Twitter: "I feel great about our football team" - Stephen Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It’s low hanging fruit. IMO most people would rather he act like 99% of the front office people in the NFL- keep his mouth shut and let the head coach be the spokesman for the team.

The Jones boys are THE most talkative front office in the league. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk…..if they would just do one of two things:
  1. Just be less available to the media. Work harder- talk less.
  2. Or just say something new for a change. We’ve been hearing same cliches and talking points for decades with nothing to show for it.
What GM/Owner has a weekly radio show?

One. Jerry.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. Although you almost never hear any kind of criticism on that network for the owners and front office people because it’s the NFL network. They are much more careful about their critiques of big shots in the league. They don’t mind criticizing players and coaches, but I’ve never one time seen any kind of critique of an owner. Because they own the product.
They have made fun of Dallas (and others) plenty of times.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There really isnt much to brag about...

I think they did a good job this offseason. It was the type of offseason and restructuring that they HAD to do in order to have a shot to become a contender in the next few years. Its the type of off season they haven't done before. I also like the youth movement. A lot of unknowns so no sense in "going for it" now.

They replaced Williams with Smith and Gregory with Williams. Cooper has already been replaced by Lamb and they added Tolbert and Furgeson. Collins was replaced by Steele. All younger guys replacing aging, overpaid veterans. Lots of talent in there as well.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think they did a good job this offseason. It was the type of offseason and restructuring that they HAD to do in order to have a shot to become a contender in the next few years. Its the type of off season they haven't done before. I also like the youth movement. A lot of unknowns so no sense in "going for it" now.

They replaced Williams with Smith and Gregory with Williams. Cooper has already been replaced by Lamb and they added Tolbert and Furgeson. Collins was replaced by Steele. All younger guys replacing aging, overpaid veterans. Lots of talent in there as well.
Yup. In addition, they saved some salary cap room for next offseason.

Unless we suddenly get stupid next offseason, it appears that we finally have a viable plan in place. First time since Tuna.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yup. In addition, they saved some salary cap room for next offseason.

Unless we suddenly get stupid next offseason, it appears that we finally have a viable plan in place. First time since Tuna.

I agree. We are actually seeing a plan! At least that's what it looks like to me. This is the difference that MM brings over straight up puppets.

Mannix

Reaction score
Today, I was watching NFL Network and they were talking about several different teams just starting camp. They would kind of rotate through the teams and give a few minutes to each one. They had insiders for several of the teams as well, and Ian Rappoport and Mike Garafolo. Jane Slater was, of course, their Dallas insider.

They went to Jane at one point today and before she started, Rappoport asked her a question. He said a lot of the fans and media are jumping up and down about Dallas not doing a lot in free agency, but Ian said when I look at that Dallas roster it looks very, very strong. He asked if he was missing something.

Jane just told him that Dallas fans and some of the Dallas media saw other teams making big free agent acquisitions and wanted in on the action…. But she basically said they were doing it right.

Interesting to hear the people at NFL Network saying that.
Soooo.....will they be saying that in February when the Rams have another Lombardi?

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. We are actually seeing a plan! At least that's what it looks like to me. This is the difference that MM brings over straight up puppets.
I mean, it really does.

Not only that, but we are also drafting tough players, and ones who don't have leverage issues!!!!!!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

So what you're saying is that after 26 years of non stop success and countless championships its finally time to start over and put a patient long term strategy in place to build the next championship ready generation within the next 5 years? With that young 22 year old QB super talent we have in our hands to slowly build around it's the way to go, indeed.

What a load of bull, lol. After such a draught the only strategy making sense is what the Rams have done. Going all in to end the draught now. Not in 5 years. Less "we like our guys", more "whatever it takes".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I mean, it really does.

Not only that, but we are also drafting tough players, and ones who don't have leverage issues!!!!!!

Now we they could screw it all up next offseason but at least for now I like what they appear to be doing. They are actually building a team properly.

kskboys

Reaction score
So what you're saying is that after 26 years of non stop success and countless championships its finally time to start over and put a patient long term strategy in place to build the next championship ready generation within the next 5 years?

