I get you guys are down but this division race isn't over yet

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know most don't want to hear that after a tough loss like that but this race isn't over.

For those that think it's over after today....did you have the Cowboys sweeping the Eagles? I personally had us 1-1 just like last year. Now what this loss does do is make that a must-win if you continue to win of course. This was the argument I Was making all week when people were calling this a must-win. It wasn't. Sure it would've been nice to sweep the Eagles but that wasn't realistic. The goal was to take 1-1.

They have Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, Cowboys and Seahawks...which includes trips to Seattle and Arrowhead which are typically tough places to play. And at this point maybe you should at Jerry's world to that list because shockingly they are on a 11 game home win streak which I had no idea about until last week.

We have Giants, Panthers, Commanders and Seahawks before we meet back up.

So fans.....calm down. The trust test for these two teams hasn't even begun yet.
Finally, a real cowboy, a man. Not just a want to be. It’s a different world, my cowboy brother. Where have all the men gone

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Down? I was down probably 25 years ago. Now? “same ol same”…..affects me NONE.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Eagles got a pyyrhic victory yesterday, they are pretty banged up (Hurts, Goedert, LB Dean, both CBs nicked). And they'll need the bye week before KC - a probable loss.
The last 4 weeks of the season will tell the tale for the NFC East again.
Ugh, they have the Giants for two games at the end of the season. We better not lose anymore games.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Nope. Lawrence was engaged with Kelce face to face. Not sure how kelce could have shoved him from in front of him to behind him to get hurts’ knee.

Just noticed on that play, Fowler holding on to Johnson's pads for dear life, lol. I guess if you can't get past him, just pull him down with you.

starfan1

Reaction score
:laugh: LOl good try MC but we have a group here that are just negative by nature. They have limited ability to enjoy the game as only 1 result will suffice and they have predetermined those results. thats ok i guess but why make it miserable for those that can enjoy it

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know most don't want to hear that after a tough loss like that but this race isn't over.

For those that think it's over after today....did you have the Cowboys sweeping the Eagles? I personally had us 1-1 just like last year. Now what this loss does do is make that a must-win if you continue to win of course. This was the argument I Was making all week when people were calling this a must-win. It wasn't. Sure it would've been nice to sweep the Eagles but that wasn't realistic. The goal was to take 1-1.

They have Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, Cowboys and Seahawks...which includes trips to Seattle and Arrowhead which are typically tough places to play. And at this point maybe you should at Jerry's world to that list because shockingly they are on a 11 game home win streak which I had no idea about until last week.

We have Giants, Panthers, Commanders and Seahawks before we meet back up.

So fans.....calm down. The trust test for these two teams hasn't even begun yet.
Totally agree, even said last week wasn't a must win game. Plenty of football left. I don't think anyone expected the Cowboys to sweep the series.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Of course the season isn't over, too many games left, and we've seen many teams completely collapse and not even make the playoffs.

But realistically, the Eagles are in the driver's seat, 8 wins already, at best after this week Dallas will be two games down and have lost the tiebreaker at this point. Hurts has a bum knee, but they have a bye week, 2 weeks is plenty long enough with today's medicine to get healed up, at least mostly. They are a very good team, can't see them going like 1-4 in their next games, though that's always possible.

And I'd rather not "back into' the playoffs, with the Eagles losing games simply because they have a tough next few games and we have a supposedly easier schedule.

Best to just watch and see what happens, not getting my hopes up, quit doing that years ago....

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Biggest stumbling block for Dallas is tie breakers. All 3 of their losses are to NFC teams; Philadelphia’s only loss is to an AFC team.
So with that in mind, here are the schedules:

Eagles
@Chiefs
Bills@
49ers@
@Cowboys
@Seahawks

Giants@
Cardinals@
@Giants

Dallas
Giants@
@Panthers
Commanders@
Seahawks@
Eagles@
@Bills
@Dolphins
Lions@
@Commanders

The tie breakers go head-to-head (which will be 1-1 at best for Dallas), division games (probably 5-1 for both if Dallas handles WAS), then common opponents. Philly loss doesn’t count here, so it’s NYJ, ARI, SF That matter. Here’s a kicker though: who’s the most likely team Philly will lose to the rest of the season? Philly’s hypothetical Dallas loss is not a common opponent for you though, so that will only impact overall record and not this tiebreaker. Then it’s KC. Not only is KC also not a common opponent for you, but they’re also an AFC team, meaning the fourth tiebreaker of conference record also shifts in Philadelphia’s favor. We’d be two up on tie breaker 4, but that probably won’t matter because we’d also be two up on tie breaker 3: common opponents.

Philadelphia has already swept Washington. Let’s say we give game 2 to Dallas, you win it no matter what. Have to do that or this whole thread is moot. Philadelphia then has to play NYG twice with the worst Oline in football and no Daniel Jones. The same way that Washington is a bad matchup for Philly, Philly is the worst matchup for NYG; we 3-0’d them last year 106-45. Will we even get Tyrod Taylor? Philadelphia ends the division record 5-1 at worst. Dallas will get to 5-1 at best if they do manage to beat Philly AND sweep the Washington Riveras. We both know that’s easier said than done.

We’re giving Dallas the outright win against Philly in this exercise. But on the flipside, the reason Arizona beat Dallas was almost entirely Josh Dobbs. Dak’s picks don’t even matter if he isn’t continually driving ARI’s offense down the field on those scrambles. Without Dobbs, ARI’s new QB is terrible. His first game he was historically bad. The odds of Philly losing that game in Philadelphia are close to zero, even if we’re missing Hurts and Mariota has to start. It is possible but somewhat unrealistic to think Philly ends the season anything less than 3-0 (we could rest starters at that point and still end up going 3-0). Not even subpar teams, these are 3 straight games against top 3 draft pick teams.

