I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Wasn't that in the 3rd quarter? I think going for the end zone on 4th and 2 was much more pivotal in the 4th quarter.

It was the 3rd Quarter with 11:04 left and Dallas up 14-10. Big play but not extremely pivotal, IMO. People say Murray would have scored but I don't know if 28 from Green Bay gets him for a gain of 10 or so plus there was a safety down field.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was the 3rd Quarter with 11:04 left and Dallas up 14-10. Big play but not extremely pivotal, IMO. People say Murray would have scored but I don't know if 28 from Green Bay gets him for a gain of 10 or so plus there was a safety down field.
It led to a GB FG but we were still ahead.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Once the reverse angle the field official was not privy to clearly showed the ball hit the ground, then it was an open and shut case.
If the ball hitting the ground were all there were to the play, then there wouldn't have been any reason for Blandino to address the reach.

Which brings us back to, "Why did he look for a football move that you say didn't matter?"

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not what I asked you. I asked you are there observable acts an official can see that demonstrates if someone has clearly become a runner?

The words football move, or "act common to the game" were replaced but go up a few lines here to the question I asked you.

You missed something.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It led to a GB FG but we were still ahead.

We were still ahead 14-13 and when we got the ball back we drove 80 yards in 6 plays to take a 20-13 lead just before the start of the 4th quarter. In the 4th our defense started to cave. Even after the Dez overturn we still had 4 minutes to make a stop and get the ball back but we never saw it again. Rodgers was able to start taking a knee with 1:41 left.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
At least someone finally addressed that contradiction of saying that caseplay was a good example to prove Dez did not catch it.

Thank you for seeing it and pointing that out.

Others won’t even address the fact that either the casebook play was wrong or since the play was nearly identical to the Dez catch then that made the Dez catch a completion.

I disagree the case play is wrong, but I respect the fact you’d admit it had to be. Others can’t.

So I think the reason there is confusion is really based on what the actual rules say and then what these use cases say.

The rules are clear as they stand alone. My argument has always been to explain how the rules show Dez didn't catch the ball.

In my opinion, the case play that folks are hanging on to from 2014 and I believe the year before, where they talk about a player "bracing" themselves on the

So I'm done debating this. If the case play was an actual rule then it should have been defined as one. And the definition would then include actual language to say how and what qualifies as a football move while going to the ground.

It seems the case play was there to provide an out for officials to call going to the ground plays that look like catches as catches. The point the he caught it gang are trying to prove. If that is the intent, then define in the rule what qualifies as becoming a runner while going to the ground.

The problem with that, as Pereira has said, is that it becomes hard to do. But they can't try and have it both ways. That's why everyone is confused.

Here's how I see the rule today.

You really have two situations where a player can catch a ball.
1. If he is upright
2. If he is falling

So now how do you define what a catch is for both?

If a player is upright they can become a runner. This is to give them time to secure the ball. So you have:
1. Possess the ball
2. Two feet down while possessing the ball

Now you could simply stop there. Some would say you should. That is really all a catch should be. But if you did you would see many more fumbles. So they interjected:
3. Become a runner

Becoming a runner or making an act or having time. This is all there to allow the player to protect himself and secure the ball. This is a judgement call.

Now, if a player is falling. This is a bigger judgment call. And, as in the Fitz, I don't agree with the judgement made.

To deem a player is going to the ground you have to believe that the player would have no way of staying upright. If you determine this then they injected this:
3. Maintain control through the process of contacting the ground.

That, to me, is the equivalent of becoming a runner for a player who is upright. Since you can't run while you are falling. If you are falling, you first hit the ground. You can then get back up and run, but an additional act of getting off the ground is required.

So there should be no mention of making a common act or becoming a runner while someone is falling. And you are either upright or falling. And those are judgement calls. And if you are falling, you can't become a runner.

Now, you could remove maintaining control from a player going to the ground. Just like you could remove becoming a runner for an upright player. So a player falling would simply need to possess the ball and as soon as he has two feet down, or more likely, have any other part of his body touch the ground, then it's a catch. That's what a lot of people would think a catch to be. But again, now you are opening up the chance for many more fumbles.

But what we can't have is some mix match interpretation where there is some reference to being able to become a runner while falling. That's why I've said that the rules need to be rewritten so at least we all know what it is they are looking for and enforcing.

Now if they want to remove become a runner for an upright player or remove maintain control through contacting the ground for a falling player, fine.

Or if they want to allow for some other measure of security for a player who is falling. Fine. But then clearly define that in the rule and not try to kind of have that, but not really.

