I don't understand the Jones family at all

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
That's part of the problem. Jones can (and has) mess up as many times as he wants, and he won't get fired. Does anyone really think he would have lasted as a GM on another team more than 5 years after Switzer left? I don't.

This is true. So true Jones has admitted it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It is pretty simple , they are spoiled billionaires, and the cowboy team is their toy.
They like to play with their toy, and talk to the media.
They would like to have a top winning team, but dont know how, but they like playing with the toy
more than they want to have a winner.

It is sort of like a real big guy owns the worlds fastest horse, but he wants to be the one to ride it, he is too big so
he will never win a race, but he likes to ride it so he keeps riding it and losing.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Not sure this is accurate. Deion was a beast in a Cowboys uniform and it wasn't until his last year when he had some kind of turf toe injury that caused him to miss some games that we did not get our money's worth. Deion consistently played at an All-Pro level when he was here.

During the 2002 season, Sanders was a frequent guest commentator on Monday Night Football. On an amusing note, during a Monday Night Football game between Dallas and Washington that year, it was mentioned that Sanders, who was part of the broadcast team for the game, was still collecting salaries from both teams as part of the contracts he had held with each.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
then he should be even more motivated to win, I guarantee profits rise in direct relation to the quality of the team

winning trumps all, the other junk like selling panties, art on the walls, etc is only possible because of a brand that was built through years of success. The Cowboys wouldn't be Americas Team if Landry had presided over a 20 year losing streak.

Everything but winning is just noise
I've made that same argument before (in discussions with Cowboy haters about Jerry Jones' involvement with the team.) I just don't know if Jerry KNOWS the formula for winning....he got the 3 Super Bowls he has because of Jimmy's expertise. Why he won't hire someone who knows the football end of the business better than he does is a mystery. A very frustrating mystery.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Moore didn't get put in the game because he is great. He was put in because sticking with Cassel pretty much guaranteed a loss, and perhaps total collapse. Everyone saw it. The rest of the offense was going through the motions when Cassel was out there.

Dodger12

Reaction score
During the 2002 season, Sanders was a frequent guest commentator on Monday Night Football. On an amusing note, during a Monday Night Football game between Dallas and Washington that year, it was mentioned that Sanders, who was part of the broadcast team for the game, was still collecting salaries from both teams as part of the contracts he had held with each.

I misunderstood then. I thought you meant while he was still on the team and he was past his prime during those years or not earning his paycheck.

khiladi

Reaction score
I was listening to this week's BIll Simmons podcast and Cousin Sal (Bill's friend) described mingling with the family at the Jets game. Sal is a big Cowboys fan so he takes this stuff as hard as we do. He said that from being in the box they had a lot of confidence in Moore and from the beginning of the game it had already been decided that Cassel would be benched. Basically they knew Cassel was gonna suck, but let him start the game anyway and hang himself. He said after the game it was very somber, like the Jones expected and wanted to win. That part is what puzzles me. If this family wants to win so bad, why are they so destructive to the football culture of the organization? It seems like they really don't get and that's just as bad as just not caring really.

That delusion may explain why he doesn't fire Jason Garrett...

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett does what he is told when he is told.

Garrett is incompetent... Jerry have him a huge leash, including allowing Jason to hire his brother as TE coach and promote him after 1 year to passing game coordinator.. And Judd is basically director of pro personnel..

It's only because of Jerry's emotional attachment, this clown is still here.. Jerry had Wade fire Brian Stewart, because he didn't want Wade to train him on the job, but as HC of the DC and controller of offense, Jerry gave JG so many excuses..

