I think Dak's best comparison is Steve McNair

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where did that dominant O-line go from 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Martin G bought it with his 90 million.........:rolleyes:...Jerry is the only GM that pays massive Contracts to non playmakers like offlineman......Jerry you Car salesman you....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Except that Alex Smith actually is quite accurate. He had the best year of his career last year and was thanked by being shipped off to Washington.

Dak has a career completion percentage of 65%.

Alex Smith didn’t even hit 60 in his first 3 years and I believe he was the #1 overall QB taken.

Dak has some work to do but I think we’re too quick to bash our guy sometimes and think there are greener pastures elsewhere.

Dak can be a better player then Alex Smith ever thought about being.

stiletto

Reaction score
I love Dak, I really hope he will get back to his 2016 un-shellshocked self but comparisons to Steve McNair are not warranted yet. He has a LOOONG way to go for that even he would admit it. I would be ecstatic if he came to be that type of player.

losersgetcute

Reaction score
Still think McNabb is the closest. McNabb was a bit better athlete IMO and I believe faster. Probably a bit stronger arm. Dak is a more natural leader while McNabb was a bit of knucklehead.
He might've been faster until Roy Williams got hold of him.

losersgetcute

Reaction score
Quincy had unbelievable vision and agility. Man if his head were just screwed on straight.
Yeah Quincy clowned on all those guys at the rookie skills competition...Drew Brees included. He hurdled the final obstacle and launched a dart that hit the target. Everyone else missed.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak has a career completion percentage of 65%.

Alex Smith didn’t even hit 60 in his first 3 years and I believe he was the #1 overall QB taken.

Dak has some work to do but I think we’re too quick to bash our guy sometimes and think there are greener pastures elsewhere.

Dak can be a better player then Alex Smith ever thought about being.

Smith was part of the most dysfunctional team in football his first couple years, and in the interview Smith had during the offseason, he mentioned this. It was a mess, media around that time knew it was a mess - remember how 2010 was for us? Smith had to deal with that for 4-5 years.

Smith always had the talent, that's why he was taken in the first round. You can dislike our coaching staff, but it hasn't had the locker room dysfunction the 2005-2010 49ers had. Dak came into a much better situation, still is in a better situation.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
McNair always put up numbers like 15-27 for a 170 yards and like 30-40 yards rushing. He had a prime Eddie George and Jamal Lewis with high quality olines with players such as Bruce Matthews, Joanthen Odgen etc. Similarly, to us with Zeke and our oline. The most tds McNair ever had in a season was 24. I think this is the best comparison you can make for Dak. He's not Mcnabb. He's not Russel Wilson. Etc. Opinions
If you saw "AIR" McNair in college before Fisher reeled him in with that prehistoric offense (see Vince Young), you would never compare "AIR" McNair to Dak as a passer. McNair was much better as a pocket passer at all stages (college and pros). In fact McNair's pro stats TD/Int are better than Aikman.

However, since the Cowboys have a simplistic offense, the body types are similar, the heart and passion are similar, the ability to run (McNair was faster) similar, I agree with those parts of your comparison. But Alcorn St. "AIR" McNair was a gun slinging running scrambling QB. YouTube, Wike, and Google Air McNair and you will see as a passer there is no comparison on any level to Dak as a QB.

I grew up in LA and got to see McNair a lot in the SWAC. He reminded me of a bigger stronger faster Roger Staubach in College. I never would make that comparison of Staubach and Dak in college. You are what you are; Dak was a 4th round pick vs. Air McNair was the 3rd overall pick in the NFL draft.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
McNair always put up numbers like 15-27 for a 170 yards and like 30-40 yards rushing. He had a prime Eddie George and Jamal Lewis with high quality olines with players such as Bruce Matthews, Joanthen Odgen etc. Similarly, to us with Zeke and our oline. The most tds McNair ever had in a season was 24. I think this is the best comparison you can make for Dak. He's not Mcnabb. He's not Russel Wilson. Etc. Opinions

McNair was fast, at least when he was younger, if I recall correctly. And known for accuracy coming out of college, and went to division 1-AA school if I remember right.

CWR

Reaction score
I think kordell Stewart is the best comparison for dak.

Lol, I almost put together an @jday type of thread speaking of a trip I went on to Pitts with a good buddy who happened to be a rabid Stealers fan. He bought tickets and took us to see Stealers vs Raiders. As a Cowboy fan I had my fair share of run ins with the locals but thats another story.

The point of bringing up this trip though was to speak on how Stealer fans thought of Kordell. I heard the chant drop dead Kordell multiple times. Now it hasn't reached that point with Dak but there are some here who seem to have begun working on a path of despise thats eerily similar.

As far as game play, I haven't researched it and cant recall but I was thinking there are some similarities.

CWR

Reaction score
McNair was fast, at least when he was younger, if I recall correctly. And known for accuracy coming out of college, and went to division 1-AA school if I remember right.

Alcorn St? Off the top of my head.

raichledog

Reaction score
Quincy had more physical talent. He was just so damn stupid he never had a chance.

I have to agree. Dak is a smarter but less athletic version of Quincy Carter.

People forget that Quincy won a lot more games than the other scrubs we had on the team (Chad Hutchinson/Drew Henson). He was just dumb as a box of rocks.

jay94

Reaction score
This is still early. I thought Mcnair went a bit to far out of his way to run + Dak. For Mcnair always thought his weapons were subpar + Mcnair. In terms of arm talent and accuracy at this point I would give the edge to +Mcnair. To me he was an underrated qb, while not elite, but he was better than seen in the public eye, where as Dak before this year homers had their blinders on.