I have a Michael Irvin Question for the Board

Mike 1967

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Technically, Christianity is not the world's oldest practiced religion. You do know that right? Both Hinduism and Buddhism have been practiced for far longer. I do believe in the God of the Bible. I believe he created the Universe. But I also believe many of the world's major religions worship that same god in different forms.

Buddhism is derived from Hinduism.

Hinduism is not proven to be older than the Torah (Old Testament)

Hinduism does not hold to a personal infinite God....so absolute morals should be a non-issue.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
A true Mormon does not believe that Jesus is God, so therefore he is not perfect and thus his atoning sacrifice would be of no use. While I guess one could be, I can't imagine how.

They don't believe Jesus is God? I thought they believe that? I could be wrong. I was just curious. I thought the only real difference between Christianity and Mormonism is that Mormons believe Christ appeared in the United States in the early 19th century. I know some Christians don't believe in Joseph Smith's vision and saw him and the movement he started as a cult. I didn't know if the majority of Christians felt the same way?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
looks like inet issue and my answer didn't come through mike -

pedofile - you got me. if someone is a known child molseter, shoot them now. they deserve NO second chance at screwing up someone elses lives.

so yes, i do have my limits and it's more along the lines of when your own actions DO harm others INTENTIONALLY. accidents happen whether under the influence or on the phone. if you lost someone you love in a car wreck, would it matter if the other person were high vs. on the phone?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Hinduism does not hold to a personal infinite God....so absolute morals should be a non-issue.

Actually, it does. The many gods they worship is a manifestation of one god. So it often mischaracterized as being a polytheistic faith when in reality they believe in a singular higher being.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Honestly, I want to believe Michael. I consider him rehabilitated, and I believe you "forgive and forget", not bringing up prior transgressions when reviewing new situations. I don't think he was smoking while drinking, I think if that was the case, the policeman would have recognized the aroma, and that would have been mentioned somewhere.

I was just speaking from a moral standpoint, and if there was paraphernalia with pot "residue" on it, then there was more than likely a decent amount of pot on or in that paraphernalia. If your conscience prohibits you from defiling your body, or impairing your judgement (which can lead to worse things), then you can't be "OK" with Irvin having anything with any sort of a trace of pot on it.

In either case (beer can or paraphernalia), I would and do think Irvin acted in poor judgement. He knows his history, he knows what people will assume if he's caught with either object. He shouldn't have been so foolish.

I don't have a conscious issue with drinking a little wine. And the wine is obviously having an impact on my "judgement". My "judgement" is also altered when I take actifed for allergies.

But, as Pauls says, I will give up the wine in instances where is causes a weaker brother to stumble

In respect to the residue indicating a "larger dosage". The same could be said of 1 beer can....since they are usually sold in 6-pack or 12-pack containers.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy said:
Oh no here we go, another morality/politics/religion thread.

Hang on, this one might actually be informative, non-antagonistic and fun to read. Thus far, it has been for me. I haven't been offended by anything written.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Religion is a technical term. Faith or belief is something else. You could argue that Christianity in terms of faith or belief is the oldest or first so yes, you could say that. I don't believe in creationism so I don't believe in Adam and Eve. I believe God created the universe through evolutionary processes.

Do you believe that God is a personal being...or inanimate energy ?

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Hang on, this one might actually be informative, non-antagonistic and fun to read. Thus far, it has been for me. I haven't been offended by anything written.

Just give it some time my friend. The fire is still brimming, the right ingredients for a conflagration are yet to sniff the thread. It's only a matter of time...

Mike 1967

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
Since we are on the topic of religion. Do you guys believe that Mormons are Christians?

Depends on what is meant by the term "Christian".

By my definition, they would not be.

I am what you would label a fundamentalist. I hold to the authority of the scriptures as canonized. I will change my position if I am shown to be wrong through the scriptures.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
They don't believe Jesus is God? I thought they believe that? I could be wrong. I was just curious. I thought the only real difference between Christianity and Mormonism is that Mormons believe Christ appeared in the United States in the early 19th century. I know some Christians don't believe in Joseph Smith's vision and saw him and the movement he started as a cult. I didn't know if the majority of Christians felt the same way?

they definitely don't believe that Jesus is God.