Last edited:

yimyammer

Reaction score
I've made that same argument before (in discussions with Cowboy haters about Jerry Jones' involvement with the team.) I just don't know if Jerry KNOWS the formula for winning....he got the 3 Super Bowls he has because of Jimmy's expertise. Why he won't hire someone who knows the football end of the business better than he does is a mystery. A very frustrating mystery.

there's no mystery, jerri wants to be involved (Jimmy has said this ad nauseam, Parcels has alluded to this as well) and when a good football man like jimmy or parcels is in charge, jerri gets pushed to the background

its like Barry said 20 years ago, they want to do it their way

khiladi

Reaction score
The problem with Jerry is he has stuck with Garrett, while openly admitting last year he had to train him. The problem with this admission was that it followed last year's 12-4 record and after Jerry awarded him a five year extension worth millions.

He thought it was a sign of good things to follow, but the monkey wrench was thrown in the 'plan' and it just revealed how incompetent JG really is as a HC.

He has done everything for Garrett. He didn't let Dan Reeves come here, he leveraged a draft to bring in Roy Williams, he fired Rob Ryan and then changed a whole defense to a 4-3. He hired John and Judd Garrett and brought in Dooley and Houck, all guys Garrett worked with. He went Kiffen and then got Marinelli.

And he even allowed Jason Garrett to interfere with Callahan as OC, despite Callahan building the OL. And he brought in Linehan to prevent a change in offense that Callahan would have made.

And Linehan also like all the other assistant coaches, was with Garrett in Miami.

So this idea that Jerry didn't give JG any authority, it's absolute hogwash. JG was the golden child of Jerry to prove to the world that he could get it done 'his way'.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
"How'd y'all like them Super Bowls?" (winks, takes long swig of JW Blue)

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Due to the losing season you have folks who've left their better judgement at the front door and are now posting the most negative slant they can on any Cowboy topic brought up.
Jerry has been a bad owner, but he's kept a great football mind by his side in Will McClay. And this team has a very good young core. Its not even the negativity that is annoying now. This team has holes and areas that deserve some negative criticism, but its this whole bad football culture garbage. What does that even mean?

khiladi

Reaction score
Look at Jerry on this article.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...lahan-disappointed-joseph-randle-running-game

He says that they wouldn't have had the same success as last year running the ball, if the defenses played the Cowboys the way they are now.

The funny thing is:

He's implicitly admitting that they aren't adjusting to what teams are doing at the same time trying to defend allowing Callahan to leave for wanting to run the offense essentially... And he tries to downplay the loss by saying Callahan wouldn't have had the same success running if defenses played that way..

So the question is, why hasn't your red-Headed genius adjusted offensively and why do we still run everytime on first down?

I swear this guy is a walking contradiction everytime he tries to protect Garrett...

birdwells1

Reaction score
Other than Owens drama, this team has no bad culture. Players love the team. The culture problem seems to be with fans. We saw it with Parcells fans turned on him quick. Wade came in and had that great 13-3 season and were all over his jock. Fans turned on him faster. And mostly by them same fans who were all on his jock. Enter JG and the majority were on the bandwagon after last yr, Romo goes down and all of the sudden theres a culture problem. The problem isnt this team it's the people who are them types of fans who turn it off and on depending on how the teams doing. Some will take offense to this but its the 100% truth. This team has the largest fan base in all of sports. But its probably also one of the worst fan bases in all of sports.

Now a question to you, what is a bad football culture? You people read the writers who you people hate but because it fits your frame of thought at that exact moment it stays with you.

I personally think that the football culture in Dallas is bad because of lack of accountability. I would say that the relationship that Garrett has with the players is too buddy buddy and when that happens it makes it uneasy, as a coach, to call out players. He's not the best coach in Cowboys history (that's Landry) but my favorite coach was Jimmy Johnson. He's my favorite because not only did he find good players but he got everything out of them not because they loved him so much but because they feared letting him down and what that could do to their careers. No one in Dallas is uncomfortable, Romo, Dez, Witten, the oline, the dline, the secondary, whose playing for their jobs? Whose playing to not get called out in the media for a bad performance? If a bad performance happens in Dallas then Garrett will hem/haw around said players performance and cover for him. In today's NFL the salary caps even everything out which makes it a 3 point league, coaching can make a difference, a culture of accountability can make a difference and in Dallas I just don't see those things as being positives.