What a load of bull, lol. After such a draught the only strategy making sense is what the Rams have done. Going all in to end the draught now. Not in 5 years.
The Rams had the basis of a contender already in place. We're just starting. This is the first intelligent offseason we've had since Tuna. Hey, doesn't mean they're going to carry it out, that remains to be seen, but at this point, we appear to be heading in the right direction.

Gotta grab onto any sign of competence w/ this org!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Now we they could screw it all up next offseason but at least for now I like what they appear to be doing. They are actually building a team properly.
Osa, Ridgeway, Tyler, Golston, all big tough guys and the antithesis of what we usually do in the draft.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So what you're saying is that after 26 years of non stop success and countless championships its finally time to start over and put a patient long term strategy in place to build the next championship ready generation within the next 5 years?

What a load of bull, lol. After such a draught the only strategy making sense is what the Rams have done. Going all in to end the draught now. Not in 5 years. Less "we like our guys", more "whatever it takes".

NO those are your words.

The Rams did some of what we are doing, they just did it several years ago after they made the SB. They knew the team was structured poorly and went about reshaping it.

The Rams are going all in now because they have a legitimate contender and they sold out for Stafford. And gave up a few years high draft picks to do it.

That being said I will take Mcvay over Jerry and MM any day of the week.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I certainly hope Mr. Stephen has just cause to "feel great" about this team, just like he says! ;)

We'll be relying upon the big success on quite a few unknowns, however! That's a bit shaky. :rolleyes:

All in all, what I'm hoping for, at the very least, is that we contend for a championship. Amen. :)

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Osa, Ridgeway, Tyler, Golston, all big tough guys and the antithesis of what we usually do in the draft.

Golston I still dont get. Tyler and Ridgeway I like. Osa looks promising but him and Gallimore essentially play the same position. Neither looks like a force in the middle.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I mean, it really does.

I really want to join in on this love fest but I'm having a tough time getting the Kool Aid stirred this year.

I really am. Yesterday set me back a little.

I'll get there. I always do. Sigh. Some more camp film maybe.

The good news is this....the last two times I was this down on them they finished with 12-4 and 13-3 seasons, so there's that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I certainly hope Mr. Stephen has just cause to "feel great" about this team, just like he says! ;)

We'll be relying upon the big success on quite a few unknowns, however. That's a bit scary. o_O

What did you expect him to say?

kskboys

Reaction score
NO those are your words.

The Rams did some of what we are doing, they just did it several years ago after they made the SB. They knew the team was structured poorly and went about reshaping it.

The Rams are going all in now because they have a legitimate contender and they sold out for Stafford. And gave up a few years high draft picks to do it.

That being said I will take Mcvay over Jerry and MM any day of the week.
Yup, that's pretty much what I was saying, but you said it better.

What have the Rams done:

1. Dumped the overpriced RB.
2. Sucked so they could draft Donald.
3. Drafted some big uglies for the DLine in Greg Gaines.
4. Drafted a route running fiend in the 3rd round.
5. Drafted S's.
6. Made sure the D was hard to run against by signing Ashawn and drafting Bobby Brown.
7. Signed a college calculus teacher to play Dline. OK, that wasn't part of it, but they really did this!!!
8. Sign quality players to fill the gaps.

We are on the way. What we really need is an ultra disruptive inside presence. That is almost always the hallmark of super bowl contenders. If it's not Golston or Osa, or even Galley, then we must do what it takes to get one. Bengals paid Ogunjobi in the offseason, and he was instrumental in making the super bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
I really want to join in on this love fest but I'm having a tough time getting the Kool Aid stirred this year.

I really am. Yesterday set me back a little.

I'll get there. I always do. Sigh. Some more camp film maybe.

The good news is this....the last two times I was this down on them they finished with 12-4 and 13-3 seasons, so there's that.
Hey, there's no guarantee that they'll carry out the plan, and maybe we just got lucky that Ganjory and Von wanted too much. Neither was the answer, and I was glad that both wanted too much. However, dumping Coop and Lael and Connor was simply must dos.

Status
Not open for further replies.