I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Every single player is a replaceable fringe player that overshot his talent level on occasion and warmed someone's heart along the way. But they are ALL replaceable. Leary aside... we knew we were going to lose him and La'el will fill in just fine.

But on the defensive side of the ball, cmon man...:facepalm:
Can we please not pretend as though that was the glaring weakness of our team last year. We could draft 7 picks this year and they would probably all maintain at least the level of play we had last year out of these salary thief's. Let them go play elsewhere and prove to others that they are exactly what we thought they were. There's good reason why our DL rotation was weak and our secondary was a combination of part time infirmary warriors and toast left in the toaster too long.

Some of our rooks from last year will step up on the DLine, Jaylon will rock, and we will draft nicely. I think we will also find some bargains in FA now that the day one fire sale is over.

Keep the faith. Nothing has truly been lost... :starspin:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I challenge anyone to give me one name. Just one of any player we lost yesterday that's not replaceable. I'll wait.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Plus three key draft picks from last that didn't contribute... And FA.

Three? Let's see. Not even sure if two can play effectively due to medical issues and one is a sixth round choice.

As far as FA goes, all is not lost, but they are getting dangerously close to downgrading and putting all their eggs into the April basket.

At the end of the day, it is a gamble, any way you slice it.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

The unfortunate part is that complacency after a strong season does get teams to lose focus and think they are better than they are and think things from one season translate to the next. All you have to do is look at the 2016 Super Bowl participants to see what happens when you do lose that focus of continuous improvement.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When the rats are jumping ship, the ship is probably sinking. In the case of the Cowboys, the defense is most certainly the reason why the ship can't sail. It can be fixed and probably will be before the season starts but make no mistake, as of right now the Cowboys are in disarray.

Alexander

Reaction score
I challenge anyone to give me one name. Just one of any player we lost yesterday that's not replaceable. I'll wait.
All players are replaceable.

That is not the point.

The issue is what resources are available to replace them. It is not like Dallas is sitting in a great position to attract remaining free agents and the draft capital is minimal.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score

That is not the point.

The issue is what resources are available to replace them. It is not like Dallas is sitting in a great position to attract remaining free agents and the draft capital is minimal.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Three? Let's see. Not even sure if two can play effectively due to medical issues and one is a sixth round choice.

As far as FA goes, all is not lost, but they are getting dangerously close to downgrading and putting all their eggs into the April basket.

At the end of the day, it is a gamble, any way you slice it.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

The unfortunate part is that complacency after a strong season does get teams to lose focus and think they are better than they are and think things from one season translate to the next. All you have to do is look at the 2016 Super Bowl participants to see what happens when you do lose that focus of continuous improvement.
We all knew the defense was desperately in need of some serious rework so non of this should come as a surprise. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of 4 in the starting secondary as completely new faces.

Alexander

Reaction score
It's not the individuals that makes this so bad. It's the culmination of all of them at the same time that makes this bad.

The secondary is the concern.

The last thing we needed is to have one position group became the dominant pain point for the entire draft.

So unless Carr is signed back, we will most certainly have secondary on the brain, which is not the best situation to be in.

You never want to go into a draft desperate. We should have already been there with the pass rush. Add in WR, possibly TE and you already have your draft path practically scripted out for you and that is never a good thing as it will make you look the other way and go pure need because you have to have bodies.

Gaede

Reaction score

That is not the point.

This is true.

The guys we lost aren't all-stars. But we still need to actually go about replacing them. Expecting to do that with rookies is foolish. Expecting to do that with a 6th rd pick who's had no playing time is foolish.

I'd expect the Boys to pick up a starter at safety before the draft and at least one defensive lineman. If they don't, then the defense is worse than last year. And it was our weakness last year.

I don't expect them to get a CB besides Carr because they will want to draft one, of course.

kevm3

Reaction score
Replacing a ton of vets with rookies is not the best recipe for success. The cowboys have been doing nice in the draft as of late, especially in the 1st round and on the offense, but you can't take that and completely ignore FA. Dumping a bunch of new guys to the league together on defense and who have no cohesion with each other and limited veteran leadership is a surefire recipe for getting your defense lit up.

Alexander

Reaction score
The guys we lost aren't all-stars. But we still need to actually go about replacing them. Expecting to do that with rookies is foolish. Expecting to do that with a 6th rd pick who's had no playing time is foolish.

That is where I believe Dallas has got a little arrogant after a good draft.

I would understand that if we had been doing it for years. But we haven't.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Lol.. As expected, you guys are in panic mode. I saw this coming and most of you did too. We don't have a load of cap room and we have guys that are like today's typical player... Loyal to money not organization.

FA bargaining and the draft will set your minds at ease. :grin:

Alexander

Reaction score
Lol.. As expected, you guys are in panic mode. I saw this coming and most of you did too. We don't have a load of cap room and we have guys that are like today's typical player... Loyal to money not organization.

The FA bargaining is what is concerning.

"Panic" is freaking out when someone isn't signed the first day.

But you have to see how the period unfolds and this one is unique.

I don't think this is one of those years where you can wait until a month or so in and then decide it is time to hit the rummage bin in the basement.

There are even veterans getting more guaranteed money than you have seen the last few years. It is very aggressive.

Our lack of cap flexibility means we cannot be precise and calculating with we can fortify the roster. We cannot compete.

It forces letting the market dictate what is left for them to pick from.

So that just means we are counting on a lot of other teams with a lot of money to spend to simply just miss out on a player.

Good luck.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I hope you are right my friend.

P.S. : Never change your avatar. :D