I swear some fans will never get it

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Eventually the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy.

Nothing matters.

Flamma

Reaction score
I truly think we are headed for Campo-Era times after this. If the Green Bay game was a reflection of our true team, and Jerry is wheeling back the same team...we might not win 5 games. If something happened and the locker room turned toxic...and Jerry is wheeling back the same team, we might not win 5 games. And I mean...we're wheeling back the same team, plus one or two bargain bin players.
I'm thinking it might carry over into next season. That's what I was worried about happening. But like someone else mentioned, I'd rather be 5-12 over being like that Vikings team 2 years ago, 13-3 and not very good.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hire this coach! Draft this player! Sign this free agent!

It doesn't matter.

Every player and coach who have passed through this organization for the last 28 years, most of whom you now hate because they failed to achieve the ultimate goal, were hired/signed by the general manager (Jerry) and director of player personnel (Stephen).

And guess what, they will hire/sign the next ones, too. Why? Because they gave themselves jobs-for-life.

Blame Dak like you blamed Romo, then blame the next QB. Blame Garrett and McCarthy, whatever you need to do. They're all symptoms of the disease.

As long as the cancer calls the shots, it doesn't matter.

Be glad for a 12 win season and an occasional wild card win, because that's as good as it gets. They have shown us their ceiling. How many decades does it take?
That's all true but that is exactly why I wanted quinn to take over the team.. I know I'll get a lot of grief for this. But Quinn's defense was absolutely loyal to Quinn. They love the guy they play hard for him.
They play Up to their talent level, whatever that may be . Look at Lawrence. Parsons plays out of position to help the TEAM.
I also believe the fact that Quinn was leaving permeated the entire defense the last couple weeks and disrupted everything.
I believe that loyalty would have spread to the whole team and they would have performed 4 Dan, despite of Jerry.
Now we'll never know, but I promise you, we will see a drop off in the defense this year.
Getting players to leave at all on the field. Is the toughest challenge for a coach in today's NFL. Getting them to focus beyond Jerry is the other key, and I think we could accomplished both of those next season, oh well.

Back to Jerry ball.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Ultimately what is the difference? I think it is probably more embarrassing to go 12-5 and lose the way the team did. For me it is worse than going 5-12. If you go 12-5, you just expect better. I am not sure what is worse. I know people think it is awesome to be 12-5 but I don't like Fools Gold or frozen pizza....
The let down is certainly worse in a year like this where finally it looked like they could at least make it to the CTG. At least with 5-11 there's no major let down at the end of the year and you get a good draft pick.

Of course, the OP is right, though. It won't matter what coaches or players you bring in, and it even won't matter at this point if Jerry fired himself. The aura surrounding the franchise is far too great for human beings to overcome. It's just too big. Too much pressure.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
All this pressure. I wonder how Tom Landry and Tex Schramm managed to win here? Oh I know they actually worked for an owner who didn't want to be in the spotlight....that only cared about winning. Clint Murchison was the best owner the Cowboys ever had. Wish we could go back to someone like him.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I truly think we are headed for Campo-Era times after this. If the Green Bay game was a reflection of our true team, and Jerry is wheeling back the same team...we might not win 5 games. If something happened and the locker room turned toxic...and Jerry is wheeling back the same team, we might not win 5 games. And I mean...we're wheeling back the same team, plus one or two bargain bin players.
What. Lol.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

It doesn't matter.

Every player and coach who have passed through this organization for the last 28 years, most of whom you now hate because they failed to achieve the ultimate goal, were hired/signed by the general manager (Jerry) and director of player personnel (Stephen).

And guess what, they will hire/sign the next ones, too. Why? Because they gave themselves jobs-for-life.

Blame Dak like you blamed Romo, then blame the next QB. Blame Garrett and McCarthy, whatever you need to do. They're all symptoms of the disease.

Be glad for a 12 win season and an occasional wild card win, because that's as good as it gets. They have shown us their ceiling. How many decades does it take?
ok but tell us what's the problem with them then as you see it

FoxF

Reaction score
Agreed, organizations are ran from the top and it filters down and impacts everything from policies, workout environment to culture. Etc…

Where other organizations fire the coach and often the GM, we can only fire the coach or make changes to player personnel. So, we have no accountability for the GM position in the Cowboy organization.

Thus, we come to the conclusion that we are doomed with the Joneses in charge, given the root of the problem cannot be resolved. Some would say, possibly getting worse when Stephen takes over. Faced with this reality, many choose to focus on the coaches and players as a source of change.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It doesn't matter.

Totally agree, we must like to be tortured why are we here. I just can’t see what other franchise I could actually follow. There’s too much history with the Cowboys and me.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The bottom line is easy: not one NFL team outside of Dallas would hire Jerry as GM or Stephen as Director of Player Personnel.

They've won 4 wild card games in 28 years. They'd have been fired a couple decades ago.

But I'm sure they'll figure it out this offseason. :rolleyes:

And how many would hire will mcclay who has basically led the draft for the last half decade and had a huge voice the last decade plus?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
it's how he wastes money too
Absolutely, he likes spending it and he needs it to keep coming in. We are so screwed with Prescott’s contract. And I don’t really think he’s the issue but the contract is. The Jones family really screwed themselves. Prescott was brilliant in negotiations. There is so much dead money. If they release him they have no choice, but leave him at quarterback and if they re-sign him it’s another six years of it. So, even if we wanted to change quarterbacks, the rest of the team will suffer. Or maybe it would be a wash if you really think about it. A rookie quarterback, making not much money while still paying Prescott huge salary.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
So you're telling everyone to settle for mediocrity because of Jerry..... be happy they will never compete for more than regular season glory.

Sounds like a sound plan for losers.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
So you're telling everyone to settle for mediocrity because of Jerry..... be happy they will never compete for more than regular season glory.

Sounds like a sound plan for losers.
They are losers and so are we for following them.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

It doesn't matter.

I don't think you'll find many fans out there that don't realize that Jerry and Family are the biggest problem. However, short of some PR disaster that embarrasses the Shield, they're not going anywhere. So all you can really do is hope they will make changes to the roster and coaching that will somehow catch fire. They have actually assembled a pretty solid roster. Yeah they need a thumper LB and some more up front on the D, but this was a roster that should have been able to go further than they did. They should have gone further the last 2 years as well. The one common denominator remaining outside of ownership is Dak.

Flamma

Reaction score

It doesn't matter.

I think you bring up a point a lot of people don't consider. You bring up the only constant. As opposed to teams that can change GMs. The Lions are a perfect example of what can happen if you have flexibility.

If you have bad management, you're going to continue to get bad results. But if you can replace management, just dumb luck can move you in a positive direction. Look at the Lions. They're probably going to go to the NFCCG. Something the Cowboys can't do despite having more regular season success.