I have a Michael Irvin Question for the Board

Mike 1967

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Genesis 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Whereas Christianity did not officially begin as you said the plan was in place and the sacrificial system in the Old testament was a symbol of what Christ was going to do.

Correct.

The Old Testament Jews had the same promise as the New Testament Christians. The "picture" was simply "much clearer" following the birth, life, death and assension of Christ.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Genesis 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Whereas Christianity did not officially begin as you said the plan was in place and the sacrificial system in the Old testament was a symbol of what Christ was going to do.
You speak of the battle between Satan and Mankind, and yes, Christ was there from the beginning.

I could be wrong but I think the term Christianity started after the resurrection.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
You speak of the battle between Satan and Mankind, and yes, Christ was there from the beginning.

I could be wrong but I think the term Christianity started after the resurrection.

I believe that you are correct when you state that the "term" Christian started after the resurrection.

superpunk

Reaction score
Hoov said:
2 drinks in 1 hour at my body wt puts me close to .08, the legal limit here in PA and i would go to jail for likely 6-8 months since i have a prior DUI.

Drinking and driving.....:beer1::nono2:

aikemirv

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:

The term did , yes, no doubt about it - The Bible Says they were first called Christians at Antioch.

As far as the first religion goes, though, I called it that because of lack of a better term.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I believe that you are correct when you state that the "term" Christian started after the resurrection.
I'm really racking my brain cells here, but I think they were called that by non-believers.

I think they called themselves, "Followers of I Am"

Not sure about that.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
I'm really racking my brain cells here, but I think they were called that by non-believers.

I think they called themselves, "Followers of I Am"

Not sure about that.

I am not sure either. :)

superpunk

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I would disagree with you on your stance regarding the effects of "pot" vs. "beer" AND also disagree with your assesment of "defiling" the body. I think you have taken it to a legalistic extreme....

It's legal to get tattoos, and to smoke tobacco, but I wouldn't do those things. I don't understand how I have a "stance" exactly, on effects of pot vs beer. You can have one or two beers, and be fine, but one joint....not so much, LOL.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Acts 11:26 - And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Acts 11:26 - And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Some supporting data from the original Greek

The original greek word used in that passage was khris-tee-an-os'

Definition - a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
I am not sure either. :)
Good one !

The Bible is such an incredily amazing book, just packed full of many "treasures" to be discovered through study, ... I wish I knew more.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
The term did , yes, no doubt about it - The Bible Says they were first called Christians at Antioch.

As far as the first religion goes, though, I called it that because of lack of a better term.

Christianity began when the holy spirit was poured out at Pentecost in 33 c.e. (tongues of fire), but it was much different from what we have come to know as "Christianity" today, LOL.

You could say that the first "faithful worshipper of God" was Abel, since he died faithful, unlike his parents or brother. Aside from that, until the time of Jesus, the only people following God was the nation of Israel, and any proselytes that associated with them.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
superpunk said:
You can have one or two beers, and be fine, but one joint....not so much, LOL.

I think that statement is true relevant to the frequency with which a person uses. It's probably true for someone that's never smoked a joint, or only smoked once or twice. The same for drinking and a person that never drinks getting hammered with one beer.

For regular smokers, depending on the quality of the pot you're smoking, one "serving" (I don't think most pot smokers would consider a whole joint as a serving, like one bottle of beer) of said joint could do about as much as one beer for a regular drinker.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
superpunk said:
It's legal to get tattoos, and to smoke tobacco, but I wouldn't do those things. I don't understand how I have a "stance" exactly, on effects of pot vs beer. You can have one or two beers, and be fine, but one joint....not so much, LOL.

I will agree that it is best to stay away from both if possible.

I used to smoke quite a bit in a previous agnostic life....among other things.

My personal experience was that a few "hits" did not have a major impact after you got beyond the first couple of times.

The first time I smoked it did have a major impact on my mind. But I can also say the same thing for the first beer I ever drank. My first beer threw me for a larger loop than my first "toke".

But now I just have an occasional glass of wine.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Christianity began when the holy spirit was poured out at Pentecost in 33 c.e. (tongues of fire), but it was much different from what we have come to know as "Christianity" today, LOL.

You could say that the first "faithful worshipper of God" was Abel, since he died faithful, unlike his parents or brother. Aside from that, until the time of Jesus, the only people following God was the nation of Israel, and any proselytes that associated with them.

What about Noah :)

superpunk

Reaction score
Faerluna said:
I think that statement is true relevant to the frequency with which a person uses.

True in all things. An alcoholic may need 10 beers before any impairment occurs, but they have had to build up to that point. It doesn't happen overnight. In order for a pot smoker to get to the point you described, he would need to continually push his limits, which would continually impair him. In any case, if there was a bag, with traces of marijuana, it can be assumed more than one joint was made. Again, I prefer to give Michael the benefit of the doubt.

superpunk

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Speaking of Noah, Got drunk and was an embarressment - not for drinking, but getting drunk.

Excellent point. Noah's folly there, resulted in one of his sons' being punished, for 'laying bare his fathers nakedness'. More than just Noah was affected there.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Genesis 1:11
Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants ...

Genesis 1:12
The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds ...

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth ...

Looks like God wants me to get high !!

J/K :lmao2: