I like the coaches & players

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The whole entity is so, completely FUBAR'd........I'm unsure of what not to like.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your last sentence, but if you mean you'd rather lose definitively than lose close games and just make the playoffs, there are a lot of people here who'd agree with that. But I think most of them want that because they think the FO is gonna come away from the draft with a brand spankin' new first round QB.

Aside from the draft pick issue, many Garrett seasons they "seemed" to only need to solve a couple of position issues in the off-season.
- The close losses didn't cause any radical changes for the next season.

Turmoil forces everything to be considered with regards to changes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm one who's okay with losing out for a high 1st round pick. But, I don't want a QB. Just pay Dak. I went back and forth on this and I think he should be paid. I would like Penei Sewell, Patrick Surtain Jr., or Micah Parsons. I'll be happy with either those three.
Teams with top 5 picks that don't draft a QB have more success than team's that drafted a QB, on average.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They really don’t. If you watch the game day threads they’re constantly typing posts. How can they be watching? They can’t. They’re only listening and so whatever the announcers say, they take as gospel. Then whatever others on the game day thread say they take as gospel because they have no clue. Eventually it delves into total BS
Good point.

I've wondered how/why people post during the game.

I'm focused on watching the game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is no way to make sense of this season.

Covid with new coaching staff.

Extreme injury issues.

Some of the coaching staff did not even know each other prior to being hired. A new HC can only hire coaches that are available.

Garrett would have just had Zeke ram into the Washington DL all game long despite their DL being one of the best.

Turmoil this season is better than the Garrett MO of close losses and 8-8 or 9-7 seasons with no real chance of true playoff success.

8-8 or 9-7 is the best we will get under Mike McCarthy and Dak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the worst defenses in the history of the league, and a stale offense to go with it. What's not to love?
How was the offense stale with Dak at QB?

They were leading the league in total yards and passing yards.

They were 2nd in point scored.

The 2nd place team passing yards was 300 yards behind the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would Landry’s offense have been as bad as Shula’s was that first year of Jimmy Johnson time?
The late eighties offensive before 1989 was OC Paul Hackett's offense. Landry was completely out of the offensive at that point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think there's a lot to like about the Cowboys on paper.
Starting with Dak Prescott.
If you have a top 5 QB you can win a lot of games most seasons.

There will be very tough discussions on:
Tyron Smith
Jaylon Smith
Zeke Elliott

Those guys were in your top 5 players 2 years ago.
Now you gotta ask can they dot he job you need next year?

I have played both 4-3 and 3-4. I loved the 3-4 but it doesn't make any sense to play 3-4 unless you have elite OLB. Demarcus Ware/TJ Watt? 3-4 me.
I'd probably look at the top 4-3 minds getting fired this year and try to steal one.
Mike Zimmer? Or maybe you do go multiple and you go get Matt Patricia.

Maybe you add Doug Marrone as your asst HC and OL Coach.

Coaching staff I'd tweak now with another years worth of guys to go after.

But there is a lot of meat left on this Cowboys bone. Coaching and Player-wise.
And no matter where they finish record-wise they will have a lot of ammo given the supp picks they already own.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm one who's okay with losing out for a high 1st round pick. But, I don't want a QB. Just pay Dak. I went back and forth on this and I think he should be paid. I would like Penei Sewell, Patrick Surtain Jr., or Micah Parsons. I'll be happy with either those three.
I'm very out on Parsons. Combine character stuff, position and sitting out all year and I'd pass.
Sewell is great but you may take a step back for a year or so at LT while he develops. OR you play him at OG out of position.
Surtain is a great option but there are about 3 CB I think would be the Cowboys top CB if drafted: Shaun Wade, Surtain jr and Caleb Fairley.
Dallas should come away with one of those guys for sure.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there's a lot to like about the Cowboys on paper.
Starting with Dak Prescott.
If you have a top 5 QB you can win a lot of games most seasons.

There will be very tough discussions on:
Tyron Smith
Jaylon Smith
Zeke Elliott

Those guys were in your top 5 players 2 years ago.
Now you gotta ask can they dot he job you need next year?

I have played both 4-3 and 3-4. I loved the 3-4 but it doesn't make any sense to play 3-4 unless you have elite OLB. Demarcus Ware/TJ Watt? 3-4 me.
I'd probably look at the top 4-3 minds getting fired this year and try to steal one.
Mike Zimmer? Or maybe you do go multiple and you go get Matt Patricia.

Maybe you add Doug Marrone as your asst HC and OL Coach.

Coaching staff I'd tweak now with another years worth of guys to go after.

But there is a lot of meat left on this Cowboys bone. Coaching and Player-wise.
And no matter where they finish record-wise they will have a lot of ammo given the supp picks they already own.

Good post.

Jaylon is the only one that I would cut for 2021.

Zeke is not earning his pay, but he is not a terrible player (unless he keep fumbling).

Doctors recommend the neck/back surgery for Tyron about 3 or 4 years ago but either he or the Cowboys decided not to have it done.

Some players to have excellent results after back surgery.

The key with Tyron is to make certain that they have legit backup options.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't really like anything about the team right now other than the way they drafted this past draft. The coaches did not change the culture, bring accountability to the players, or have them ready to play. Jerry is still praising the two biggest thieves of his money. The players still don't seem to care about anything escept their paycheck. There are a few exceptions among the players but not enough to make a difference until a coaching staff that has a clue can get rid of the problems and actually change the culture.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really like anything about the team right now other than the way they drafted this past draft. The coaches did not change the culture, bring accountability to the players, or have them ready to play. Jerry is still praising the two biggest thieves of his money. The players still don't seem to care about anything escept their paycheck. There are a few exceptions among the players but not enough to make a difference until a coaching staff that has a clue can get rid of the problems and actually change the culture.

There is a reason the phrase "Monday Morning QB" has become an common axiom.

Fans love to overreact.

817Gill

Reaction score
You can join me and @817Gill in the "trade down from three" clubhouse. Get a high pick and trade down for an extra high #2 pick. Take Surtain or Parsons with the #1 and then a Safety and DT with the 2nd round picks. Sign a veteran Safety FA for good measure and your defense is set.
Currently recruiting members to #TDFT! Come join the losing-winning team!

MikeB80

Reaction score
one of the great things about xwalker is how humble he is.