a big difference. Keeping his feet on the ground enabled him to keep control of his body and immediately establish himself as a runner prior to lunging for the endzone. That’s a significant difference from the Dez play. Anyone who thinks these plays are the same couldn’t be more wrong.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Don't forget the ball NEVER touched the ground part. Kind of important.

Except .....

hjebbxvb03uwarb6g.jpg

MarcusRock

Reaction score
MarcusRock is yet another Eagles troll making his rounds... He'll argue (on shaky, post history, grounds) but don't bother responding.

If you need me to be an Eagles troll to deflect from not knowing the rules then go with that. Call me a Green Bay troll, call me an NFL troll. Do anything except discussing the rules, which is the point of the plays in the first place. You'd need to learn them first though anyway, which is why the name calling is necessary from you.

Cmac

Reaction score
I immediately thought of the Dez catch.....and for more present call.....the Pittsburgh catch. I did believe there's no way the Refs deny a TD in the SB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dez's UnCatch was a catch under the rules at the time
Moreover, it was ruled a catch *on the field*, and it's simply a joke to claim that there was *indisputable* visual evidence to over turn the call on the field, on probably the most disputed call of the decade

NFL officiating totally screwed the pooch on that call

Hadenough

Reaction score
The league was NOT going to reverse anything in this game....what a bunch of P's!!!
Exactly! If they reverse those calls the whole country is talking about it! If they let those calls go then just Dallas fans are talking about it!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think the Dez catch and stretch is much more similar than some think. Jesse James? Shepherd is NY was the absolute worst one, but Goddell set this up by talking about it as a bad rule that will be addressed, and doing it before the season ended May have affected the refs. The first TD to the RB was bobled before going out of bounds and lost in bobble again as he hit the ground. Even the announcer said we’ve seen those all season, and it’s always been incomplete. It could have just as easily been the Pats, but I think there’s no question the catches were called differently in the SB after the comments than for the past four years.

Good thing for the NFL. Bad timing for the Pats.

Sage3030

Reaction score
Steratore knows the catch rule better than anyone. His crew did the Detroit game when Calvin Johnson’s catch was overturned. Most fans didn’t even know about that rule until that game.

That must be why he ruled Dez caught it, and since he knows so much, and is an actual ref, and we know it wasn’t him that overturned the call.... Steratore is not a witness for your side.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I immediately thought of the Dez catch.....and for more present call.....the Pittsburgh catch. I did believe there's no way the Refs deny a TD in the SB.

I was thinking the exact same things. I guess the refs are cool denying a TD in a conference championship game but not the SB? Honestly, I could give two poops as to who won last night, but if you denied the Dez catch & the James catch, you need to deny the Ertz catch...plain and simple.

aria

Reaction score
And why is this still being talked about years later? Who freaking cares? There are good calls and bad calls made every game for and against us, just like every team. It’s pathetic that the Dez catch is still being talked about. It wasn’t to decide who won the Super Bowl and it’s sad that the game was even that close being that we were playing a one legged Aaron Rodgers who could barely move in the pocket and who had to use elementary plays just to stay in the game due to his immobility. Can we just get back to talking about how great Tony Romo is now?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"But it wasn't just Blandino justifying the rule. Steratore the referee did and so did former rules guy Mike Pereira during the broadcast. All of them were asked about Dez' lunge and all 3 said Dez needed to be more demonstrative in his lunge to be considered a football move"

So it wasn't so much about when he caught the ball but how "hard" he lunged? That's cutting the rule way too fine, if you start judging catches bases on degrees of lunges it becomes too subjective, which is what the rules are supposed to eliminate as much as possible.

Not a Lions fan, but if anybody was screwed over on this type of call it was Johnson, he made the catch and was just trying to get up off the ground by pushing up with the hand that had the ball in it, about as obvious as you can get the play was totally over, no interpretation of the "rule" was needed in that case. Even if he wasn't pushing up from the ground, after he caught the ball his kneed hit the ground before the ball did, which means he had "gone to the ground", if you say that's still not a catch now you're saying the ball itself has to go to the ground, which the rule doesn't even mention.

I think we all can agree the rule is now totally screwed up and needs to be changed.

Last edited: