I have no issues with the end of game clock mismangement

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Personally I would have run the ball but the coaches themselves confessed they didn't do the optimal thing since they are giving these excuses about not being able to see the clock and one of the guys leaving the field. The coaches themselves are saying they would have preferred to run another play. My only point from the post you quoted was that saying it was a good decision simply because they won the game isn't good reasoning.

That is not a confession of anything. Just that they could not really see the clock initially. They clearly found it because they called timeout with 4 seconds left.

People really need to take in that calling timeout was not a good option at 30 seconds.

So it is 3rd and 3. We have 1 timeout. The Chargers have 2. 30 seconds remain on the clock. WR1 just went out with a rib injury. You have the wrong personnel on the field. The clock on the screen is taken off and your OC tells you his vision is blocked by a camera crew. The Chargers are presenting a heavy box.

So the Chargers are stacking the box and likely playing press bail.

You want to run the ball? Getting the 3 yards or even a TD is a possibility. Other possibilities include not getting the three yards and missing the field goal. A 5 yard penalty is another disastrous possibility. You do remember how that game was being called right?

The way it went our only two possibilities were a win or overtime.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
That is not a confession of anything. Just that they could not really see the clock initially. They clearly found it because they called timeout with 4 seconds left.

People really need to take in that calling timeout was not a good option at 30 seconds.

So it is 3rd and 3. We have 1 timeout. The Chargers have 2. 30 seconds remain on the clock. WR1 just went out with a rib injury. You have the wrong personnel on the field. The clock on the screen is taken off and your OC tells you his vision is blocked by a camera crew. The Chargers are presenting a heavy box.

So the Chargers are stacking the box and likely playing press bail.

You want to run the ball? Getting the 3 yards or even a TD is a possibility. Other possibilities include not getting the three yards and missing the field goal. A 5 yard penalty is another disastrous possibility. You do remember how that game was being called right?

The way it went our only two possibilities were a win or overtime.

I didn't say anything about calling a timeout. I'm just saying they should have tried to run a play to get a bit closer and then kick the field goal. They had enough time to do that without calling a timeout assuming the issues they brought up didn't occur. McCarthy was in contact with a coach in the booth to get the timeout when he did.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about calling a timeout. I'm just saying they should have tried to run a play to get a bit closer and then kick the field goal. They had enough time to do that without calling a timeout assuming the issues they brought up didn't occur.

And they get the ball back unless you convert. You intent on not acknowledging that?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Not going to try and change your mind but the bottom line is something fishy happened with the play clock going out and MM wasn't ready to adjust to it.

Lesson learned for him too I'm sure and he will be more aware next time of other options in case the play clock goes out.

If Greg misses that fg obviously it's a different conversation....what if it came up a yard short?
The league needs to fine the Chargers for cheating.

SackMaster

Reaction score
No they don't. It would be 4th down and then you kick the fg as time expires the exact same way.
You don't think the Chargers don't call a timeout on 4th down if we don't get the 1st?

At that point, there is no risk of "getting it closer", so I find that .... Interesting.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No they don't. It would be 4th down and then you kick the fg as time expires the exact same way.

You don't know that in the moment. Given Zeurlein's leg there is a 45% chance he misses that kick. You judge based on what was known at the time.

He misses that kick(45%) and they get the ball back around midfield with ~20 seconds left and a timeout in a tie ball game.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You don't think the Chargers don't call a timeout on 4th down if we don't get the 1st?

At that point, there is no risk of "getting it closer", so I find that .... Interesting.

Yea but youve already run the clock down by that point. The clock was already running.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You don't know that in the moment. Given Zeurlein's leg there is a 45% chance he misses that kick. You judge based on what was known at the time.

He misses that kick(45%) and they get the ball back around midfield with ~20 seconds left and a timeout in a tie ball game.
No they don't the clock was already running. You run the clock down to 10 seconds or so and then run the play.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
And like I said before even if you think the correct play is to sit on the ball and kick a 56 yard field goal, then you should be upset that McCarthy was forced into making that decision by a personnel mix-up and clock issues.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
And like I said before even if you think the correct play is to sit on the ball and kick a 56 yard field goal, then you should be upset that McCarthy was forced into making that decision by a personnel mix-up and clock issues.

Don't be fooled. Look at the last run play Pollard ran. He clearly had the outside to the sideline but turned it back in for the field goal hatch. Re watch that last run right before Dak let the clock run down.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Yea but youve already run the clock down by that point. The clock was already running.
Straight off a personnel mixup and hope we don't commit a pre-snap infraction or have a delay of game trying to fix it?

Or do we take the TO, to make sure we get the play in, then rush to get the FG unit on IF the Chargers don't use a TO and/or we don't get out of bounds?

Or we use the time out, run a play, throw it away, don't get any closer, then don't take any time off the clock, giving LAC the slimmest of chances?

That's a lot of risk IMO, since apparently we were not ready personnel wise.

If you want to complain we were not prepared personnel wise, I won't argue it.

But IMO, we did the right thing based off what actually happened, which many fans and media members are acting was the worse thing we could have done.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Personnel? Ya, agreed.

Clock? I don't know. We kicked a FG and left 0 time on the clock afterwords. That does not change make or miss.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Personnel? Ya, agreed.

Clock? I don't know. We kicked a FG and left 0 time on the clock afterwords. That does not change make or miss.

McCarthy said he wanted to run another play but couldn't because they couldn't see the play clock on the field. That is what I'm referring to when I said clock issues. So they just decided to run the clock down and kick the field goal instead.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No they don't the clock was already running. You run the clock down to 10 seconds or so and then run the play.

:lmao:so you're grandstanding on MM's ability as a HC over 1 potential play that didn't happen. Despite having won the game. . . .

It's not as foolproof as you want to believe it btw.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
:lmao:so you're grandstanding on MM's ability as a HC over 1 potential play that didn't happen. Despite having won the game. . . .

All I said in my original post was that winning the game doesn't necessarily make it the right decision. I didn't bash McCarthy. I didn't even say if the decision was right or wrong. But people started jumping down my throat to protect McCarthy's honor when he himself said he would have rather run another play. Argue with him lol.

SackMaster

Reaction score

And they are supposed to let EVERYONE know the snap count, get set, and no one flinch until there is 10 seconds left when there is confusion with the personnel close to the max distance of your FG Kicker's range?

And even if ALL that works out, and we don't commit a penalty, we magically gain x amount of yards because the Chargers are just cool with us trying to make the FG easier?

Man, you think MM is hated NOW?
:laugh: