I find myself becoming less tolerant of others. How about you?

jrumann59

Reaction score
I can size people up pretty well, I knew they were not a threat :cool: Now, if I was back in Texas, I would have probably acted differently.
in my state only the criminals "can" carry.

As for sizing people up, I don't do it most size me up and walk away. Not too big but solid 6' 235-240 former MP

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Over the last couple years I've found myself being less tolerant of others– especially when I'm out & about. I have found myself fighting the urge to say things to others that wouldn't be typical for me.

I dunno... Is it old-age? Is it because over the last 15 years I've worked by myself?

I don't like the look. I don't want the urge.

Anyone else experience anything like that?
Does " contempt of court"
And locked up for 3 days fall into the specified guidelines of which you speak Michael?,,if so,then yes I find it more and more difficult also.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Just do what i do, when i feel down and out and want to blow off steam. Walk into a bar look for that one dude that is eyeing people up as they walk in and see if he keeps eyeing you, if he does have the bar tender send over a glass of wine. When he comes over and asks whats up say this, "The way you were eying me i thought you wanted to take me home, so i bought you a drink."

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I meet one person a day that I would like nothing better than to curb stomp them and add a little depth to the gene pool. Today i subcontractors tech get permanently black listed from a military base because he felt that since he was a "sovereign citizen" he did not need to show base security his drivers license.
Deadly force was authorized when I had to man entry points,,, and you could stick your thumb in their apple or sandwich while searching their lunchboxs if they were pricks

Dodger12

Reaction score
That's EXACTLY the urge I'm fighting.

For example ate cheap tonight... Went to Ponderosa and did the buffet thing.

I'm up there getting food and there's this guy who's 50ish and is about 5' tall and 5' around loading up one plate with every fried food he could get on the plate– Then he grabs another and loads up that plate.

You can probably guess what I was thinking about how the guy was a walking (OK plodding) heart-attack.

But I resisted the urge– this time.

And then I felt badly for thinking it.

That wouldn't bother me. But if the guy held up the line talking to someone completely oblivious to the 10 or 20 people behind him.....that would bother me. Someone going through the express 8 item or less check out line with a cart full of groceries, that bothers me. People driving in the left (passing lane) like they're taking in the scenery bothers me. And that's a big one. I work in Jersey and idiots that block the far left lane of a 3 lane highway just infuriates me. People that walk down the street or, worse yet, cross the street with their young child 5 steps behind them bothers me.

But I do agree that I'm more vocal now that I'm older. I do try to bite my tongue a lot so as not to escalate something but that doesn't always work.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Deadly force was authorized when I had to man entry points,,, and you could stick your thumb in their apple or sandwich while searching their lunchboxs if they were pricks
Most army base gates are guarded by a private "security" force or base stationed civilian PD, I have not seen a MP at regular army base in some time.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Most army base gates are guarded by a private "security" force or base stationed civilian PD, I have not seen a MP at regular army base in some time.

It was a naval base/nuclear tip tomahawks

jrumann59

Reaction score
Aberdeen proving Grounds just gets what I describe. Same for the Edgewood Arsenal where there may or may not be NBC weapons.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I let most go unless it directly effects my personal family. I'm papa bear. However, my only pet peeve is someone to pass me and make me suddenly slow down so they can turn off. Then, all bets are off!!!
th

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Your not the only that feels this way as you get older...
From people that mosey along on the road in front of me to unruly kids in restaurants and everything in between more things seem to get on my nerves the older I get.

Now get off my lawn!:muttley:

Bigdog

Reaction score
Seems as if your life experiences learned and maturity are fighting with your sense common curtesy in the ability to deal in a social environment. Could be several things. it's either.

1. Grumpy old man syndrome.

2. Social digression
or

3. You just simply don't have time for stupid people and you need to tell them they are stupid just because you don't want them to stay that way.

which is a redeeming quality in and of its self. so, chin up!
Just remember what Chris Berman said, " There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people who ask questions."

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Do you have some people you can have regular conversations with about anything? And I mean anything. Especially in this day and age, it can feel like you're almost living in the Twilight Zone and it's hard to live outside of your own head. I was lucky enough to work with some people who had slightly differing thoughts from my own but were open minded enough to be able to hear me out on anything and I was able to expand my thinking a lot by hearing them out. I think being able to relate to people really helps you in becoming more tolerant of others. Even if it's only one person, it's better to have one person you can really talk to than having no one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's EXACTLY the urge I'm fighting.

For example ate cheap tonight... Went to Ponderosa and did the buffet thing.

I'm up there getting food and there's this guy who's 50ish and is about 5' tall and 5' around loading up one plate with every fried food he could get on the plate– Then he grabs another and loads up that plate.

You can probably guess what I was thinking about how the guy was a walking (OK plodding) heart-attack.

But I resisted the urge– this time.

And then I felt badly for thinking it.

You can't control what other people do. If he's wants to flush away the life that he's been given, it's not in your control to stop him, and you're only unnecessarily stressing yourself out about things you can't control. You don't need that in your life. None of us do. Worry about things that are happening and affecting you directly. Much of the rest is just stress with no resolution.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Normal to feel that way. It is a sign for maturity. It is the experience before age.

The amount of BS in this world increasing at an alarm rate so naturally a person with critical thinking will feel very frustrated.
Just have hope ,expect the worse, and keep your BS detector activated at all time.

if you have the time try to read a book by Paul Roberts titled The Impulse Society.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Over the last couple years I've found myself being less tolerant of others– especially when I'm out & about. I have found myself fighting the urge to say things to others that wouldn't be typical for me.

I dunno... Is it old-age? Is it because over the last 15 years I've worked by myself?

I don't like the look. I don't want the urge.

Anyone else experience anything like that?

I've always felt that way, but I think I've become more tolerant as I've aged. (though outright stupidity is something that I have to try very hard to bite my tongue for)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think it is more about life experience, which happens as you age of course, rather than age itself. I am a laid back person most of the time. I don't know if it is that I expect less of people now than I did when I was younger or if I have simply given up and now just assume everyone is stupid and/or self-centered until proven otherwise. I know that sounds funny, mean and/or cynical to say, but I am actually being serious about that.

For me personally, it's the lack of respect and consideration people show for one another these days that bothers me the most. I don't care if people are nice to me as my expectations are lower, but it bothers me when I see people being mean to others, especially when there's no reason for it.

People who don't use their turn signals or selfishly cut people off should be shot on sight! :)