I feel that Gallup fell of when he got paid

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I always thought he was overrated, he made a play here and there and is great at getting his toes down but he never got a ton of separated.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I think it was the injury more than the contract. But it’s highly likely that he’s gone after this season. He hasn’t produced enough to be worth half the salary he’s being paid (13 million per).

Redline360

Reaction score
Beyond stupid to give any player a contract after a major injury or after one year of impressive play. Still boggles my mind it happens in sport just not in the nfl.

Not all players heal at the same speed, not all players recover the same range of motion or have different levels of lingering affects. However with today's medicine and procedures the mental side of things plays the biggest role by far. Some people never mentally recover

Just look at Dak for example. Brutal injury and obviously will never be 100% again however he's very skiddish when it comes to running. He can and does at times but not like before. When he does move around like last week he looks like a top 10 quarterback cause it opens up the offense. When he sits back and doesn't use his legs he looks medicore

Last edited:

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
I think it was the injury more than the contract. But it’s highly likely that he’s gone after this season. He hasn’t produced enough to be worth half the salary he’s being paid (13 million per).
Jerry made a mistake extending him. I'm sure Gallup is happy but he's not earning his check.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..my initial reaction was,"huh". When I heard Gallup was paid up.

Cooper was gone. So my guess, they placed all chips into making him #1. Which backfired.
Lamb was #1. They were counting on Gallup to be #2

links18

Reaction score
I thought we all declared Gallup was back a few weeks ago?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Ever tore your knee up? I have and it takes 2+ years to get back feeling comfortable again, especially on the mental side of it. You always feel like you are about to injure it again.

With that said, he does need to be better, at least progress each week.
I get it he tore his acl. But this is over a year and a half. He doesn't seem to have the drive he once had. Did that big contract ruin him?
I think he lost his mental edge that he worked so hard to gain. He is dropping balls that are hitting him in the hands.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
He wasn’t great when we paid him, I felt like Jerry really wanted to spite Amari so badly that is part of the reason he gave Gallup a deal and traded Amari to the Browns, the Browns. We would’ve been better off keeping Amari or even Wilson than signing Gallup to his deal as Wilson would’ve been much cheaper and had chemistry with Dak. We are now also stuck with Gallup and couldn’t make any moves to trade for a game changer like DHop or Adams because we are saddled with Gallups deal, which won’t move.
Most people stop to think about how much one bad decision leads to half a dozen others. If not for the Amari and Gallup nonsense, would Dallas have been in on AJ Brown? How about D-Hop? He'd be the second best receiver on this team right now. And you still might have Cedrick Wilson, too.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
..my initial reaction was,"huh". When I heard Gallup was paid up.

Cooper was gone. So my guess, they placed all chips into making him #1. Which backfired.

But even when they drafted him, no one thought he was a number one and if they did, big mistake like thinking Pollard was a number one.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
He's a bit useless on this team because he doesn't offer anything that we don't already get from Ceedee & Cooks. He doesn't really play the slot and not at all a possession receiver. We just need to him to catch what comes to him but he's a 40% catcher at this point. Very disappointing. No dog in him.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it he tore his acl. But this is over a year and a half. He doesn't seem to have the drive he once had. Did that big contract ruin him?
So here are some possibilities.

• He's still recovering from a bad injury and needs some more time. Injuries and recovery times are different.
  • Between the injury and age, he's not ever going to be the same guy physically. His speed was marginal to begin with, so losing a step makes him untenable.
  • The new offense hasn't suited him this year, with all the quick short stuff. As they seem to be moving back to more downfield stuff, he may show up more.
  • He stopped trying after the big contract.
Why would you jump to the character conclusion about a guy you don't know at all, instead of the much more likely physical reasons?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Whatever the reasons, his contract extension was an awful mistake.
Yup, thought it was the dumbest move, I know ACLs are common place in the NFL but you never know how the player will comeback from it. More of the aftershocks of the Amari trade away.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
At this point, I'm ready to give Gallup a break from being active on Sundays to give Tolbert a bigger chance to contribute. Heal and get your head right, MG.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He’s cooked…give Tolbert more reps, Hope Gallup comes around some and sign Ty Hilton for last 5-6 games

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While ACL recoveries have come a long way in 30 years I think there's the few that need more time to truly trust their body they are at 100%.
Gallup expanded on that this offseason after his subpar 2022 season but I'm not convinced he's playing up to the level he could be playing at.

Unfortunate, but I don't think he checked out due to the checks he's cashed but still mental over the injury.
These guys are professionals...tended to and coached by the very best professionals.

But you're sayin he's "holding back".

If this were a band...he'd get fired. But the premier team in a premier sports league...it's okay.

Either get him mentally stable now... or cut him loose for losing it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup, thought it was the dumbest move, I know ACLs are common place in the NFL but you never know how the player will comeback from it. More of the aftershocks of the Amari trade away.
They outsmarted themselves. Much like that great ‘bargain’ they got on Terrance Williams.

John813

Reaction score
These guys are professionals...tended to and coached by the very best professionals.

But you're sayin he's "holding back".

If this were a band...he'd get fired. But the premier team in a premier sports league...it's okay.

Either get him mentally stable now... or cut him loose for losing it.
I wouldn’t say holding back intentionally cause he got lazy.
But he’s not the first athlete to need more time to not only recover physically but mentally from an injury like that.

Not saying it’s ok, but just a reality that some players go through.

It didn’t help that they signed him right after the injury and restructured his deal, in terms of keeping him. Guarantees keep players on the roster for longer.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ee-injury-mentally-its-up-to-100-percent/amp/
"Mentally, it's up to 100 percent," Gallup said, via The Athletic. "Last year, obviously the mentals weren't there. I knew my leg was good. I knew I was straight, but I still had to get over that little hump. … I've already [rebuilt his confidence in it]. That's why we had OTAs and all that good stuff. I definitely rebuilt it."

"I was thinking too much [last season]," Gallup said in May, via The Athletic. "My knee was feeling sore and it was just different. I never really had it like that last year."