I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections

lqmac1

Reaction score
Every single player is a replaceable fringe player that overshot his talent level on occasion and warmed someone's heart along the way. But they are ALL replaceable. Leary aside... we knew we were going to lose him and La'el will fill in just fine.

But on the defensive side of the ball, cmon man...:facepalm:
Can we please not pretend as though that was the glaring weakness of our team last year. We could draft 7 picks this year and they would probably all maintain at least the level of play we had last year out of these salary thief's. Let them go play elsewhere and prove to others that they are exactly what we thought they were. There's good reason why our DL rotation was weak and our secondary was a combination of part time infirmary warriors and toast left in the toaster too long.

Some of our rooks from last year will step up on the DLine, Jaylon will rock, and we will draft nicely. I think we will also find some bargains in FA now that the day one fire sale is over.

Keep the faith. Nothing has truly been lost... :starspin:
I fully trust Stephen Jones and Will McClay. I don't think they're letting all these players leave without having a plan.

There's no way they're only depending on the draft. I think they have something up their sleeve but are waiting on the Romo trade to finalize.

Maybe they already have something worked out with another team in regards to the picks we get for Romo and are just patiently waiting for Denver or Houston.

Or maybe the Romo deal involves a stud defender from either team since both have a lot of talent on the defense.

JJ Watt?

Who knows?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Nothing like taking a weakness, making it more weak, then expecting one draft with seven picks to fix it.
Well you said it, weakness. So what's the difference if we lose them anyways. Weakness or more weak is all the same in my book. So either way by picking up new players or draft, it can only get better

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I fully trust Stephen Jones and Will McClay. I don't think they're letting all these players leave without having a plan.

There's no way they're only depending on the draft. I think they have something up their sleeve but are waiting on the Romo trade to finalize.

Maybe they already have something worked out with another team in regards to the picks we get for Romo and are just patiently waiting for Denver or Houston.

Or maybe the Romo deal involves a stud defender from either team since both have a lot of talent on the defense.

JJ Watt?

Who knows?
Yup. Ever since they elevated Willie McClay, I learned to understand that there is always a plan. Not like in yesteryear where it was a roller coaster ride.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
"I hope no one is truly panicking over these day one FA defections" People were losing their minds last year at 11-1... This is what CZ is... You just have to accept it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Weakness or more weak is all the same in my book.
This makes zero sense when you are not in a good position to actively make improvements after downgrading.

But have at it.

Don't forget to cross your fingers in April.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well you said it, weakness. So what's the difference if we lose them anyways. Weakness or more weak is all the same in my book. So either way by picking up new players or draft, it can only get better

Pass rush was a weakness. We had depth at cb, and if we lose both Carr and Claiborne, then we have Scandrick and ABrown. So I guess we got to depend on another rookie cb to hopefully play as well as ABrown did last year. And at safety, we lose Church and most likely Wilcox.

Carson

Reaction score
The problem is not that one is not irreplaceable.

The problem is the entire sum of players we are losing.

Leary being gone ... but Collins should slide in nicely. We can sign a backup guard like Jonathan Cooper and be ok.

The defense however is scary.

You're essentially losing both Strong safeties. You are replacing an experienced solid pro and backup, with a guy who hasn't started much (Heath) and a guy who played 35 snaps last season (Frazier).

We still don't know what to do at corner, but resigning Carr is a must. Carr, Scandrick and Brown. That's your starting corners for most of last season.

Crawford is a depth guy but are up tons of snaps. He is replaceable in the draft or a cheaper free agent.

It's not panic mode for the defense ... yet.

But I would rather not start the year with Brown, Scandrick, Rookie CB. Then Jones and Heath/Church. Even though Heath may be solid.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I challenge anyone to give me one name. Just one of any player we lost yesterday that's not replaceable. I'll wait.
The only one that hurts is Leary. Of course he is replaceable. I liked his toughness. Anyway, players come and go l have no problem with any player leaving. I only want the club to improve year to year. Whether its done by Coaching, drafting, player development or strategic FA signings.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

The defense was scary last year so what's the difference?

That's why I said Leary aside in my OP be side I liked him but he is indeed already replaced by La'el.