I don't if any of this helps. It's just how I see it. I believe it's how Pereira sees it. If you or anyone else see it differently then so be it. But I'm done talking about it until or if they change the rule.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He wasn’t fired he resigned.
I know he "resigned". But there is resigning and there is you suck at your job and instead of firing you we will try to fake everybody out and say you resigned, even though it doesn't fake anyone else out because we know Blandino is an idiot and should have never had that job in the first place.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Right. So CONSPIRACY! makes an appearance again. Are you even serious with this? An organization teeming with lawyers "forgot" to remove a rule that would have properly covered up their "goof." Goodness, man.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
If the Fitz call was ruled a catch it was ruled a catch for the same reason the Thomas play and Ertz play was ruled a catch. They were all on their feet. Dez went up and was coming down all the way.
Here's the thing though. You don't have to be jumping up in the air to then be falling. You can be falling while still on the ground.

I thought Fitz was falling. I did not feel Ertz was falling. These are judgment calls.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I don't know how you guys can continue to try and rephrase the same arguments and explanations while these guys continue to ignore the evidence provided which includes official NFL case plays, the history of similar plays, the NFL's explanation of what they look for, etc. and the questions you ask that destroy their arguments. They do this while they are inserting things into the rules based on their flawed interpretations of the rule and the terms involved. I tried to argue along in previous threads but determined they are a lost cause with their reliance on logical fallacies at every turn.

Kudos.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know he "resigned". But there is resigning and there is you suck at your job and instead of firing you we will try to fake everybody out and say you resigned, even though it doesn't fake anyone else out because we know Blandino is an idiot and should have never had that job in the first place.

That’s not what happened. Everyone in Cowboys Nation think he’s an idiot and are saying he sucked at his job because of the Dez play but he was very well respected in the NFL. A lot of what we see in replay he implemented years ago. He was set to make the final call on replay reviews this past season when he unexpectedly resigned. He wanted to spend more time with his family and he took a Network job that’s not as demanding. Everyone here would like to think he was fired or forced out but that didn’t happen.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/100457328

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Everyone here would like to think he was fired or forced out but that didn’t happen.

But it feeds the CONSPIRACY! machine so they run with it. No proof is ever needed then. I saw an article where Pereira said that the job is demanding and you have to be available for all the games that go on in addition to the other duties, sometimes putting in 80 hours. With 2 young kids you have think about the tradeoff of having a job like that and being a present parent.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Here's the thing though. You don't have to be jumping up in the air to then be falling. You can be falling while still on the ground.

I thought Fitz was falling. I did not feel Ertz was falling. These are judgment calls.

You're right about falling while on the ground. The James play is where this happened.

And yes, they are judgment calls. I thought Fitz, who was facing his QB (that's important), turned around and started upfield. Again, he's on his feet when he catches it so the standard for a catch is a lot simpler in that case versus when you jump high for a ball.

I also think this is why getting rid of replay won't do much to quell controversy because then you're stuck with those judgments without a way to take a second look. It's basically back to the time when everyone was screaming FOR replay.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That’s not what happened. Everyone in Cowboys Nation think he’s an idiot and are saying he sucked at his job because of the Dez play but he was very well respected in the NFL. A lot of what we see in replay he implemented years ago. He was set to make the final call on replay reviews this past season when he unexpectedly resigned. He wanted to spend more time with his family and he took a Network job that’s not as demanding. Everyone here would like to think he was fired or forced out but that didn’t happen.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/100457328
Are you related to him. You're about the only one to defend him. He cast confusion around this whole topic with his flip flopping and vague references.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
But it feeds the CONSPIRACY! machine so they run with it. No proof is ever needed then. I saw an article where Pereira said that the job is demanding and you have to be available for all the games that go on in addition to the other duties, sometimes putting in 80 hours. With 2 young kids you have think about the tradeoff of having a job like that and being a present parent.

It feeds everyone in Cowboys Nation who hates Blandino and thinks he butchered the call. In their minds his head finally rolled because of the Dez call. The job for Blandino became more demanding a few years ago when he started providing an extra set of eyes on replay reviews. It was going to get even more demanding this past season when he was set to make the final calls on replay reviews. Prior to this past season the on the field official still had the final word on replay calls at least according to Blandino.

Officiating is a thankless job just look at the fan abuse officials take. Since the Dez overturn Blandino became public enemy number one around Cowboys Nation. He’s gotten the blame from many for the catch rule. Wouldn’t surprise me if he received some death threats over the Dez overturn. I think the job demands and the scrutiny from fans led him to step down. He has a job now where he gets to talk about calls and it’s not nearly as demanding.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
You're right about falling while on the ground. The James play is where this happened.

