I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What are you going to do. CONSPIRACY! conveniently doesn't require even a shred of proof. It's merely an emotional opinion in hyperdrive.

It’s a ridiculous excuse trying to make it seem like the league is against the Cowboys and that’s the reason they haven’t had much success the past 20+ years. It’s not the coaching or Jerry’s meddling ways that’s keeping the team from having playoff success and winning championships, it’s the league/officiating that’s holding them back.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Okay, you've got CAPS, and you've got exclamation points.

I notice that what you don't have is an explanation as to why Blandino looked for a football move that you say didn't matter.

What do you mean that I say didn't matter?

And are you ever going to weigh in on the examples I provided?

A WR catches a pass facing a QB, gets hit immediately from behind, they hit the ground, the ball pops out, no catch. Same situation but the defender holds up the runner, tries to strip the ball out, isn't successful, then just completes the tackle and the ball pops when hitting the ground again. In the second case, the official has to judge whether the WR had time enough to make a football move as the defender held him up (2014). In 2015, the official can deem him clearly a runner because he was held and prevented from making a football move. It is STILL a time determination the same as it was in 2014.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This was also not addressed regarding going to the ground trumping the 3-part process:

"It had just been a big deal. Everyone was watching to see how the rule would look. Blandino was even questioned if the Dez catch would be a catch by the 2015 rules. They were waiting to pounce. If the league had established that precedent in 2015, the media would have outright assaulted the NFL and even non-Cowboys fans would cry out that this was "fishy" business by the league. Did any of this happen? In all the articles published about NFL rule changes that year, especially the catch rule, is there any mention of that major change in the catch rule?"

BlindFaith

Reaction score
They went with the ruling on the field there. Interesting, huh?

“The official on the field ruled that the player had the ball long enough to be a runner, and if it’s not clear and obvious that he was not a runner, then the call on the field must stand,” Blandino said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rms-what-could-be-new-approach-to-catch-rule/

There's a reason why Blandino was fired. He can't explain for shyte.

The reason it was complete was because he maintained possession while contacting the ground. So I guess in essence he did become a runner. It's just not how I would explain why it was a catch.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Go back to when I addressed this case play's wording. It says that the act of a lunge is separate from ("not part of") the process of a catch. Again I will cut and paste:

If the casebook play is an example of a player completing the process of a catch while falling then they could do it in 2014 AND in 2015 since it appeared in both years' rules, right? There's no getting around that. And it means that nothing changed from 2014 to 2015 like you are attempting to shoehorn with the rule language.
Go back to where I explained to you how a lunge is a separate act from catching a pass.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I still haven't heard from anyone on the examples I cited:

A WR catches a pass facing a QB, gets hit immediately from behind, they hit the ground, the ball pops out, no catch. Same situation but the defender holds up the runner, tries to strip the ball out, isn't successful, then just completes the tackle and the ball pops when hitting the ground again. In the second case, the official has to judge whether the WR had time enough to make a football move as the defender held him up (2014). In 2015, the official can deem him clearly a runner because he was held and prevented from making a football move. It is STILL a time determination the same as it was in 2014.
Examples of what exactly?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
It’s close but his feet never left the ground to make the catch and he made a turn up field. According to the league that established him as a runner. Once a receiver establishes themselves as a runner it’s a catch regardless if they go to the ground immediately afterwords. Going to the ground has to be a one piece act during the process of trying to make a catch.
Doesn't matter. And part of the reason why people don't know what a catch is. If they have the going to the ground part in the rules, then when it's obvious that the player is going to the ground, they need to enforce it.

To me it's obvious that he was. So that trumps becoming a runner until he maintains possession through contacting the ground.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Examples of what exactly?

That an official could declare a player either had time to perform a football move (2014) or was clearly a runner solely based on time (2015) meaning nothing changed in the rules from 2014 to 2015 like you were saying it did. Whether you had "time enough" to perform an act (to be a runner) in 2014 or upright "long enough" to be a runner the rules are the same.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sure he did. Just like politicians resign. No one ever gets fired.

Provide a link where it says he got fired. He resigned to take a TV job to explain the rules. So much for your claim that he can’t explain bleep.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Thomas, in Blandinos eyes, was not going to the ground until AFTER he already became a runner.
There's not one word about the football move having to happen before Thomas started going to the ground. Not one.

Think of all the controversial plays that weren't ruled catches prior to 2015. Remember, you're looking for a play where Blandino says the catch didn't count because the player could not make a football move while falling

Just one play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. And part of the reason why people don't know what a catch is. If they have the going to the ground part in the rules, then when it's obvious that the player is going to the ground, they need to enforce it.

To me it's obvious that he was. So that trumps becoming a runner until he maintains possession through contacting the ground.

I agree with the Fitz call but it’s close. He kept his feet on the ground, made the catch and turned up field. Very similar to the Ertz play. A lot of these calls come down to judgment because some are very close. Not all are going to be clear cut.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A wise man would stop trying to debate it with them. :laugh:

Run Forrest...run!:)

tumblr_m15j74gjY71qei12m.jpg