But...we better get back to the original question or I am going to get in trouble :D

Hoov

Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy said:
Just give it some time my friend. The fire is still brimming, the right ingredients for a conflagration are yet to sniff the thread. It's only a matter of time...

I thought i smelt something, LOL....Hoov is here to add some fuel to the fire, lets get this baby burning, woohooo !!!!!

j/k guys, I'll lay low on this one. Though i was tempted to address the post about christianity being the oldest religion.

superpunk

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I don't have a conscious issue with drinking a little wine. And the wine is obviously having an impact on my "judgement". My "judgement" is also altered when I take actifed for allergies.

But, as Pauls says, I will give up the wine in instances where is causes a weaker brother to stumble

In respect to the residue indicating a "larger dosage". The same could be said of 1 beer can....since they are usually sold in 6-pack or 12-pack containers.

I'm confused as to what we are discussing. If the materials in Michael's car are proven to be his, I would be disappointed in him, no matter where he was caught. He claims to be rehabilitated, and this would prove otherwise. Disappointment. In my eyes, though, he is innocent, until proven otherwise.

1 beer can will (in almost all cases) not affect your judgement. I don't believe that two would even be enough to get you legally drunk. Even a little pot will. A little alcohol will also, not "defile the body" like any sort of smoking will. Just seeing 1 can, would not be a problem. The only way to buy beer in my state (PA) is by the case. Does this mean I'm going to go home and down 24 cold ones? Of course not. It's up to me to know my limit. There is no "limit" with pot, or other narcotics. Can't wuite be regarded the same, IMO.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Mormons are not Christian.
They don't believe Jesus is God.
They believe they can become a god, with enough good works.
Mormonism is a cult. Beware.

Christianity did not begin with Adam & Eve, it began after Christ ascended into heaven.
His followers were called Christians.

And whoever said God created the universe through evolution did not find that in the Bible.
You have been deceived.

Of course all of this is my perspective, and all are free to disagree.

superpunk

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

Christianity did not begin with Adam & Eve, it began after Christ ascended into heaven.

And whoever said God created the universe through evolution did not find that in the Bible.
You have been deceived.

Whoa!!! Easy tiger, LOL. Layin it all on the line, huh?

Hoov

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I'm confused as to what we are discussing. If the materials in Michael's car are proven to be his, I would be disappointed in him, no matter where he was caught. He claims to be rehabilitated, and this would prove otherwise. Disappointment. In my eyes, though, he is innocent, until proven otherwise.

1 beer can will (in almost all cases) not affect your judgement. I don't believe that two would even be enough to get you legally drunk. Even a little pot will. A little alcohol will also, not "defile the body" like any sort of smoking will. Just seeing 1 can, would not be a problem. The only way to buy beer in my state (PA) is by the case. Does this mean I'm going to go home and down 24 cold ones? Of course not. It's up to me to know my limit. There is no "limit" with pot, or other narcotics. Can't wuite be regarded the same, IMO.

2 drinks in 1 hour at my body wt puts me close to .08, the legal limit here in PA and i would go to jail for likely 6-8 months since i have a prior DUI.

aikemirv

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

You have been deceived.

Genesis 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Whereas Christianity did not officially begin as you said the plan was in place and the sacrificial system in the Old testament was a symbol of what Christ was going to do.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
superpunk said:

First, since you are a Christian...the question did not really apply to you. As a Christian, you obviously have a basis for absolute morality as dictated by an infinite personal God.

I would disagree with you on your stance regarding the effects of "pot" vs. "beer" AND also disagree with your assesment of "defiling" the body. I think you have taken it to a legalistic extreme....

But...I am not interested in debating a brother on the this type of issue.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Whoa!!! Easy tiger, LOL. Layin it all on the line, huh?
LOL, yea, I was just responding to several things I had seen throughout the thread. :lmao2: