I don't get it millions of young coaches out there with new ideas

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Semi proven young coaches with new ideas, new looks, new schemes and we keep hiring and promoting ex players some who were never any good. None of us wanted Kellen here as a QB coach and thought that was a joke in itself and now he's gonna be our OC. The whole Garrett calling plays thing while HC never worked out so that shouldn't be considered and if it is you better be prepared for even more gameday, big moment blunders.
You got Marc Columbo who now seems is going to be our offensive lines coach. I have more faith in having T Fred come back to operate the Oline than I do Columbo coaching it. No disrespect to him, it would just be nice to have him as an assistant to the Oline.
I wonder if Will McClay has any say in any of the coaching staff decisions or if he is strictly involved in player personnel because he has turned this team around and quickly into a contender and it seems the only thing lacking and holding us back is our coaching staff and having a bunch of unproven rookie coaches under an unproven, underachieving HC seems like a recipe for disaster. Im just sick and tired of watching a talented young roster being wasted. We did it throughout Romos career and now it looks like we are going to do it all over again.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Semi proven young coaches with new ideas, new looks, new schemes and we keep hiring and promoting ex players some who were never any good. None of us wanted Kellen here as a QB coach and thought that was a joke in itself and now he's gonna be our OC. The whole Garrett calling plays thing while HC never worked out so that shouldn't be considered and if it is you better be prepared for even more gameday, big moment blunders.
You got Marc Columbo who now seems is going to be our offensive lines coach. I have more faith in having T Fred come back to operate the Oline than I do Columbo coaching it. No disrespect to him, it would just be nice to have him as an assistant to the Oline.
I wonder if Will McClay has any say in any of the coaching staff decisions or if he is strictly involved in player personnel because he has turned this team around and quickly into a contender and it seems the only thing lacking and holding us back is our coaching staff and having a bunch of unproven rookie coaches under an unproven, underachieving HC seems like a recipe for disaster. Im just sick and tired of watching a talented young roster being wasted. We did it throughout Romos career and now it looks like we are going to do it all over again.
So when you were at practice and in the film room how did you think Kellen did as a QB coach?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Take a look at this ......may surprise you. During his tenure, Garrett's offense hasn't been nowhere near as bad as many would you believe. If anything it's been inconsistent......

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/index.htm

robjay04

Reaction score

You do realize a lot of good coaches are former players that couldn’t cut it?

Doug Pederson was a career backup who stunk when he got the chance to play.

He retired, became a HS head coach for a few years. He got a job as a “offensive quality control coordinator” for the Eagles for one season and then became the QB coach for one season...then he was the coordinator. He turned out pretty good.

His experience before becoming a coordinator isn’t far off from Moore’s experience.

I won’t argue that there aren’t better candidates but saying there are “millions of others” more qualified is nonsense. Usually an existing head coaching staff hires people they’re familiar with...don’t expect an outsider.

Also...using a coaches playing career as a way to discredit him from being a coach is absurd.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Semi proven young coaches with new ideas, new looks, new schemes and we keep hiring and promoting ex players some who were never any good.

Not defending JG or Moore, but the notion that a good player will be a good coach has been wrong on multiple occasions in every sport. Many successful coaches/managers were lousy to mediocre as players.

It can be hard for a great player to teach others who have less talent because they can't relate to that. They had so much skill they didn't have to rely on technique and knowledge. A guy who had to scrape for anything he could get can get down to the players level because he's been there. He knows what it's like to look for every possible edge because he couldn't just rely on natural ability.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So many false notions in here.

First is the suggestion that there is a problem with having a coach that wasn’t that good as a player. Look around the NFL and find all the coaches that were outstanding former players. Do you really think that’s the norm? Far and away most never even made it to the NFL at all, and they were never remotely close to even the college player Kellen Moore was. Of course, if you want a quality former player coaching, Colombo fits that criteria, but you don’t like him either.

Second, all of us did not think of Moore as a joke at QB coach. Most had some concerns about his lack of experience, and I did as well, but ultimately QB coach is not a top level coaching position, and Moore is highly thought of by everyone that has ever played with him or coached him, so I was willing to take a wait and see approach.

As for Kellen Moore becoming OC, the one reasonable concern is his lack of experience. Not how well he did as a player - by that criteria he would be an elite candidate for OC compared to other NFL OCs. As for Colombo, everything I’ve read and heard indicate the O-Line took a turn for the better once Alexander got canned and Colombo took over.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

By promoting from within it assures guys like Jerry and Garrett that they will remain in control. All Moore as OC means is that we will generally have the same Garrett offense and scheme with a few new wrinkles.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not defending JG or Moore, but the notion that a good player will be a good coach has been wrong on multiple occasions in every sport. Many successful coaches/managers were lousy to mediocre as players.

It can be hard for a great player to teach others who have less talent because they can't relate to that. They had so much skill they didn't have to rely on technique and knowledge. A guy who had to scrape for anything he could get can get down to the players level because he's been there. He knows what it's like to look for every possible edge because he couldn't just rely on natural ability.

And where is it written that bad players with little to no experience coaching will be great coaches from day 1?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

He retired, became a HS head coach for a few years. He got a job as a “offensive quality control coordinator” for the Eagles for one season and then became the QB coach for one season...then he was the coordinator. He turned out pretty good.

His experience before becoming a coordinator isn’t far off from Moore’s experience.

I won’t argue that there aren’t better candidates but saying there are “millions of others” more qualified is nonsense. Usually an existing head coaching staff hires people they’re familiar with...don’t expect an outsider.

Also...using a coaches playing career as a way to discredit him from being a coach is absurd.
Jimmy Johnson wasn't a great player either, if that helps get your point across.

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
So I take it running it up the middle on 4th and 1 isn't being creative enough for you?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Doug Pederson lived the dream. He was a back-up QB for 13 seasons, got paid a ton of money, and barely took a hit. In my next life, I would like to "not cut it" , if thats the bar.

Great coaches are cut in this mold. Most were college football players who either couldn't make it in the NFL or barely sniffed the field. In fact, I can't think of a single great coach who was also a great NFL player. Ditka comes closest but he was just an average NFL TE.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson wasn't a great player either, if that helps get your point across.
Yep

Generally the more successful HC’s were over achievers as players . Lunch pale (did I spell that right) carriers on the most. And that type of work ethic is required from coaches.

Great athletes everything always came so easy to them. They never had to be concerned about making rosters . Sure, they worked hard but their natural ability carried them.

And why I believe on the most part ( some exceptions) we see more of these type of explayers make greater HC’s.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep

Generally the more successful HC’s were over achievers as players . Lunch pale (did I spell that right) carriers on the most. And that type of work ethic is required from coaches.

Great athletes everything always came so easy to them. They never had to be concerned about making rosters . Sure, they worked hard but their natural ability carried them.

And why I believe on the most part ( some exceptions) we see more of these type of explayers make greater HC’s than elite talented explayers.
To answer your question, "pail" is the one you wanted. ;)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the life we live with Jerry’s agendas. We aren’t going to have the best coaches.

robjay04

Reaction score
Doug Pederson lived the dream. He was a back-up QB for 13 seasons, got paid a ton of money, and barely took a hit. In my next life, I would like to "not cut it" , if thats the bar.

Great coaches are cut in this mold. Most were college football players who either couldn't make it in the NFL or barely sniffed the field. In fact, I can't think of a single great coach who was also a great NFL player. Ditka comes closest but he was just an average NFL TE.

Exactly

“Great” NFL players usually retire from the NFL with a lot of money or at the very least a full time job in the local or national market analyzing games in some fashion. No need to enter into a stressful, demanding job in “retirement”.