I don't understand the Jones family at all

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I personally think that the football culture in Dallas is bad because of lack of accountability. I would say that the relationship that Garrett has with the players is too buddy buddy and when that happens it makes it uneasy, as a coach, to call out players. He's not the best coach in Cowboys history (that's Landry) but my favorite coach was Jimmy Johnson. He's my favorite because not only did he find good players but he got everything out of them not because they loved him so much but because they feared letting him down and what that could do to their careers. No one in Dallas is uncomfortable, Romo, Dez, Witten, the oline, the dline, the secondary, whose playing for their jobs? Whose playing to not get called out in the media for a bad performance? If a bad performance happens in Dallas then Garrett will hem/haw around said players performance and cover for him. In today's NFL the salary caps even everything out which makes it a 3 point league, coaching can make a difference, a culture of accountability can make a difference and in Dallas I just don't see those things as being positives.

JImmy Johnson coached a bunch of coke heads and didnt care what the stars did. Remember different rules for different players. This team kept a house right by VR where they would go do drugs and buy hookers. Jimmy was a great coach for the pre salary cap era. How did that salary cap work in MIami? dolphins are still waiting for their money back. Jerrys money made Jimmy a great coach.

But you want to mention accountability and then talk about Jimmy? hahaha

plasticman

Reaction score
This family isn't as serious about winning as they are about getting the credit for winning.

I don't mean in the context of being the owner of the team. That's nor good enough. Jerry Jones. He wants to be known as the architect of the team itself. He wants to be known as an expert in assembling a winning team. He doesn't want to be the guy known for hiring the architect.

This is ridiculous.

This is like buying a five star restaurant that wins a prestigious award for culinary excellence and then wanting the credit because you own the place.

I wouldn't be surprised if he secretly appointed himself the Head Chef and was miffed to discover the culinary world gave the credit to the renouned chef he hired. He would probably claim that 500 chef could have created the away winning cuisine.

Most general managers in the NFL work their butts off for 20 to 30 years starting as intern scouts and rising only when successful.

They earned their way up every step.

It is so disrespectful to the entire profession when a person suggests that Jerry Jones should be credited for the hard work of these professionals.

Being credited for his hiring is not good enough. Making hundreds of millions of dollars off their success is not good enough. Receiving the accolades of fans all over the world for making the bright choice that restored this team back to its glory years is not good enough.

No, he has to be the king of the party, everyone should listen to his expert opinion on football. Who needs credentials when you can make sure you are one talking the most.

Its easy. All you have to do is saay it enough times and eventually fans will begin to believe it no matter how ridiculous the idea it isbthat someone can master a profession by osmosis.

Of course, the fact that success as the architect never happens is incidental. Its just a matter of time......if you live forever.

Junglist

Reaction score
It is pretty simple , they are spoiled billionaires, and the cowboy team is their toy.
They like to play with their toy, and talk to the media.
They would like to have a top winning team, but dont know how, but they like playing with the toy
more than they want to have a winner.

It is sort of like a real big guy owns the worlds fastest horse, but he wants to be the one to ride it, he is too big so
he will never win a race, but he likes to ride it so he keeps riding it and losing.

There new Valley Ranch (The Star) is going to have a VIP club area, complete with chefs. There will also be a swimming pool, for a PRACTICE facility. Jerry cares more about building monuments to himself than building a winning football team.

birdwells1

Reaction score
JImmy Johnson coached a bunch of coke heads and didnt care what the stars did. Remember different rules for different players. This team kept a house right by VR where they would go do drugs and buy hookers. Jimmy was a great coach for the pre salary cap era. How did that salary cap work in MIami? dolphins are still waiting for their money back. Jerrys money made Jimmy a great coach.

Well that's all true but I didn't see you mention the 2 Super Bowls we won with him as a head coach and the 1 Barry won with his team. I also didn't see you mention this squads woman beater (Hardy), mother beater (Dez), numerous issues with Ro McClain, former underwear thief and woman beater (Joseph Randle), and alcoholic and murderer (Josh Brent). All these guy played under Garrett as head coach and we've won nothing so what does that say about this era?

The accountability that I'm referring to is on the football field, all teams are going to have some bad apples but at least Jimmy won with his.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
This family isn't as serious about winning as they are about getting the credit for winning.

I don't mean in the context of being the owner of the team. That's nor good enough. Jerry Jones. He wants to be known as the architect of the team itself. He wants to be known as an expert in assembling a winning team. He doesn't want to be the guy known for hiring the architect.

This is ridiculous.

This is like buying a five star restaurant that wins a prestigious award for culinary excellence and then wanting the credit because you own the place.

I wouldn't be surprised if he secretly appointed himself the Head Chef and was miffed to discover the culinary world gave the credit to the renouned chef he hired. He would probably claim that 500 chef could have created the away winning cuisine.

Most general managers in the NFL work their butts off for 20 to 30 years starting as intern scouts and rising only when successful.

It is so disrespectful to the entire profession when a person suggests that Jerry Jones should be credited for the hard work of these professionals.

Being credited for his hiring is not good enough. Making hundreds of millions of dollars off their success is not good enough. Receiving the accolades of fans all over the world for making the bright choice that restored this team back to its glory years is not good enough.

No, he has to be the king of the party, everyone should listen to his expert opinion on football. Who needs credentials when you can make sure you are one talking the most.

