I think Dak's best comparison is Steve McNair

Nashville_Cowboy

Reaction score
I watched McNair play for years here in Nashville and there isn't much comparison between McNair and Dak. Steve had a cannon for an arm which suited him well in the pass first offense @ Alcorn St. He was a more natural passer than Dak by far. I don't think NFL statistical comparisons that are 11+ years old (minimum) are that relevant either. I prefer the eye test and from my view - they aren't even on the same playing field.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak is Dak. I think he might always be limited as a passer, due to his inaccuracy and inconsistency. He may be able to improve to some extent with more help from a near-perfect OL but they are limited right now as well. He'll be tested further this year and beyond, no doubt. Let's see where time, further development and more experience takes him. He's simply an unfinished work in progress at this point in time. Right now, his future is undetermined.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
McNair was the 3rd overall pick in his draft. He started 6 games in his first two seasons. He didn't start full time until his 3rd season but his season passer rating wasn't as good as Dak's 2nd season until his 9th.

McNair had his first 300 yard passing game in his 11th start.He had his 3nd in his 46th start. Dak has both after his 10th start. McNair was 18-16 his first 34 starts. Dak is 23-11.

There is not another quarterback in NFL history with a passer rating in the 95's in their first two combined seasons who started every game while throwing over 900 passes while scoring 12 TD's on the ground as he led his team to over 65% winning percentage........you wont find one as a top 5 draft pick like McNair and a host of other "blue chippers".

The closest comparison based on statistics and won-loss percentage is Russell Wilson.

Ken

Reaction score
McNair was the 3rd overall pick in his draft. He started 6 games in his first two seasons. He didn't start full time until his 3rd season but his season passer rating wasn't as good as Dak's 2nd season until his 9th.

McNair had his first 300 yard passing game in his 11th start.He had his 3nd in his 46th start. Dak has both after his 10th start. McNair was 18-16 his first 34 starts. Dak is 23-11.

There is not another quarterback in NFL history with a passer rating in the 95's in their first two combined seasons who started every game while throwing over 900 passes while scoring 12 TD's on the ground as he led his team to over 65% winning percentage........you wont find one as a top 5 draft pick like McNair and a host of other "blue chippers".

The closest comparison based on statistics and won-loss percentage is Russell Wilson.
Great analysis..

Unfortunately, this isn't good enough for the stepford Cowboy fans on this site. He has to be better than Brady and Rodgers right now or he is garbage.

Johnny23

Reaction score
To be fair, McNair is a better comparison than Jerry's Cam-Newton-meets-Jared-Goff BS. :facepalm:
McNair's just a more talented passer than Dak though. His prime was wasted with Steve Fisher as his coach. His nickname was Air McNair yet they never gave him the weapons to display that playing for the Oilers/Titans.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Really hard to compare. Back when McNair came into the league a really good passing day was 350 yards and couple of touchdowns. It was not uncommon for even the prolific passers to have 20/30 250 yards and 2 TDs by todays standards those are pedestrian

His nickname though was "Air"
Thank you Air McNair could toss the pigskin and was a highly touted pocket passer in college.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Steve McNair had amazing arm talent. Dak isn't close in that department. They both play with fire and they can create once flushed out of pocket. I think Dak is still trying to define who he is so its really hard to come up with comparison at this point.
I think that's the thing people have fallen in love with. Dak can extend plays with his legs and he can run...he is athletic...but too me that's fools gold. that's a good college QB, not NFL. a QB in the NFL has to be able to pass from the pocket accurately and effectively. that's the most important aspect of a QB play. everything else is secondary.

Ken

Reaction score
Do you think? Air McNair? It's a terrible comparison. He had one of the best arms I've ever seen.
Terrible comparison?

They are practically the same player. McNair didn't have a great arm either, may want to go back and review that.

There are at least a dozen qbs in the league right now with better arms than him. The "Air" nickname wasn't because he was such an amazing passer, it was simply because it matched perfectly with his last name.

kskboys

Reaction score
Terrible comparison?

They are practically the same player. McNair didn't have a great arm either, may want to go back and review that.

There are at least a dozen qbs in the league right now with better arms than him. The "Air" nickname wasn't because he was such an amazing passer, it was simply because it matched perfectly with his last name.
Hero worship. Only thing I can think of.

No, Dak isn't as good as McNair yet, but that is who he plays like.

sbark

Reaction score
I think our expectations are too high for DAK right now.

His rookie season set a high bar.

What we are seeing is actually pretty normal in this league.

Somebody has success..

teams adjust..

then the team has to adjust to the adjustments.

I think DAK will be fine.

Luck enters the picture, too.

Let's hope he remains lucky.
Aaahhhh.....the adjustments, that is the problem. Romo did them on the go snap to snap

Garrett and Linehan over a several game stretch or worse yet, offseason only
NY worked hard on covering up Beaseley, team is gonna have to get a te involved....getting single coverage until proven in a game plan

kskboys

Reaction score
Terrible comparison?

I think the nickname came from putting up so many yards on that run and shoot variation O that Houston ran.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
McNair always put up numbers like 15-27 for a 170 yards and like 30-40 yards rushing. He had a prime Eddie George and Jamal Lewis with high quality olines with players such as Bruce Matthews, Joanthen Odgen etc. Similarly, to us with Zeke and our oline. The most tds McNair ever had in a season was 24. I think this is the best comparison you can make for Dak. He's not Mcnabb. He's not Russel Wilson. Etc. Opinions
Deshaun Watson reminds me more of McNair. Not necessarily from statistics, but from improvising on the field and his mechanics.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes and McNair with Dez and Witten throws for 4000 yards and is mvp last year if you drop him in in his prime and in 2016.

Thank you Air McNair could toss the pigskin and was a highly touted pocket passer in college.

Air McNair followed him in the NFL because it rhymed, not because he was a prolific NFL passer.

3,387 was the highest yardage total McNair ever had in the NFL, and while he threw for a lot of yards as a senior in college, he was not a pure pocket passer, and he ran for 900 yards that year as well. And remember, he played D-II football. And, like Dak, McNair had a running element to his game in the pros, without which his passing numbers would not have been enough to make him a viable NFL QB. The point I think some are trying to make, is that being both a runner and a passer is what it took for McNair to make it as an NFL player, and that is the kind of game it takes, and will take, for Dak to make it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Air McNair followed him in the NFL because it rhymed, not because he was a prolific NFL passer.

3,387 was the highest yardage total McNair ever had in the NFL, and while he threw for a lot of yards as a senior in college, he was not a pure pocket passer, and he ran for 900 yards that year as well. And remember, he played D-II football. And, like Dak, McNair had a running element to his game in the pros, without which his passing numbers would not have been enough to make him a viable NFL QB. The point I think some are trying to make, is that being both a runner and a passer is what it took for McNair to make it as an NFL player, and that is the kind of game it takes, and will take, for Dak to make it.
McNair was soso as a passer.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McNair was soso as a passer.

He was a good NFL QB for a long time, but never a great one. I loved watching him play though - a tough guy who could take a hit, or run the ball for tough yards to get a 1st down.