I think Dak's best comparison is Steve McNair

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
My best comparison for Dak is Russell Wilson. They both have many of the same tools and Russ has won a Super Bowl. It's just a matter of time for Dak & the Cowboys.
:thumbup::popcorn:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
McNair was the 3rd overall pick in his draft. He started 6 games in his first two seasons. He didn't start full time until his 3rd season but his season passer rating wasn't as good as Dak's 2nd season until his 9th.

McNair had his first 300 yard passing game in his 11th start.He had his 3nd in his 46th start. Dak has both after his 10th start. McNair was 18-16 his first 34 starts. Dak is 23-11.

There is not another quarterback in NFL history with a passer rating in the 95's in their first two combined seasons who started every game while throwing over 900 passes while scoring 12 TD's on the ground as he led his team to over 65% winning percentage........you wont find one as a top 5 draft pick like McNair and a host of other "blue chippers".

The closest comparison based on statistics and won-loss percentage is Russell Wilson.
and Dak has had great benefit of playing with probably one of the best OL's ever, specially in 2016, a top 4 RB at the time rated as probably the best player in the draft and couple of good WRs and a HOF TE. which rookie QB gets to play with that cast? when he didn't have all the support, it showed that he is average at best and can't lift the team around him, and he needs a very strong supporting cast to drive the bus per se. you are living off the fumes of his first year success, given the trend is been downward since.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He was a good NFL QB for a long time, but never a great one. I loved watching him play though - a tough guy who could take a hit, or run the ball for tough yards to get a 1st down.

McNair was “country strong”. Just like Dak is.

Reactions: CWR

sideon

Reaction score
McNair's a decent comp, but it's silly to compare passing yards from that era to this one. 200 yards in 1999 is a lot different than 200 yards today.

Dak's closest contemporary is still Cam.
He is nothing like Cam Newton:facepalm:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He is nothing like Cam Newton:facepalm:
As a person, no. As a player, they're almost exactly the same. They both have the exact same strengths and weaknesses, Cam just physically has more talent.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My best comparison for Dak is Russell Wilson. They both have many of the same tools and Russ has won a Super Bowl. It's just a matter of time for Dak & the Cowboys.

Dak wishes he could be anywhere near as good as Russell. Ridiculous

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They really aren't that similar in my mind. Their passing styles don't seem very similar at all, and while they both have running ability, Wilson is more of a shifty, cut on a dime runner, whereas Dak is more of a find the seam and go kind of runner.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
They really aren't that similar in my mind. Their passing styles don't seem very similar at all, and while they both have running ability, Wilson is more of a shifty, cut on a dime runner, whereas Dak is more of a find the seam and go kind of runner.
Fair.

But both are legit dual threat QBs that will win you games. One has obviously been doing it much longer than the other an amassed plenty of metal to prove himself while the other is just getting his feet wet. But I view them as similar from a macro level.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Watson is a 10 times better passer than McNair. Watson reminds me of Warren Moon/Steve Young.
Watson does remind me of Warren Moon too. Not sure if he’s that much better of a passer than McNair but honestly can’t remember.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Air McNair followed him in the NFL because it rhymed, not because he was a prolific NFL passer.

3,387 was the highest yardage total McNair ever had in the NFL, and while he threw for a lot of yards as a senior in college, he was not a pure pocket passer, and he ran for 900 yards that year as well. And remember, he played D-II football. And, like Dak, McNair had a running element to his game in the pros, without which his passing numbers would not have been enough to make him a viable NFL QB. The point I think some are trying to make, is that being both a runner and a passer is what it took for McNair to make it as an NFL player, and that is the kind of game it takes, and will take, for Dak to make it.
My statement had nothing to do with his NFL career.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My statement had nothing to do with his NFL career.

So, your comment that he could toss the pigskin only applied to his ability prior to the NFL? In any case, I quoted 2 posters, not just you, and I addressed his college career in my response as well.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
So, your comment that he could toss the pigskin only applied to his ability prior to the NFL? In any case, I quoted 2 posters, not just you, and I addressed his college career in my response as well.
No I even said in college.