I must say, Sorry for another D. Murray thread

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Murray look fine Monday when they gave him his +20 carries and killed the rb by committee bs.

Agreed he did. However, it was mop up duty in a blow out and the Giants D was gassed. But that is certainly a better way to use Murray. He should be getting a minimum of 20 carries per game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line is that it was Murray that was greedy and chose the money over the Cowboys. If he had accepted 3 years for 5 million per season this would all be fine. He wanted to get over paid with a huge contract. Cant blame him, but dont blame the Cowboys. They did the prudent, smart thing.
In my opinion, Murray was never going to accept those terms. LeSean McCoy played in the same division. Murray saw what McCoy was getting paid and he wanted the same type of compensation.

At the same time, the team was never going to offer a McCoy-like contract to Murray. Additionally, the team refused to franchise Murray. The team hoped Murray would settle for its offer.

Consideration point: Philadelphia traded McCoy to Buffalo nearly a week before free agency began. The action created a situation where a team was willing to offer a huge running back contract.

Another consideration point: the draft is a crapshoot. I think it's highly unlikely the team devoted serious strategy to landing a running back projected outside the first two rounds. Instead, their backup strategy for securing the running back position was primarily aimed at free agency.

Final consideration point: other teams, including Jacksonville, had rumored interest in signing Murray.

Free agency began March 10. The team wasn't going to budge from its top offer for Murray. Murray thought he had or would have options to sign a contract more to his choosing elsewhere.

Here's my question for the thread: Which running backs were available on March 10 who could have been signed by the team and helped the offense's rushing attack better than Randle or McFadden? I ask this question because I believe the contract negotiations between the team and Murray were doomed before they started. It doesn't help matters that the team did not seek a free agency solution until after Murray signed with the Eagles on March 12.

risco

Reaction score
Again, I dont agree on that . Murray is a good back, but can be replaced for much cheaper. Wait till you see what defense is going to be capable of in the next few games and you may change your mind on that Murray money.

I'm hoping that the defense will carry us for a few games now that we are starting to get a few players back.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[quote="superonyx, post: 6350910, member: 773" But you don't put up the numbers he did over the last several years if he wasn't an elite back.[/quote]

Right.

What makes him elite?

His speed? His power? His vision? His elusiveness? No, no, no and no. He is a very good back and nothing more.

superonyx

Reaction score
[quote="superonyx, post: 6350910, member: 773" But you don't put up the numbers he did over the last several years if he wasn't an elite back.

Right.

What makes him elite?

His speed? His power? His vision? His elusiveness? No, no, no and no. He is a very good back and nothing more.[/quote]

Now you are just trying to win an argument with points I doubt you believe.
Murray is a top 5 back in the league. "Elite" is subjective. Who in the league would you rate above Murray today? He is not Adrian Peterson but he is good enough that he deserves to be paid in the top 5 at his position. Does Murray not deserve to be paid at Shady Mccoys level? Or Matt Forte or Jonathan Stewart? Arian Foster? These are the players paid his salary. He is better than all of them.

This isn't Madden. Players are not judged based on the ratings you mentioned. It's the combination that makes Murray good.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now you are just trying to win an argument with points I doubt you believe.
Murray is a top 5 back in the league.

I don't know if he is or isn't but in either case, he still isn't elite. The points I made are spot on and and shared by most who follow football. They aren't some wild and crazy notions I just brewed up for that post. We spent months beating that subject up during the off season and the conclusion was always the same - not elite.

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't know if he is or isn't but in either case, he still isn't elite. The points I made are spot on and and shared by most who follow football. They aren't some wild and crazy notions I just brewed up for that post. We spent months beating that subject up during the off season and the conclusion was always the same - not elite.

That's why I didn't say he should be paid 11-12m per season like Lynch or Peterson get.

It's not just a question of if he is Elite he should stay and if he isn't elite he should go.
There is the other category that you need to consider.
I can tell you prefer to avoid the second part of my point and answering the other questions.
So I will ask again.
Is Murray on the Foster, McCoy level? The 2nd tier of talent in the league just below your "elite" category.

Btw...the same people that validated this notion for months during the offseason are the same people who yelled "anyone can run behind this line"...so I will opt for some original thinking on this one.

silver

Reaction score
They had already drafted Randle. We drafted Green to replace Free. That is the way it works.

it doesnt work when the replacements are considerably lesser in talent. Green might eventually develop into a serviceable tackle but his injury history says otherwise. Randle is just not very good, and I doubt we ever develop into more than a backup which he was with Murray on board. I dont know what the plan was regarding the RB position in the offseason but to avoid drafting a replacement and signing a washed up McFadden must have been plan C or D. Plan A, B & C must have been resigning Murray, trading for Peterson and drafting Gurley. We totally miscalculated the odds of those plans to happen.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
murray may not be elite but the boys sure are losing steadly without him so I think he had more to do with there success than romo or the offensive line I think they are overated I think several other teams have better line including packers who I think has the best line in football along with the best qb and top defense.