I think Choice and Barber are both out of here

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
I hope they keep Choice. Felix is hurt alot and this Murray kid had a major knee problem. I don't care what they do with Barber. They should not have signed him to that huge contract.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Nirvana;3936412 said:
Tashard Choice ran for a whopping 243 yards last year - all season. That was on 66 carries averaging 3.7 yards a carry.

Add to that this comment made by Jerry on Nov 30:

""First of all, Tashard needs to be a better special teams player," Jones said on his twice-a-week radio show on KRLD-FM. "Your third back has to be a real contributor on special teams and he’s not. That really handicaps him."

Do the math.

I think thats a little unfair, he averages 4.8 ypc for his career.

He has never had under 5 ypc until last season. We all know that our line was really bad last year, Felix dropped from 5.9 to a 4.3 so 1.7 yard difference and Barber dropped a full ypc from the year before as well. Not a coincidence that all 3 backs dropped over 1YPC from the previous year. You guys expect a lot from a 3rd rb. He has more career tds(8) then Felix (7)who was a first round pick.

And thats not at all to say I'd rather have him over Felix. I'm just saying the reason is obviously our Oline, not the back.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Interesting points.

With Barber, I get it. Hes gone.

Not so sure we dump Choice though.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Nirvana;3936333 said:
Felix and DeMarco will compete for the starting job in camp.
In 2010, Felix had the highest average yards per target of any running back in the league (8.7), and also led the entire NFL in catch rate (92.3%) and YAC per target (10.9, almost a full two yards ahead of the next guy). Felix was 5th in the league in total YAC, despite only playing half of his team's offensive snaps. He also ranked 5th in 10+ yard runs per carry.

If Murray can compete with that, we'll have the most explosive RB tandem in the league.

BHendri5

Reaction score
The only place Choice is going is to the number 1 RB spot on this team. Choice's pass blocking is good, he palyed in an NFL offense in college so he was already schooled in pass blocking.

Some of you trip me out with these ridiculous posts

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BHendri5;3936576 said:
The only place Choice is going is to the number 1 RB spot on this team. Choice's pass blocking is good, he palyed in an NFL offense in college so he was already schooled in pass blocking.

Some of you trip me out with these ridiculous posts
No it isn't. His blitz pick up is the number 1 reason why he is 3rd string.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;3936603 said:
No it isn't. His blitz pick up is the number 1 reason why he is 3rd string.

Yup. I think we are going to have the ruing to end all rues when he is shipped out. He will end up in Cincy averaging 70 ypg and losing 10+ and we will get to hear about it every day.

He does not do everything he can to make the team better. I want him gone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3936614 said:
Yup. I think we are going to have the ruing to end all rues when he is shipped out. He will end up in Cincy averaging 70 ypg and losing 10+ and we will get to hear about it every day.

He does not do everything he can to make the team better. I want him gone.
I'd gladly accept Noel Devine as the 3rd RB via UDFA and go this year with Felix, Murray, and Devine.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
percyhoward;3936511 said:
In 2010, Felix had the highest average yards per target of any running back in the league (8.7), and also led the entire NFL in catch rate (92.3%) and YAC per target (10.9, almost a full two yards ahead of the next guy). Felix was 5th in the league in total YAC, despite only playing half of his team's offensive snaps. He also ranked 5th in 10+ yard runs per carry.

If Murray can compete with that, we'll have the most explosive RB tandem in the league.

Interesting. I don't keep up with stats and all that but all I can remember thinking about Felix is that he should be so much better. I, to be honest, have up to this point thought we should be doing better at that position. Perhaps I misjudged his production..didn't watch close enough (last year was such a turn off to me I literally did turn off games and that's something I've not done in the past)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Nirvana;3936412 said:
Tashard Choice ran for a whopping 243 yards last year - all season. That was on 66 carries averaging 3.7 yards a carry.

Choice isn't a guy who's gonna come in and just break a long run on a few carries per game. I think he's a guy that needs to get going in a game and needs more than a few carries.

That average isn't anything pretty much he was pretty much sandbagged by having to take direct snaps in one the most ridiculously stupid formations that this team runs.

