I hate the 3-4 defense

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Juke99;2417961 said:
blah blah blah..."it's about execution...it's about the players...any defense can be effective if the players execute.." blah blah blah...yadah yadah yadah...

I hate the 3-4.

and I hate that it forces this team to choose from a smaller pool of coaches with 3-4 experience.

Who brought this 3-4 to us anyway?

Oh yeah, I ain't too fond of him either :D

OK..I feel better now.

I'm a member of the He Man, 3-4 haters club. I too hate the 34 Juke.

:)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Biggems;2418954 said:
theebs you are very closeminded.....please dont ever coach. BTW, I dont even play Madden....

That's funny.... especially after you already dropped this gem in the thread.

Tom Landry invented the 4-3....that alone is the reason the Cowboys should be running the 4-3

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Vintage;2418974 said:
That's funny.... especially after you already dropped this gem in the thread.

I know right......hey i have given the 3-4 a chance....under two different coaching regimes. and in 4-5 years, we still dont have the proper personnel to run the system. How we have not been able to get a huge beefeater in the middle is beyond me and absolutely inexcusable. There are tons of these guys around, yet we have failed to get any of them.

I am not opposed to the 3-4 so to speak. I have seen it be very successful.....Pittsburgh and Baltimore, especially. I am just tired of our staff not getting the proper players in here to run the scheme.

We wasted a 1st on Carpenter. I like Tank, but he is more of a 4-3 DT. Maybe we can fatten Spears up and let him be our NT.....

Get us the right personnel, especially for the middle of our 3-4 and I will be cool with the formation.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Dallas is transitioning from 3-4 defense version 1.0. It took about two years to fully transition to a roster of 3-4 players. In order to perfect the 3-4, you continue to upgrade the overall talent.

I think it would be a mistake to think that converting back to a 4-3 would not mean the 'boys would suddenly change from a middle of the pack defense.

Converting back to a 4-3 would require another two years to make an effective transition.

And just an aside, the biggest thing I think needs to be done is just continue getting players and preferably playmakers. Regardless of the scheme, the team definitely need dynamic playmakers.

From where this team was in 2003 to now is amazing. Just gotta keep at it. Success comes with consistency.

woodysgirl, i understand what your saying, but i think the cowboys are closer to the 4-3 than what you think

Marcus Spears LDE, Tank Johnson LDT, Johnson is a true 4-3 tackle, Chris Canty, Canty could be a monster at RDT, kinda like Leon Lett, Ware RDE even bigger time player than Charles Haley at RDE. Hatcher, and Ratliff would be the backups and at key certain situations, you could use the 3-4 on some occassions.

Spencer at LOLB, he is strong, (I know most of you say spencer cant play linebacker, but he is now, and doing great) and quick, and he has played outside linebacker in 3-4. Now I am not sure Bradie James is the answer, I think we need a domination MLB, Burnett weakside linebacker and Carpenter backing him up, carpenter is a true 4-3 linebacker, he has to have defensive linemen keep the guards tackles off of him

LCB Newman should have 3-4 years left, Henry could move to FS, he is getting too old at CB and safety could prolong his career, and Henry could eat up TEs, Hamlin could move to SS, of course you need to draft a young safety that can play both positions, I think this will be last year for roy williams safety, he will be 30 next year, and even slower in 40 yard dash, Adam Jones at RCB, now here is where I think you switch cbs, newman is more phsical, so put newman at rcb, and adam jones at lcb, then you have young scandrick and jenkins coming on next year. Then, the Cowboys need to draft one more young cb if adam jones doesnt play again.

I would if was me, possibly see if you have any offers and trade bradie james, we need a dominating middle linebacker, one like urlacher of bears or ray lewis at baltimore, that would put this team over the top, the defensive line is pretty set, and the secondary, but no true middle linebacker to me,

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2419192 said:
Dallas is transitioning from 3-4 defense version 1.0. It took about two years to fully transition to a roster of 3-4 players. In order to perfect the 3-4, you continue to upgrade the overall talent.

I think it would be a mistake to think that converting back to a 4-3 would not mean the 'boys would suddenly change from a middle of the pack defense.

Converting back to a 4-3 would require another two years to make an effective transition.

And just an aside, the biggest thing I think needs to be done is just continue getting players and preferably playmakers. Regardless of the scheme, the team definitely need dynamic playmakers.

From where this team was in 2003 to now is amazing. Just gotta keep at it. Success comes with consistency.

woodysgirl, i understand what your saying, but i think the cowboys are closer to the 4-3 than what you think

Marcus Spears LDE, Tank Johnson LDT, Johnson is a true 4-3 tackle, Chris Canty, Canty could be a monster at RDT, kinda like Leon Lett, Ware RDE even bigger time player than Charles Haley at RDE. Hatcher, and Ratliff would be the backups and at key certain situations, you could use the 3-4 on some occassions.

Spencer at LOLB, he is strong, (I know most of you say spencer cant play linebacker, but he is now, and doing great) and quick, and he has played outside linebacker in 3-4. Now I am not sure Bradie James is the answer, I think we need a domination MLB, Burnett weakside linebacker and Carpenter backing him up, carpenter is a true 4-3 linebacker, he has to have defensive linemen keep the guards tackles off of him

LCB Newman should have 3-4 years left, Henry could move to FS, he is getting too old at CB and safety could prolong his career, and Henry could eat up TEs, Hamlin could move to SS, of course you need to draft a young safety that can play both positions, I think this will be last year for roy williams safety, he will be 30 next year, and even slower in 40 yard dash, Adam Jones at RCB, now here is where I think you switch cbs, newman is more phsical, so put newman at rcb, and adam jones at lcb, then you have young scandrick and jenkins coming on next year. Then, the Cowboys need to draft one more young cb if adam jones doesnt play again.

