I Just don’t get the sudden Cooper Disappointment

LittleD

Reaction score
Ya'll gonna find out real quick when the passing game struggles next year without Cooper making everyone look better.

I can't wait for the "what's going on with the offense?" posts.

Doesn't matter to Jerry one bit. If Jerry doesn't think a player is all in and is way overpaid, he goes. Jerry only wishes he could cut Zeke this year but that bad contract is biting.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter to Jerry one bit. If Jerry doesn't think a player is all in and is way overpaid, he goes. Jerry only wishes he could cut Zeke this year but that bad contract is biting.
I don't know about the "all in" thing. I believe it was more of the contract than anything else.

Cooper can only do so much. It's the QB and OCs responsibility to find ways to get him the ball. There's plenty of evidence that's been posted showing Cooper wide open and Dak just being clueless.

I'm sure next year we'll hear "is CeeDee all in?" from segments of the fanbase when his numbers drop without Cooper taking the heat off.

basel90

Reaction score
Yes, 19 haas some of the sickest routes in the game. No doubt. The guy disappears when it’s crunch time and his attitude sucks. He is a “me first” instead of a team guy. The FO found that out too late in the game or thought he would change with the contract. Well that didn’t happen and here we are. His production did not constitute $20,000,000 a year. Sorry.

Good chess player, not a game changing WR. And definitely would not put it all on the line for his teammates.

Best of luck in Cleveland.
A lazy receiver who has a me first attitude. Unvaccinated. Selfish . Does not block . Overpaid .
Good bye

CWR

Reaction score
Yes, 19 haas some of the sickest routes in the game. No doubt. The guy disappears when it’s crunch time and his attitude sucks. He is a “me first” instead of a team guy. The FO found that out too late in the game or thought he would change with the contract. Well that didn’t happen and here we are. His production did not constitute $20,000,000 a year. Sorry.

Good chess player, not a game changing WR. And definitely would not put it all on the line for his teammates.

What did Coop do that gave you the "me first" impression?

CWR

Reaction score
A lazy receiver who has a me first attitude. Unvaccinated. Selfish . Does not block . Overpaid .
Good bye

I figured by now most the vax crowd would've woken up to the fact it's not everything it's been sold as. Coop not wanting that crap in his body doesn't make him selfish. If you didn't see what a con the NFL policy was, you must not have been paying attention to the playoffs. Clueless.

blueblood70

Reaction score

agreed I like AC it was a good trade..and if AC wanted to chat with OBJ on Cleavelands offense and how that going to work out and even Landry is demanding to be traded , i mean. Hey good luck truly.

now this rumor on collins has to be the dumbest trade the Cowboys ever made if its true..i mean why in the world would you give up a 3rd with colins to get back 7th over 10mil for starting RT? Im confused unless hes about to be suspended for year i dont get it..

its a head scratcher..

fivetwos

Reaction score
And he plays receiver lol. If Hopkins got traded for nothing I don’t know why people thought Coop would net more.
They aren't all that difficult to come by in the draft the way they play the college game these days.

And they come out ready to play immediately.

You've really gotta light the world on fire to justify 20m, and thats probably why the agent agreed to the structure that made him cuttable so quickly.

Cmac

Reaction score
It's the one step forward, two steps backwards approach. Then blame a player.

basel90

Reaction score
I figured by now most the vax crowd would've woken up to the fact it's not everything it's been sold as. Coop not wanting that crap in his body doesn't make him selfish. If you didn't see what a con the NFL policy was, you must not have been paying attention to the playoffs. Clueless.
he does not block , only had 100 yards all season and you want to say he is elite ? have you seen how bad he blocks ? Are you also convinced
he is worth 20 mil a year given we have cee dee at 1.5 mil ? the vax thing is subjective i agree but hey why create issues for the team and miss games ? something is off with his attitude overall !!

NumOneQB

Reaction score
It’s a stupid narrative spewed by an inept front office. Cooper is clearly the best WR on this roster.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Cowboys are done next season. This was a stupid decision. Keep DLaw and Elliot who were the most worthless big contracts we have here. Yet we give up our best route runner who had the strongest connection with Dak. Another brilliant move by the Cowboys inept front office.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Raiders and Chiefs games tell you all you need to. Couldn’t beat the Raiders at home on a short week without him.

Also if he plays both games he likely goes over 1,000 yards. I think a big reason he was traded was because he didn’t get vaxxed so he couldn’t play in those two games. Jerry listened to Irvin saying Amari cost the team selfishly and that’s the reason for moving on.