And yes, they are judgment calls. I thought Fitz, who was facing his QB (that's important), turned around and started upfield. Again, he's on his feet when he catches it so the standard for a catch is a lot simpler in that case versus when you jump high for a ball.
But this is what needs clarifying then. To me you are falling or you are not.

You can't say, yeah he's falling but he turned his shoulders and was kinda on his feet. So we'll say he's a runner. This is what pisses people off. Because it's not how the rule is written.

If you want to allow it, then specifically write the rules to say that.
1. If a player, while going to the ground, running laterally to the line of scrimmage is able to turn up field, then it's a catch.

Hey, if you want to say that if a player takes X number of steps while falling then it's a catch. Fine.

But the problem with every thing you could add as allowing a catch for a player who is falling is yet another judgment call.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Are you related to him. You're about the only one to defend him. He cast confusion around this whole topic with his flip flopping and vague references.

I’m giving an honest, candid opinion about him. Your opinion is from a jilted fans point of view because you’re still angry over the Dez overturn. Blandino is very intelligent, it’s evident in his explanation of calls. His ability to articulate these calls is one reason he’s been put in front of a camera to do it. He was on a number of shows having to explain the Dez overturn and did an excellent job trying to explain a confusing rule that’s angered many fans. It’s his knowledge and ability to break these calls down that’s got him a Network job doing it. I can listen to someone and tell instantly how intelligent they are and Blandino is highly intelligent.

He understands how everyone feels about this rule and how much they hate it. It’s not Blandino casting confusion, it’s the rule and what’s required in making a legal catch that confuses everyone. It’s a hard rule to try and make fans understand because there’s so much judgment involved and so many oppose it. You have some out there who probably had trouble learning their ABCs growing up so good luck trying to convey this rule to them. There’s a lot of dumb fans out there just look at some of the idiocy that’s posted here. There’s some here that are still arguing that the ball never touched the ground despite undisputed visual evidence.

There’s a fan on this board who’s still denying the ball touched the ground despite a couple of blown up pictures that clearly show the entire belly of the ball on the ground. You’re dealing with some here who are floating around in another solar system somewhere. Some of the things that are being posted here are so incredibly ludicrous it’s hard to tell if these fans are being serious or are just trying to be funny. Some of the things that are being posted make you question the sanity of some.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The problem is that people mistakenly define "goes to the ground" as simply falling, when it includes contacting the ground. So a player can't "go to the ground" until they have contacted the ground. Thus, control, 2 feet down, and a move common to the game prior to the point of contact = catch (by 2014 rules). This is clearly reinforced by how the NFL ruled plays in the past, by their casebook, their explanations of what was looked for, and by common sense and logic.

The wording used was poorly chosen, and easily could have been more clear by saying "contacts the ground" instead, but it is what it is. Ironically, the current rule uses the term "initial contact with the ground" but the language is not followed at all (they rule far beyond anything "initial").

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The problem is that people mistakenly define "goes to the ground" as simply falling, when it includes contacting the ground. So a player can't "go to the ground" until they have contacted the ground. Thus, control, 2 feet down, and a move common to the game prior to the point of contact = catch (by 2014 rules). This is clearly reinforced by how the NFL ruled plays in the past, by their casebook, their explanations of what was looked for, and by common sense and logic.

The wording used was poorly chosen, and easily could have been more clear by saying "contacts the ground" instead, but it is what it is. Ironically, the current rule uses the term "initial contact with the ground" but the language is not followed at all (they rule far beyond anything "initial").

Going to the ground is falling. It’s the receivers momentum taking them to the ground. When a receiver goes up after the ball, especially when battling a defender their concentration is focused on catching and securing the ball. Their momentum then starts taking them to the ground and most often times they lose their balance when their feet contact the ground and they fall. This happened to Calvin Johnson and Dez. This all occurs in one piece. A drunk could be on their feet staggering around but that’s not going pass a sobriety test. A receiver landing on the ground stumbling and falling isn’t going to establish them as a runner regardless of steps taken.

A receiver has to be more upright and in control of their body to establish themselves as a runner and this can only happen in most instances when their feet remain in contact with the ground during a catch. Even as freakish and athletic as receivers are today it’s very difficult for them to high point a football in midair while battling a defender and not have their momentum cause them to fall to the ground. Contact with the defender and the ground causes them to fall.