I think Choice and Barber are both out of here

Nirvana

Reaction score
I just listened to Jerry talking about the DeMarco Murray pick at the cowboys website and picked up on a couple of key points:

1) When asked about him playing special teams, Jerry said DeMarco could possibly return punts, even though he didn't do this at Oklahoma. He said that DeMarco has done some punt returns and could possibly do it. (IE. special teams was not a consideration in drafting him - meaning he is not slated as the #3 back.)

2) Jerry said they almost took a RB in the second round (probably Vereen who went to the Pats later in the round.) This again emphasizes that they were not looking for a #3 back.

Some other points to consider:

3) Rumors that Barber is out have been circulating for some time. The $ reasons alone merit this is the case, not to mention his drop-off in play.

4) Choice is not a guy that Garrett would want on the team, with his class clown style. Not good on special teams either, so they are not getting what they want out of a #3 back role.

Felix and DeMarco will compete for the starting job in camp. And the battle for #3 will come down to who can have the biggest role on special teams. Barber and Choice will be released; possibly somebody who would trade a 5th or 6th for Choice, but I don't think so.

Woods

Reaction score
I think they like L Miller (he's on the PS) as well.

Not sure how ready he is, however.

visionary

Reaction score
Nirvana;3936333 said:
I just listened to Jerry talking about the DeMarco Murray pick at the cowboys website and picked up on a couple of key points:

1) When asked about him playing special teams, Jerry said DeMarco could possibly return punts, even though he didn't do this at Oklahoma. He said that DeMarco has done some punt returns and could possibly do it. (IE. special teams was not a consideration in drafting him - meaning he is not slated as the #3 back.)

2) Jerry said they almost took a RB in the second round (probably Vereen who went to the Pats later in the round.) This again emphasizes that they were not looking for a #3 back.

3) Rumors that Barber is out have been circulating for some time. The $ reasons alone merit this is the case, not to mention his drop-off in play.

4) Choice is not a guy that Garrett would want on the team, with his class clown style. Not good on special teams either, so they are not getting what they want out of a #3 back role.

Felix and DeMarco will compete for the starting job in camp. And the battle for #3 will come down to who can have the biggest role on special teams. Barber and Choice will be released; possibly somebody who would trade a 5th or 6th for Choice, but I don't think so.

i agree
that is what seems to me as well

clutch88

Benched
Reaction score
Nirvana;3936333 said:

I think choice has trade value because he has proven to be an above average RB.

rynochop

Reaction score
Barber is one my favorite Cowboys, a pro's pro. Never complained about his role when he should have been starting over Julius, slapped hands with him coming off the field, etc. I'd make a bad GM cause i would have a soft spot with these type players and want to keep them, but his time has come unfortunately.

Choice I dont trust, never been enamored with his play, and he fumbles too much, will never get over the week one fumble to the Skins, even though he should have never had the ball

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nirvana;3936333 said:
Ryan Williams was a target in round 2. He went right before we could take him.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I dont see Choice being released, that would surprise me big time. If we was traded for good value fine but I find it weird that he has seemed to fallen out of favor with Jerry and coaches because he has proven himself on more than one occasion.

Woods

Reaction score
Hostile;3936350 said:
Ryan Williams was a target in round 2. He went right before we could take him.

I think it turned out well for the Cowboys because JJ mentioned they had Murray as a 2nd rounder but they still fortunately got him in the 3rd. I'm not sure B Carter would have slipped that far.

Interestingly, I think the Pats also drafted Ridley from LSU a couple of spots after Murray in Round 3. Wonder if they had interest in Murray?

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Unless Jones, Miller, or Murray get hurt in the offseason/preseason (assuming there is one), I gotta believe both Barber and Choice will be voted off of the island.

Donny Phoenix

Reaction score
Woods;3936334 said:
I think they like L Miller (he's on the PS) as well.

Not sure how ready he is, however.

Can someone tell me what the fascination with Lonyae Miller is? This is his, what, 3rd yr on the practice squad. On talent and skill alone, why would we keep him above Choice?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Release Choise, who is just 26 in his 4th year. For a rookie who hasn't even proven one thing yet. Wow. I'd rather wait and see in training camp and the preseason games how Murray does. I am sure SOME team would trade a 5th for Choise. Release him, nah.

Primetime42

Reaction score
I see Choice as trade bait as well.

I also see him slamming the head coach and QB on the way out, sadly.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
My sources tell me that the team doesn't care for Choice's inability to pass block nor play special teams. He will not likely make the roster in 2012.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Tashard Choice ran for a whopping 243 yards last year - all season. That was on 66 carries averaging 3.7 yards a carry.

Add to that this comment made by Jerry on Nov 30:

""First of all, Tashard needs to be a better special teams player," Jones said on his twice-a-week radio show on KRLD-FM. "Your third back has to be a real contributor on special teams and he’s not. That really handicaps him."

Do the math.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Nirvana;3936333 said:

very good pts, i believe you are onto something

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Corleone;3936354 said:
I dont see Choice being released, that would surprise me big time. If we was traded for good value fine but I find it weird that he has seemed to fallen out of favor with Jerry and coaches because he has proven himself on more than one occasion.

jobberone;3936382 said:
I'm not convinced Choice is gone.

PJTHEDOORS;3936395 said:
Release Choise, who is just 26 in his 4th year. For a rookie who hasn't even proven one thing yet. Wow. I'd rather wait and see in training camp and the preseason games how Murray does. I am sure SOME team would trade a 5th for Choise. Release him, nah.

Choice and Barber both proved to be expendable last year. Backup running backs are a dime a dozen. The fullback was drafted to help with blocking (i.e. exit Barber, and his only remaining strength). Choice didn't play special teams, most likely by his own choice (no pun intended). That means they had to make roster decisions that they likely didn't want to make because of special teams.

I think both are gone this offseason.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Choice was not a bad pass blocker at all. The thing with special teams might be the major thing; but more likely it is something personal between Red Ball and Choice. Red Ball just does not seem to like him at all.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
rynochop;3936347 said:
Barber is one my favorite Cowboys, a pro's pro. Never complained about his role when he should have been starting over Julius, slapped hands with him coming off the field, etc. I'd make a bad GM cause i would have a soft spot with these type players and want to keep them, but his time has come unfortunately.

Choice I dont trust, never been enamored with his play, and he fumbles too much, will never get over the week one fumble to the Skins, even though he should have never had the ball

Pretty ignorant statement.

That fumble against the Skins was his first career fumble.

Over 3 seasons:

222 carries, 1064 yards, 8 tds, 4.8 ypc 1 fumble.

He has trade value, and some team will be happy to have him. For whatever reason it's not us. But he will goto somebody and make plays for them. Those are great numbers for a backup rb.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nirvana;3936333 said:
I think Choice and Barber are both out of here

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Been preaching that since the Murray pick. RB was a need. Most just didn't see it or want to admit it.