What this means is it will be that 5 game stretch Philly has coming up that will decide the thing. If Dallas goes 9-0 to end the season, Philly only needs to go 3-2 over that 5 games stretch and Philly is defaulted the division because they still have fewer NFC losses (and better common opponent record as 1 of the losses is overwhelming likely either Dallas or KC). But how likely is it that Dallas suddenly has the best 9 game stretch the NFL has seen in 4 years? There’s probably going to be another letdown somewhere in there; and this isn’t even a Dallas dig, happens to every team.

Slightly more realistic 8-1 over the last 9 means Philadelphia only needs to go 2-3 over that 5 game stretch and they still win the division. That would still be the best 9 game stretch of Dak’s career since his rookie season.

7-2 is also a phenomenal record, probably the most realistic. If you played Washington twice, Seattle, Buffalo, Miami, Detroit… and only lost 2 of those games? The entire NFL would be singing your praises. And if that happened, Philadelphia would only need to go 1-4 in that 5 game stretch and still win the division.

So the reality, as it often is, is in between the two hyperboles in this thread. No, the division race is not over. But Dallas does not have a clear path to winning it either; it will require a huge uphill battle and a lot of fortune from Philadelphia as well. Stranger thing have happened. But again,

Philly’s Dallas loss won’t help Dallas in tiebreaker 3, Philly’s KC loss won’t help Dallas in tiebreaker 3. You pretty much have to finish with a better record.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Biggest stumbling block for Dallas is tie breakers. All 3 of their losses are to NFC teams; Philadelphia’s only loss is to an AFC team.
So with that in mind, here are the schedules:

Eagles
@Chiefs
Bills@
49ers@
@Cowboys
@Seahawks

Giants@
Cardinals@
@Giants

Dallas
Giants@
@Panthers
Commanders@
Seahawks@
Eagles@
@Bills
@Dolphins
Lions@
@Commanders

The tie breakers go head-to-head (which will be 1-1 at best for Dallas), division games (probably 5-1 for both if Dallas handles WAS), then common opponents. Philly loss doesn’t count here, so it’s NYJ, ARI, SF That matter. Here’s a kicker though: who’s the most likely team Philly will lose to the rest of the season? Philly’s hypothetical Dallas loss is not a common opponent for you though, so that will only impact overall record and not this tiebreaker. Then it’s KC. Not only is KC also not a common opponent for you, but they’re also an AFC team, meaning the fourth tiebreaker of conference record also shifts in Philadelphia’s favor. We’d be two up on tie breaker 4, but that probably won’t matter because we’d also be two up on tie breaker 3: common opponents.

Philadelphia has already swept Washington. Let’s say we give game 2 to Dallas, you win it no matter what. Have to do that or this whole thread is moot. Philadelphia then has to play NYG twice with the worst Oline in football and no Daniel Jones. The same way that Washington is a bad matchup for Philly, Philly is the worst matchup for NYG; we 3-0’d them last year 106-45. Will we even get Tyrod Taylor? Philadelphia ends the division record 5-1 at worst. Dallas will get to 5-1 at best if they do manage to beat Philly AND sweep the Washington Riveras. We both know that’s easier said than done.

We’re giving Dallas the outright win against Philly in this exercise. But on the flipside, the reason Arizona beat Dallas was almost entirely Josh Dobbs. Dak’s picks don’t even matter if he isn’t continually driving ARI’s offense down the field on those scrambles. Without Dobbs, ARI’s new QB is terrible. His first game he was historically bad. The odds of Philly losing that game in Philadelphia are close to zero, even if we’re missing Hurts and Mariota has to start. It is possible but somewhat unrealistic to think Philly ends the season anything less than 3-0 (we could rest starters at that point and still end up going 3-0). Not even subpar teams, these are 3 straight games against top 3 draft pick teams.

What this means is it will be that 5 game stretch Philly has coming up that will decide the thing. If Dallas goes 9-0 to end the season, Philly only needs to go 3-2 over that 5 games stretch and Philly is defaulted the division because they still have fewer NFC losses (and better common opponent record as 1 of the losses is overwhelming likely either Dallas or KC). But how likely is it that Dallas suddenly has the best 9 game stretch the NFL has seen in 4 years? There’s probably going to be another letdown somewhere in there; and this isn’t even a Dallas dig, happens to every team.

Slightly more realistic 8-1 over the last 9 means Philadelphia only needs to go 2-3 over that 5 game stretch and they still win the division. That would still be the best 9 game stretch of Dak’s career since his rookie season.

7-2 is also a phenomenal record, probably the most realistic. If you played Washington twice, Seattle, Buffalo, Miami, Detroit… and only lost 2 of those games? The entire NFL would be singing your praises. And if that happened, Philadelphia would only need to go 1-4 in that 5 game stretch and still win the division.

So the reality, as it often is, is in between the two hyperboles in this thread. No, the division race is not over. But Dallas does not have a clear path to winning it either; it will require a huge uphill battle and a lot of fortune from Philadelphia as well. Stranger thing have happened. But again,

Philly’s Dallas loss won’t help Dallas in tiebreaker 3, Philly’s KC loss won’t help Dallas in tiebreaker 3. You pretty much have to finish with a better record.
Reasonable projection,,,

Number 2 in NFC standing would be equally significant as well...fully in view 5 or more, both.

I see all 9 as winnable with the current Cowboys' team. Very rarely does this team sustain that long of a projection...we shall see there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah at best most had us split. This team plays well at home. Think we can take it.
Going into the season, my expectation was splitting the Eagles and hopefully winning both matchups against the Giants/Commanders. Eagles have a rough schedule now, where the Cowboys have it after Thanksgiving, just stay in striking distance before they meet again.