I Just don’t get the sudden Cooper Disappointment

kskboys

Reaction score
True, my mistake about the draft picks, but still a 5th for Cooper is a dab deal for Dallas. They were not forced to trade him. They always had the option to say no to any trade offers. In this case, they should have said no.

Cooper's contract is a bogus argument. The Browns are not taking his pro-rated bonus on so his CAP starts at $20 million and can be restructured down as aggressively as the Browns want to do it. They could cut his CAP hit some and still get rid of him in 2023 if his performance does not match his contract while till getting a CAP save on his original CAP hit. Maybe they are worried he will disappear in big games like he did for Dallas. Maybe that's why only Dallas was willing to give up a 1st round pick for him in 2018.

Maybe our disappointment as fans is about the entire Cooper fiasco from the day Jerry gave up a 1st round pick for him.
No, we couldn't have said no. No matter what the Jones cult would have you believe, the salary cap is real. We desperately needed to dump salaries.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if jerry had an NBA team with Jordan on it and we keep the ball away from him, jerry would be disappointed in his effort. run the plays harder, you don't need the ball. lmao.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Yes, 19 haas some of the sickest routes in the game. No doubt. The guy disappears when it’s crunch time and his attitude sucks. He is a “me first” instead of a team guy. The FO found that out too late in the game or thought he would change with the contract. Well that didn’t happen and here we are. His production did not constitute $20,000,000 a year. Sorry.

Good chess player, not a game changing WR. And definitely would not put it all on the line for his teammates.

Best of luck in Cleveland.
Lies and rumors of lies believed by the Kool Aid drinking Arlington Jonesboys fans.

You had a losing record in 2018 until Amari Cooper made Dak Prescott a QB again. Dak Prescott has 19 catches 235 yards, 2 TDs in 2 Arlington Jonesboys playoff games, he went to the Pro Bowl in 2019 without Dak Prescott as his QB catching balls from Dinucci, Gilbert, and Dalton, leading WR in games versus Tampa, Minnesota, Philly, Washington, and each playoff game. So disappears when its crunch time is a factual. Your most successful player since 2018 has been Amari Cooper.

You are following a team that owner is GM and defacto Head Coach and has had the lowest payroll in the NFL over the last 10 years. The Arlington Jonesboys are about winning yachts and billionaire buses for the Jones family. This team will never do anything than what it has done the last 26 years because they are the Arlington Jonesboys....America's Team.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, 19 haas some of the sickest routes in the game. No doubt. The guy disappears when it’s crunch time and his attitude sucks. He is a “me first” instead of a team guy. The FO found that out too late in the game or thought he would change with the contract. Well that didn’t happen and here we are. His production did not constitute $20,000,000 a year. Sorry.

Good chess player, not a game changing WR. And definitely would not put it all on the line for his teammates.

For most fans, I don't think it was sudden. Wasn't great for Raiders, we gave up too much, and then paid him too much.

kskboys

Reaction score
My thoughts as well. He never struck me as a me first kind of guy. He's quiet, goes about his business, and really doesn't complain much at all. We never saw AC causing drama with the media or getting into screaming matches on the sideline. If DAK couldn't handle the little heat AC did apply, he doesn't deserve to lead this team. We just saw this team misuse their Ace on offense and cut him as a scapegoat. Getting harder and harder to accept what this FO is doing. JJ and SJ need to hire a GM and disappear on their giant yacht asap.
Gawd, you guys need a brick upside the head. Salary dump. And blatantly obvious.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the disappointment is not at Cooper being traded. It is the compensation we got in return. We gave up a 1st round pick for him and got a 5th in return. And I expect the Browns will be in or near the playoffs so it is not going to be a high 5th round pick either. I would not have traded him for less than a 2nd. I don't care that other teams are scared by his contract. After acquiring him they are free to restructure his deal and reduce his CAP. He is young and still has 3 years on his deal. People keep telling me what a great player Cooper is. If so, why just a 5th round pick?

The Borwn don't have to worry about Cooper's bonus so he costs them only $20 million a year. Hand him a restructure bonus of $12 million and his CAP number goes down to $13 million in 2022.If he doesn't perform, the Browns can cut him in 2023 and still get a $10 million CAP save on his pre-restructure CAP number. This is what Dallas could have done but clearly their CAP situation pushed them into a bad trade.
If Cooper were as great as fans here seem to believe, teams would have been falling all over themselves to get him, even w/ that salary. What you have is a low end #1 WR who is overpaid and has constant nagging injury issues.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I figured by now most the vax crowd would've woken up to the fact it's not everything it's been sold as. Coop not wanting that crap in his body doesn't make him selfish. If you didn't see what a con the NFL policy was, you must not have been paying attention to the playoffs. Clueless.

The vaxxed people look like cowards and fools and are now exposed as such.
That is why they bark so loudly and place blame and hate upon those who
simply didn't agree with the ridiculous policy. They didn't have the courage
to do so themselves.

Which is most likely the only reason for the Amari Cooper-bashing.

To spew such vitriol towards an athlete for making a personal decision
is totally insane.

CWR

Reaction score
He was all about him. His attitude and demeanor. His decisions. His heart was not 100%about the team.

You might be right, but I don't want to confuse a quiet and reserved personality with that of being selfish.