The whole premise of my OP was to shed some light on some of these clowns on D that have been dogging it in Big D. Go dog it elsewhere. I like the tone our front office is setting. Give 110 percent and we will give it back in terms of loyalty. Be a clown and get treated like a clown come FA.

Bye Felicias.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Replacing scrubs is not hard. Losing a scrub doesn't mean anything, because the worst case is you replace fringe players with other fringe players in FA or the late rounds of the draft.

Best case is you upgrade some of them with mid-tier or better FA and higher draft picks.

We're going to see some mix of the two because no team is good everywhere and there is always lots of turnover year to year.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Are we trying to be slightly less atrocious or are we trying to change that culture? That's my question.

LittleD

Reaction score
The problem is not that one is not irreplaceable.

The problem is the entire sum of players we are losing.

Leary being gone ... but Collins should slide in nicely. We can sign a backup guard like Jonathan Cooper and be ok.

You're essentially losing both Strong safeties. You are replacing an experienced solid pro and backup, with a guy who hasn't started much (Heath) and a guy who played 35 snaps last season (Frazier).

We still don't know what to do at corner, but resigning Carr is a must. Carr, Scandrick and Brown. That's your starting corners for most of last season.

Crawford is a depth guy but are up tons of snaps. He is replaceable in the draft or a cheaper free agent.

It's not panic mode for the defense ... yet.

But I would rather not start the year with Brown, Scandrick, Rookie CB. Then Jones and Heath/Church. Even though Heath may be solid.

So most everyone on this board complained about the horrible defense last year all the way thru the playoff game. There were issues with the line, issues with the LB's, issues with the secondary and safeties. Now some of the players that were ragged on all year are leaving or have left. Yes, we have to rebuild the secondary with draft picks and cheap FA's. Will the defense be better or worse than last year. Don't have a clue yet but, it will be different. It the defense plays better with lesser known players, some will still complain since we didn't spend a boatload of money on some named player they heard of on another team. McClay will find a complete compliment of players to field a team with this summer. Be patient and step back from the ledge.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Yup. Ever since they elevated Willie McClay, I learned to understand that there is always a plan. Not like in yesteryear where it was a roller coaster ride.

The circumstances of a large FA of course they knew were coming.We'll know how they play out their hand.
The entire DB backfield has become more important and need may sway .

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Death by a thousand paper cuts is how I characterize our situation right now. Let's hope Will McClay and Stephen can stop the bleeding.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Every single player is a replaceable fringe player that overshot his talent level on occasion and warmed someone's heart along the way. But they are ALL replaceable. Leary aside... we knew we were going to lose him and La'el will fill in just fine.

But on the defensive side of the ball, cmon man...:facepalm:
Can we please not pretend as though that was the glaring weakness of our team last year. We could draft 7 picks this year and they would probably all maintain at least the level of play we had last year out of these salary thief's. Let them go play elsewhere and prove to others that they are exactly what we thought they were. There's good reason why our DL rotation was weak and our secondary was a combination of part time infirmary warriors and toast left in the toaster too long.

Some of our rooks from last year will step up on the DLine, Jaylon will rock, and we will draft nicely. I think we will also find some bargains in FA now that the day one fire sale is over.

Keep the faith. Nothing has truly been lost... :starspin:

the players lost are no big deal.
what was lost was the opportunity to improve.
instead, we continue to wait for our turn to shop in the garbage heap looking for a bargain.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
So most everyone on this board complained about the horrible defense last year all the way thru the playoff game. There were issues with the line, issues with the LB's, issues with the secondary and safeties. Now some of the players that were ragged on all year are leaving or have left. Yes, we have to rebuild the secondary with draft picks and cheap FA's. Will the defense be better or worse than last year. Don't have a clue yet but, it will be different. It the defense plays better with lesser known players, some will still complain since we didn't spend a boatload of money on some named player they heard of on another team. McClay will find a complete compliment of players to field a team with this summer. Be patient and step back from the ledge.
:clap:

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
All players are replaceable.

That is not the point.

The issue is what resources are available to replace them. It is not like Dallas is sitting in a great position to attract remaining free agents and the draft capital is minimal.

It's almost like there's an entire pool of undrafted players that Dallas can sign as well.

I can't believe we're upset about losing the Jack Crawfords and Barry Churches of the world.