I have no issues with the end of game clock mismangement

SackMaster

Reaction score
I go back to my original comment. its lack of "game management" that concerns me more than what transpired...this is now two games in a row we have clock/game management issues. we had issues last year too.

and btw, I never said its automatic yards. you take it if its there, else you throw it away. you try to improve your position, if not, you are no worse off. Brady did it three times against us, each time, play wasn't there and he threw it away.....that simple. call a safe play. run it safely. Dak throws it if its not 100% there....that's it.
Yet there was confusion, by a coach or player somewhere, and had the Cowboys tried to run a play without everyone knowing what to do and someone does something like ... IDK, false start #77 ... are they in FG range still? It seems unlikely.

Or do we use our own time out to make sure everyone knows what to do?
Then attempt a "safe play" which results in an incomplete pass because Dak had to throw it away.
In that case, the clock stops again, but this time with LAC NOT having to use a TO, and we are STILL trying a 56 yarder for the win.

So lets go over what happens then:
  • Cowboys make it, leave 15 seconds on the clock and LAC has 2 of their TOs.
    • Hope our D does not give up big plays down the field, and/or let something underneath for a big gain (aka, you can't just play prevent due to the 2 TOs.)
    • Luckily, outside a TD, we win or go to OT (just like what happened, but with MUCH more risk)
  • Cowboys miss it (like fans seem to believe was the more likely scenario)
    • LAC has the ball around their own 46 yard line, which is a 25 yard difference in field position, with ~15 seconds and 2 TOs.
    • But now instead of a chance to tie the game, you are a lot closer for a chance to win
    • Instead of having to drive ~50ish yard for a FG attempt to tie, you are looking at ~30ish yards for a chance to win

If you are upset that there was confusion, I'm fine with that. But if you are upset that the clock was "mismanaged", then I don't know what to say.

The Cowboys put themselves in a situation EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL would take in a similar situation and IMO, it is the Chargers who should be upset with the clock management.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I can't think of one. And the fact none of us really can kind of shows how weird it is how we played that end of the game. At that point, with 28 seconds left, the Chargers know they aren't getting the ball back with any real time. I bet they were surprised that the Cowboys let the clock run down to settle for a 56 yard FG.

Also, the fact the Cowboys trotted out a bunch of weird excuses like how McCarthy and Moore couldn't see the clock tells you they know they didn't manage the end of the game well. Further, McCarthy said it wasn't even not having a play ready, they said a player ran off the field which caused confusion.

The Chargers could get the ball back with ~20 seconds and a timeout around midfield if the Cowboys miss the FG. Then the Chargers could get a game winning field goal themselves.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't disagree. but I rather take a chance to be closer given same kicker badly missed a 60 yard field goal...so this was only 4 yards shorter. and that is my point, they intended to run. but didn't. because they didn't seem prepared..

and they gave their reason, you except it or not. Had they done so with the confusion and uncertainty in place, I think you run a big risk of negative play or penalty and risk getting move out complete of makeable FG range. Fact is they did such a bad job that they went into a game that not many were even giving them a chance and walked out with the win and yet 0 credit.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
ZUERLEIN HIT 3 OUT OF 9 FIELD GOALS 50+ in 2020. So if you have no problem with the pathetic sequence that took place at the end of the game, you're just like my mom, who doesn't want to have difficult conversations and just wants everybody to be happy.

Mike McCarthy, Dak Prescott, Kellen Moore, and all Cowboys fans are very fortunate that Zuerlein, who was very shaky last week, hit that 56 yard field goal. If he hadn't, things around here would be very different.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Look. Do I wish the Cowboys been a little smarter with the clock in the last ~30 seconds of the game? Sure.

But forced, and even worse, unforced errors are a thing. See the KC RB that just flat out drop the football while not being touched towards the end of that game vs Baltimore.

Bad snap, fumble, sack, TFL, interception, false start, holding, illegal shift, illegal formation, delay of game ... or anything else you can think of could have happened, then what was in range for GZ is out of range for GZ.

I do believe the Cowboys coaches were expecting the Chargers to take a timeout, hence no other playcall came in for the offense to run after that last run, but since the Chargers didn't call a TO, I think it played out perfectly.

Why, you might ask?
  1. It was not a FG that if you missed you lost.
  2. But we also made sure that if GZ did miss, LAC could not use their left over TO to try and attempt a last minute Hail Mary.
I get it, no one wanted to go into Overtime in that game, but at the same time, I'm thinking the end of the game clock management issue is being COMPLETELY overblown.

Fact of the matter is, last week we complained about giving TB too much time to make a last minute comeback.

This week Big Mike DID NOT make that mistake .... yet some people, to include the local Dallas media, is dang near calling for MM's head.

I just don't get it, but then again, you are more than welcome to try and change my mind.
:grin:
nothing like being ok with incompetence

SackMaster

Reaction score
nothing like being ok with incompetence
Care to elaborate what was so incompetent about it?

I understand if you said "not prepared", because they even admitted they were confused at the end. But incompetent? That seems a little hyperbolic.

SackMaster

Reaction score
ZUERLEIN HIT 3 OUT OF 9 FIELD GOALS 50+ in 2020. So if you have no problem with the pathetic sequence that took place at the end of the game, you're just like my mom, who doesn't want to have difficult conversations and just wants everybody to be happy.

Mike McCarthy, Dak Prescott, Kellen Moore, and all Cowboys fans are very fortunate that Zuerlein, who was very shaky last week, hit that 56 yard field goal. If he hadn't, things around here would be very different.
Oh, I can have difficult conversations about things that matter. Hell, if I worked with the Cowboys, I would probably be having difficult conversations about why there was so much confusion on the sideline late in the game.