I do remember watching clips of him teaching CD and helping him to be better. Up until last season he was never vocal about getting the ball. I think he got really frustrated because the offense was struggling and he wasn't getting the opportunity to help. You could argue that is something a team player does. When he got loudest vs Washington it clearly paid off. Then KM and Dak went right back to making him an after thought.

I've heard people mention his blocking effort and lazy routes vs 9ers in particular. I haven't seen it, but wasn't looking for it either.

I dont believe he was a perfect WR, and I don't think it was a good contract, but until last year went to crap on offense he was an 1100 and 6 guy. I wouldn't categorize that as underperforming.

I personally liked Coop and how he handled himself the majority of his time here. Dude struck me as a class act. As always though, we are on the outside looking in.

basel90

Reaction score
It’s a stupid narrative spewed by an inept front office. Cooper is clearly the best WR on this roster.
not really . Cee dee if given the ball more is much more effective , consistent , and faster. HE also blocks . Amari is inconsistent and lazy on many blocking duties. In football if you don't block you are not effective.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Gawd, you guys need a brick upside the head. Salary dump. And blatantly obvious.
Nah I just watched the offense fall apart the last couple of years with 19 out of the lineup and have doubts that the team can compete without him. Lawrence was a better cut candidate but what do I know? Grab a brick, you're welcome to try.

Reactions: CWR

Adreme

Reaction score
I think the disappointment is not at Cooper being traded. It is the compensation we got in return. We gave up a 1st round pick for him and got a 5th in return. And I expect the Browns will be in or near the playoffs so it is not going to be a high 5th round pick either. I would not have traded him for less than a 2nd. I don't care that other teams are scared by his contract. After acquiring him they are free to restructure his deal and reduce his CAP. He is young and still has 3 years on his deal. People keep telling me what a great player Cooper is. If so, why just a 5th round pick?

The Borwn don't have to worry about Cooper's bonus so he costs them only $20 million a year. Hand him a restructure bonus of $12 million and his CAP number goes down to $13 million in 2022.If he doesn't perform, the Browns can cut him in 2023 and still get a $10 million CAP save on his pre-restructure CAP number. This is what Dallas could have done but clearly their CAP situation pushed them into a bad trade.

The AFC North has the Bengals and Ravens who are both better. The broader AFC has Bills, Titans, Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, and Patriots who are all going to be far better teams and if Miami takes a step forward they will be as well. Cleveland is not going to come close to the playoffs. They might be a good NFC team but they are a 4th tier AFC team.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Give us a bit more credit. First, he was not worth a 1st round pick when they traded for him. My understanding is no other team offered that much. Just because Jerry was willing to give up a 1 for him does not mean he was worth it. This is the same logic that drafting a player in the first round make him a 1st round value.

But I get he is now $20 million per year and he does not play to that level. But who gave him $20 million? The Cowboys. He was never worth that amount either. And now, they had to trade him because they overpaid him. He is only worth a 5th round pick because Jerry criticized him after the season. Then let is out that they were going to cut him if they couldn't trade him. Everything Jerry has done since the season ended has lowered Cooper's value in a trade.

So, let's sum it up. Give up a 1st round pick when no one else would, then sign him to a new contract you knew you could not afford in 2 years, pay him more than he was ever worth, then trade him because overpaying him forced your to, then get 5th round pick because you lowered his value with your actions and by overpaying him = disappointment. I think we understand just fine.

If the Cowboys were not up against the CAP because Jerry overpaid Cooper, Zeke, Lawrence, and Dak, Cooper would still be with the team today. I am sure of it. So while Jerry blames Cooper, it is really Jerry deflecting blame from himself.
So if he wasn't worth a 1st then, then the variance between what we gave up and what just got back are even closer and less arguable that we should have gotten much more than a 5th

Again, it had nothing to do with giving him a contract they couldn't afford in 2 years. The plan all along was to cut him after this year and that's what they were going to do but instead got a little bit back for him in a trade. The structure was actually good because we got out with almost no dead money. And I'm not sure $20 million is that much more than he was worth because Cle just traded for him with that price tag. On your point of telling everyone they were going to cut him or trade him I agree. The Jones boys are morons and immediately did the same thing with Collins. But, that doesn't mean we were going to get more than a 5th for him...

Steve007

Reaction score

Maybe because the QB disappears in crunch time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nah I just watched the offense fall apart the last couple of years with 19 out of the lineup and have doubts that the team can compete without him. Lawrence was a better cut candidate but what do I know? Grab a brick, you're welcome to try.
No try to it, sonny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, ya. You said I need a brick upside my head. Not my preference. Sounds pretty terrible tbh.
Just chain yankin'!!!! My shoulder was shot years ago!!! IF I managed to toss a brick your way, you'd have time for coffee n doughnuts fore' it got there!!!!!!!

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Just chain yankin'!!!! My shoulder was shot years ago!!! IF I managed to toss a brick your way, you'd have time for coffee n doughnuts fore' it got there!!!!!!!
Ah hell who doesn't love donuts? Feel your pain. Shoulder has been acting up for awhile. Do my best not to push it too hard. Otherwise I'm plenty nimble as long as my back functions properly. Hit or miss.

plasticman

Reaction score
Could you really play for a team whose owner tells the world it was your fault?