Good point, but if that is the reason then Jerry is a bigger bozo than I thought.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the disappointment is not at Cooper being traded. It is the compensation we got in return. We gave up a 1st round pick for him and got a 5th in return. And I expect the Browns will be in or near the playoffs so it is not going to be a high 5th round pick either. I would not have traded him for less than a 2nd. I don't care that other teams are scared by his contract. After acquiring him they are free to restructure his deal and reduce his CAP. He is young and still has 3 years on his deal. People keep telling me what a great player Cooper is. If so, why just a 5th round pick?

The Borwn don't have to worry about Cooper's bonus so he costs them only $20 million a year. Hand him a restructure bonus of $12 million and his CAP number goes down to $13 million in 2022.If he doesn't perform, the Browns can cut him in 2023 and still get a $10 million CAP save on his pre-restructure CAP number. This is what Dallas could have done but clearly their CAP situation pushed them into a bad trade.
If we had demanded a second round pick or higher, there would have been zero takers and then we would have received nothing because either way, the Cowboys FO had already foolishly tipped their hand on Stephen radio show a few weeks ago when he publicly stated he wasn’t sure about Cooper’s future.

The reason the Cowboys got only a 5th for Cooper was their own front office stupidity. Their habit of running their mouth when they don't have to is why they could not get much in a trade for Cooper. It’s that simple. If they were smart they should have said, “Yeah we are excited to get Coop back next year.” But Dumb and Dumber never learn.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think the disappointment is not at Cooper being traded. It is the compensation we got in return. We gave up a 1st round pick for him and got a 5th in return. And I expect the Browns will be in or near the playoffs so it is not going to be a high 5th round pick either. I would not have traded him for less than a 2nd. I don't care that other teams are scared by his contract. After acquiring him they are free to restructure his deal and reduce his CAP. He is young and still has 3 years on his deal. People keep telling me what a great player Cooper is. If so, why just a 5th round pick?

The Borwn don't have to worry about Cooper's bonus so he costs them only $20 million a year. Hand him a restructure bonus of $12 million and his CAP number goes down to $13 million in 2022.If he doesn't perform, the Browns can cut him in 2023 and still get a $10 million CAP save on his pre-restructure CAP number. This is what Dallas could have done but clearly their CAP situation pushed them into a bad trade.
This is just fans not understanding. He was worth a #1 when he was a 24 yo with a low cap hit and a GM who thought he'd be the difference maker on a team with horrible WRs. Now he is a $20M per year cap hit for his new team and was at a position of strength for the Cowboys and not even our #1 WR going forward. From the day he signed this contract his fate was sealed. Look at the contract structure. From day one the plan was to be able to cut him this year. A 5th rounder stinks, but he was going to be cut if we couldn't trade him and if there was a better deal out there we would have taken it. Just think of it as him being cut with a bonus late pick thrown in. Love Amari, but his cap $'s are needed elsewhere to fill holes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I just don’t get your moniker.

Creeper

Reaction score
This is just fans not understanding. He was worth a #1 when he was a 24 yo with a low cap hit and a GM who thought he'd be the difference maker on a team with horrible WRs. Now he is a $20M per year cap hit for his new team and was at a position of strength for the Cowboys and not even our #1 WR going forward. From the day he signed this contract his fate was sealed. Look at the contract structure. From day one the plan was to be able to cut him this year. A 5th rounder stinks, but he was going to be cut if we couldn't trade him and if there was a better deal out there we would have taken it. Just think of it as him being cut with a bonus late pick thrown in. Love Amari, but his cap $'s are needed elsewhere to fill holes.

Give us a bit more credit. First, he was not worth a 1st round pick when they traded for him. My understanding is no other team offered that much. Just because Jerry was willing to give up a 1 for him does not mean he was worth it. This is the same logic that drafting a player in the first round make him a 1st round value.

But I get he is now $20 million per year and he does not play to that level. But who gave him $20 million? The Cowboys. He was never worth that amount either. And now, they had to trade him because they overpaid him. He is only worth a 5th round pick because Jerry criticized him after the season. Then let is out that they were going to cut him if they couldn't trade him. Everything Jerry has done since the season ended has lowered Cooper's value in a trade.

So, let's sum it up. Give up a 1st round pick when no one else would, then sign him to a new contract you knew you could not afford in 2 years, pay him more than he was ever worth, then trade him because overpaying him forced your to, then get 5th round pick because you lowered his value with your actions and by overpaying him = disappointment. I think we understand just fine.

If the Cowboys were not up against the CAP because Jerry overpaid Cooper, Zeke, Lawrence, and Dak, Cooper would still be with the team today. I am sure of it. So while Jerry blames Cooper, it is really Jerry deflecting blame from himself.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The C-boys tend to hide the minus aspects of their guys, in favor of selling positive hype instead. Maybe it's catching up with them! :grin:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep, could believe anyone got the curse while the playoffs were being played. wow, that's the cure.

Reactions: CWR