And I get it, GZ hasn't been great at long distance, and was mostly bad week 1. Yet you pay him to make those kicks regardless if it is a 56 yarder or a XP.

I'm just not going to blow it out of proportion because a guy we paid to do that EXACT thing, did his job with flying colors.

And even if he missed, at least the Chargers would have not gotten the ball back in regulation.

So I just don't see what all the crying and complaining is about when JUST LAST WEEK, we could not run the clock down so the other team didn't have a chance.
:thumbup:

EST_1986

Reaction score
Care to elaborate what was so incompetent about it?

I understand if you said "not prepared", because they even admitted they were confused at the end. But incompetent? That seems a little hyperbolic.
being confused by a clock is pretty incompetent

SackMaster

Reaction score
being confused by a clock is pretty incompetent
Well, if one clock was turned off, and one was blocked by an object (camera), is it incompetence or bad luck / placement?

Not saying that was the case, but I don't think MM would lie about that either, especially since that excuse is not all that flattering.

I just hope you are never judged as incompetent for something you SHOULD have done, but couldn't because of things completely out of your control.

JMHO

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Look. Do I wish the Cowboys been a little smarter with the clock in the last ~30 seconds of the game? Sure.

But forced, and even worse, unforced errors are a thing. See the KC RB that just flat out drop the football while not being touched towards the end of that game vs Baltimore.

Bad snap, fumble, sack, TFL, interception, false start, holding, illegal shift, illegal formation, delay of game ... or anything else you can think of could have happened, then what was in range for GZ is out of range for GZ.

I do believe the Cowboys coaches were expecting the Chargers to take a timeout, hence no other playcall came in for the offense to run after that last run, but since the Chargers didn't call a TO, I think it played out perfectly.

Why, you might ask?
  1. It was not a FG that if you missed you lost.
  2. But we also made sure that if GZ did miss, LAC could not use their left over TO to try and attempt a last minute Hail Mary.
I get it, no one wanted to go into Overtime in that game, but at the same time, I'm thinking the end of the game clock management issue is being COMPLETELY overblown.

Fact of the matter is, last week we complained about giving TB too much time to make a last minute comeback.

This week Big Mike DID NOT make that mistake .... yet some people, to include the local Dallas media, is dang near calling for MM's head.

I just don't get it, but then again, you are more than welcome to try and change my mind.
:grin:

They needed LAC to use their timeout. If we use our timeout there and run a play, no matter what they can call timeout after the that play if we cannot get a first down. They had a TO to spare. They get the ball back with ~20 seconds and a timeout then after we make our FG attempt. If we miss that field goal that is a HUGE problem.

Other possibilities include the mistakes you are talking about.

There was clearly confusion and we are talking 30 seconds. Also consider that Cooper had just gotten them 20 yards but finished the play writhing on the ground and had been pulled. There was a mixup with personnel and you absolutely cannot take a penalty of any kind. Zeurlein was kicking the ball well.

I'm fine with what happened. I am disappointed in sidleline execution and I am stunned they do not have a designated timekeeper of their own who constant tracks the clock. But the goal was to end the game on a scoring attempt and we got it.

SackMaster

Reaction score
They needed LAC to use their timeout. If we use our timeout there and run a play, no matter what they can call timeout after the that play if we cannot get a first down. They had a TO to spare. They get the ball back with ~20 seconds and a timeout then after we make our FG attempt. If we miss that field goal that is a HUGE problem.

Other possibilities include the mistakes you are talking about.

There was clearly confusion and we are talking 30 seconds. Also consider that Cooper had just gotten them 20 yards but finished the play writhing on the ground and had been pulled. There was a mixup with personnel and you absolutely cannot take a penalty of any kind. Zeurlein was kicking the ball well.

I'm fine with what happened. I am disappointed in sidleline execution and I am stunned they do not have a designated timekeeper of their own who constant tracks the clock. But the goal was to end the game on a scoring attempt and we got it.
Thank you.

Again, not saying that everything was perfect, but considering what LAC did, what we did in response was fine IMO.

I'm perfectly fine with them designating some assistant coach or PS player to just to watch the clock late in the half/game if needed, but what happened was more "disappointing" than "disastrous".

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Someone on twitter said that's like playing blackjack and hitting on 18 then saying it was the right decision because you got a 3.

Calling timeout was not an option unless you want to give them the ball back with a shot field after we potentially miss the field goal. Zeurlein is 55% from 50+ for his career.

We have the wrong personnel on the field. Cooper is out and you are down to WR5. Your OC is telling you his vision is blocked. What is your master plan to win better?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Second-guessing how a win was won is just what some Cowboys fans do. If it wasn't in accordance with how they wanted it then it merits criticism and the HC's head to roll. I'm with the OP, we won, the "W" is ours and I don't care how the sausage was made. I'm going to enjoy this victory and am looking forward to three straight at home.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Calling timeout was not an option unless you want to give them the ball back with a shot field after we potentially miss the field goal. Zeurlein is 55% from 50+ for his career.

We have the wrong personnel on the field. Cooper is out and you are down to WR5. Your OC is telling you his vision is blocked. What is your master plan to win better?

Personally I would have run the ball but the coaches themselves confessed they didn't do the optimal thing since they are giving these excuses about not being able to see the clock and one of the guys leaving the field. The coaches themselves are saying they would have preferred to run another play. My only point from the post you quoted was that saying it was a good decision simply because they won the game isn't good reasoning.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
yup, we would have gone to overtime, and we may have won, lost, tied...we will never know.

I think the point is that it was miss managed, for whatever reason, and it has to be improved on going forward. We were good bc greg made a hell of a kick, but things like that should be cleaned up...no point in adding additional challenges
It was obvious to the novice that time could have been managed better.