Its easy. All you have to do is saay it enough times and eventually fans will begin to believe it no matter how ridiculous the idea it isbthat someone can master a profession by osmosis.

Of course, the fact that success as the architect never happens is incidental. Its just a matter of time......if you live forever.

Excellent post and great insight -

However, when it comes to every other GM who busted their butts all those years to get where they are just remember that none of them, not one, has ever opened at Victoria's Secret during their work day.

I'd bet a dollar 'Ole Jer has thought that to himself.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
And THIS is exactly why a coach that can make a difference is what separates the good teams from the rest in this league. We couldnt even milk ONE single solitary win out of our time w/o Romo. Our "coach" couldnt make enough difference to get ONE win when he needed to step up.

Actually we did get a win from our coach we beat the skins but talent also goes a long way in this league. To think this team is 4-10 solely because of Garrett is short sighted and naïve.

Coy

Reaction score

Well, he was there for 4 seasons, didn't have a losing season and made the playoffs 3 years while winning 2 games. Not to bad considering he didn't have good teams, Marino was a shell of himself.
Not the greatest tenure for sure but a 1000 times better than Garrett's here in Dallas.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Well, he was there for 4 seasons, didn't have a losing season and made the playoffs 3 years while winning 2 games. Not to bad considering he didn't have good teams, Marino was a shell of himself.
Not the greatest tenure for sure but a 1000 times better than Garrett's here in Dallas.

And he basically went there, because he wanted to live in Miami under the sun, while getting a last pay check... He was basically retired..

That's why he still lives there and spends his time in a boat outside whatever little he does during the season broadcast of games......

khiladi

Reaction score
Actually we did get a win from our coach we beat the skins but talent also goes a long way in this league. To think this team is 4-10 solely because of Garrett is short sighted and naïve.

We got a win because Desean Jacksom pulled the stupidest move in KR history.. Garrett did everything to give the Commanders the win..

If that's your example of Garrett giving us the win, then...

kazzd58

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Moore gave us a better chance of winning. Cassel led us right down the field on the first drive.

Even after Cassel's Flail Mary and Moore's lob ball things were still about the same. The D still kept us in it after another bad INT from Moore.

Relying on an undersized, underarmed lefty with 4 years in the league and 0 snaps is not exactly playing to win.

you mean Lucky's big run? oh ok I thought you sd Cassel lead us down the field...

daveferr33

Reaction score

Your argument is in real trouble when you have to resort to trashing a 2-time SB champion and architect a dynasty.

Dodger12

Reaction score

And went 4 and 1 with a back-up QB in his final season which is some insurmountable mountain here in Dallas. Funny how Garrett is viewed as some success story for his defenders who then point to Johnson as being a "failure" in Miami, yet he's been better than Garrett in just about every area. And at the end of the day, who really cares what he did in Miami? He's responsible for 3 SB's here in Dallas.

daveferr33

Reaction score

I couldn't agree more.

The sad part is Stephen was 23 when Jerry bought the team. He had the opportunity to become a real GM. He could have started in the scouting department as an intern and worked his way up from there. But guys like Stephen, they take the executive role out of college, or in his instance, once his father buys the company (i.e., team).

As you point out, these guys have no respect for the profession. They have no respect for experience or time spent honing one's craft. That is probably why it was not at all difficult for him to hire a Jason Garrett (as his very first hire after Parcels), with a resume consisting of 2 years as a qb coach on a failed staff.

That, to me, is the problem with the culture in Dallas. Its run by a bunch of amateurs who are not acceptable to anybody and have absolutely no respect for the time and effort it takes to be successful in this league.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
We got a win because Desean Jacksom pulled the stupidest move in KR history.. Garrett did everything to give the Commanders the win..

If that's your example of Garrett giving us the win, then...

So the wins are because of something someone else did, and the loses are all Garrett. Yea I see your thinking :rolleyes:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Your argument is in real trouble when you have to resort to trashing a 2-time SB champion and architect a dynasty.

Jimmy was a quitter. He wanted to leave to Florida. That's where he wanted to be. Ex players blame him just as much as Jerry in that mess. Aikman actually talked about it I think it was last thanksgiving game vs philly. Put the blame on two ego driven people.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I was listening to this week's BIll Simmons podcast and Cousin Sal (Bill's friend) described mingling with the family at the Jets game. Sal is a big Cowboys fan so he takes this stuff as hard as we do. He said that from being in the box they had a lot of confidence in Moore and from the beginning of the game it had already been decided that Cassel would be benched. Basically they knew Cassel was gonna suck, but let him start the game anyway and hang himself. He said after the game it was very somber, like the Jones expected and wanted to win. That part is what puzzles me. If this family wants to win so bad, why are they so destructive to the football culture of the organization? It seems like they really don't get and that's just as bad as just not caring really.

This sounds like horse ****, but I digress. The Jones family is far easier to understand than women. o_O :laugh:

khiladi

Reaction score
So the wins are because of something someone else did, and the loses are all Garrett. Yea I see your thinking :rolleyes:

And Garrett couldn't win, because of the culture left by Wade, Rob Ryab, the offensive line, the fact that Dez didn't know the playbook, Romo kept checking out of run plays Garrett had called and so on.. Oh yeah, now it's not his fault he was saddled with these back ups..

I see your thinking...