I would if was me, possibly see if you have any offers and trade bradie james, we need a dominating middle linebacker, one like urlacher of bears or ray lewis at baltimore, that would put this team over the top, the defensive line is pretty set, and the secondary, but no true middle linebacker to me,

I would rather have Spencer at DE and Ware at OLB than the other way around. But, imagine having Ware at DE and Spencer at OLB on his side....who are u going to block....especially if Ratliff is lined up next to Ware.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
that could work, but generally you want your speed linebacker on the weakside where ware would be

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;2419192 said:
My opinion is not really about being 3-4 or 4-3.

The Dallas 3-4 is too new to be like the Steelers, Pats, et al. The reason why those teams are so successful is that those teams have developed and perfected their system. Dallas in 2003 had a roster that is dearth of quality players. Dallas in 2008 has a roster full of solid players and a few elite players. The goal should be to scout and continue to develop players for the system.

I'm not opposed to going back to the 4-3, but I hate that the Cowboys would be going through even more system changes and adjustments. Hard to think the 'boys would continue to be contenders in that environment. I think they would take a step back.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2418646 said:
I like the 3-4 because it's easier to get 2, quality OLBs, than 2, quality, 4-3 DEs

The Steelers seem like they draft a couple every year.

Seriously.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Biggems;2419209 said:
I would rather have Spencer at DE and Ware at OLB than the other way around. But, imagine having Ware at DE and Spencer at OLB on his side....who are u going to block....especially if Ratliff is lined up next to Ware.

Spencer and Ware would likely be strictly DE's in a 4-3 system. They're just too big to be as quick as you need to be at OLB in a 4-3. Plus (and this is the biggest thing to me), their talents rushing the QB would be practically wasted playing 4-3 OLB. Those guys rarely rush (only when a blitz is called), and primarily spend passing downs out in coverage (think Dexter Coakley).

Both Spencer and Ellis should be pinning their ears back and going after the QB when he drops back. They could do that at DE... but at OLB, the offensive coordinators would simply send out backs or TE's for them to cover and they would be out of the pass rush equation (unless there is a zone blitz and that only works when it is unexpected).

Just like Charles Haley played OLB in a 3-4 and DE in a 4-3... Spencer and Ware would be DE's in a 4 man front. No question about it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2419226 said:
My opinion is not really about being 3-4 or 4-3.

The Dallas 3-4 is too new to be like the Steelers, Pats, et al. The reason why those teams are so successful is that those teams have developed and perfected their system. Dallas in 2003 had a roster that is dearth of quality players. Dallas in 2008 has a roster full of solid players and a few elite players. The goal should be to scout and continue to develop players for the system.

I'm not opposed to going back to the 4-3, but I hate that the Cowboys would be going through even more system changes and adjustments. Hard to think the 'boys would continue to be contenders in that environment. I think they would take a step back.
Continuity is key.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
theogt;2419259 said:
Continuity is key.

Very; and we're just starting to have some with Phillips 3-4. Now isn't the time to switch, for sure... and frankly, I'd give it more time than just this season(and some more ILB's) to work.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2419264 said:
You said it much simpler than me.

:laugh2:

Don't feel like the lone ranger on that one. I always use 100 words where 20 would be adequate.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;2419279 said:
:laugh2:

Don't feel like the lone ranger on that one. I always use 100 words where 20 would be adequate.
I'm known for my long-windedness. My friends almost always cut me off and tell me to get to the point. Can't help it. Got alot to say.

jem88

Reaction score
Juke99;2417961 said:
blah blah blah..."it's about execution...it's about the players...any defense can be effective if the players execute.." blah blah blah...yadah yadah yadah...

I hate the 3-4.

and I hate that it forces this team to choose from a smaller pool of coaches with 3-4 experience.

Who brought this 3-4 to us anyway?

Oh yeah, I ain't too fond of him either :D

OK..I feel better now.
Good stuff. Cowboys and 4-3 just go together so naturally. It's like Manchester United and 4-4-2.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2419286 said:
I'm known for my long-windedness. My friends almost always cut me off and tell me to get to the point. Can't help it. Got alot to say.

Same here. My wife always is patient... but sometimes she's like, "c'mon, c'mon... just tell me".

The thing is though, when I get through telling her a story or giving her directions... she has no questions because I've explained things so thouroughly.

Still... I consider it a fault that I have. :eek::

Kilyin

Reaction score
I hate the 'give up 200 yards rushing per game' defense. JMO.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
So now the fans have resorted to blaming the failures of the Cowboys on the 3-4?

Nevermind the fact that quite a few teams have won Super Bowls using the 3-4 Formation.

But I guess it is easier to point the finger at the formation and not the real problems with this team, which is the fact that you have a ton of players with no passion, no heart and when they are hit in the mouth, they just lie down and play dead.

We need Ray Lewis or someone of his mold on this team and that needed to happen yesterday.