Add to that this comment made by Jerry on Nov 30:

""First of all, Tashard needs to be a better special teams player," Jones said on his twice-a-week radio show on KRLD-FM. "Your third back has to be a real contributor on special teams and he’s not. That really handicaps him."

Do the math.

IMO, him being the 3rd back is 100% bass-ackwards. But, because Barber probably couldn't do any better on special teams and the OL sucks so much they have to have 3/4ths of the offense blocking on any given play, Choice gets relegated to #3.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Choice being thrown out. I guess I really haven't heard any reason why he should be.

Sure, he has flaws in his game. He could be better in pass protection and on special teams if he really must play there. You'd think Jerry's Special Ed-Teams draft form 2009 would have given the team enough guys to fill those roles but I guess not.

The whole situation just sounds bogus. Because Choice has a couple of things he doesn't do well (Special Teams / Pass Protection), the team definitely won't let him get on the field to do the one thing he can do well?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Not when Barber does maybe 1 thing well but they put him out there to do all sorts of crap that he hasn't been able to do in about 2 years.

"Hey Tashard.......we've decided that you can't really block or play special teams so we're not going to give you a shot at running the ball even though you can do that. Instead, even though Barber can't play special teams either or get out of the backfield at this point we're going to give him all the carries you should get because he can block. Hope this isn't too confusing"

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Donny Phoenix;3936388 said:
Can someone tell me what the fascination with Lonyae Miller is? This is his, what, 3rd yr on the practice squad. On talent and skill alone, why would we keep him above Choice?

He was an undrafted free agent last year. We signed him to the practice squad, and then in December we brought him to the active roster.

This is what I got from CBSSports.

Latest News
04/13/2010 - TOP RATED NFL DRAFT SCOUT RUNNING BACKS: Lonyae Miller, Fresno State, 6-0, 221, 5: A low-mileage prospect who might have a lot of productivity to offer. Although Miller started 14 college games, his career average of 5.51 yards a carry ranked 13th among NCAA backs active last year. He arrived at Fresno State as a star high school recruit but never became a featured back in a system laden with talents such as Mathews. But scouts who study his games will see flashes of brilliance that make Miller intriguing, such as runs of 90 yards (vs. Idaho), 80 (vs. Hawaii), 72 (vs. Nevada) and 69 (vs. Colorado State). These bursts show he might be more than a tough, short-yardage back. He had the longest run in the Senior Bowl (18 yards) and finished with a game-high 44 rushing yards. His athleticism was validated at the combine, where his workouts included a 40 time of 4.43 seconds, a 10-foot broad jump and 26 repetitions with 225 pounds in the bench press. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com/CBS Sports/USA TODAY

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This will not be popular. I'd rather keep Barber than Choice.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hostile;3936706 said:

I'd rather keep Barber's attitude but his play has just deteriorated so far that you're wasting a down by giving him carries.

What's the deal with Choice?

Why is he on the way out?

Nirvana

Reaction score
Hostile;3936706 said:

Would you give Barber the ball on 4th and goal at the 1?

rags747

Reaction score
I too think we are better off keeping Barber. Choice to me seems like a lockeroom lawyer, picked up some bad TO traits and I think this is one of the reasons why Garrett has no use for him. Barber has always been a good teamate and I think he can still provide us more with Felix and Murray as the featured backs. Choice will just become more angry...try to recoup a 4th or 5th for him if possible.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Crayton showed a lot more than Choice ever has. The Cowboys got what, a 7th round draft choice for Crayton?

All this talk about Choice having trade value. A 7th round draft pick would be generous. A 6th would be a major coup....

rags747

Reaction score
You may be right although I think Gailey down in Buffalo would have some interest as he coached him in college.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nirvana;3936745 said:
Would you give Barber the ball on 4th and goal at the 1?
No, I'd throw it high to Bennett, Dez, or Roy personally.

More than anything I want to see us run fade routes with these sky scrapers.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3936738 said:
I'd rather keep Barber's attitude but his play has just deteriorated so far that you're wasting a down by giving him carries.

What's the deal with Choice?

Why is he on the way out?
I honestly do not know if he is or isn't on his way out. I know Jerry is exactly right in that our 3rd RB has to provide STs play to be truly valuable and I know his blitz pickup is sorely lacking. It could simply be that he needs to be someone else's primary back.