I think Jerry is throwing the '14 season

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Maybe he should pull a George Costanza and "do the opposite".

Oh that is funny.

Do the opposite.

Well..

On of the things I will say is that is the most difficult to understand is Garrett's place in Jerrahs vision for the team.

Now I've been a fan since '65 and I remember when before the team was turning the corner under Landry..

there was a lot of discussion about the Flex defense..how hard it was to teach and to learn.

There was a ton of controversy even then that changes had to be made and Tom Landry was unproven

Landry stuck it out..TeX Schramm was the GM and he redid Landry's contract and it was for like 10 years..

..and that shut everybody up and Landry and TeX went about building their dynasty.

I sort of see that going on with Garrett.

Jerrah wants stability..he wants ties thru Garrett to our successful past and he's locked in.

I'm OK with that.

We just need better players to get where we need to go.

Fredd

Reaction score
the only thing I see him throwing is a hip, but he won't EVER throw a season.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He throws the season every year by fielding a terrible coaching staff and low talented team.

dcstands4

Reaction score
Just by bringing back both coordinators. I tried thinking about why he'd bring back Kiffin, but nothing came to mind. Maybe there's a QB he's licking his chops at (Jameis)? I don't know what his logic is, but I'm already ready for next off-season, pretty sad. I was going to go to 2 games next year, but not wasting my money on watching this train-wreck.

*sigh*

If this team would have stayed healthy what do you think their record would have been?

bysbox1

Reaction score
If this team would have stayed healthy what do you think their record would have been?

I don't think it would have mattered. We were still giving up a lot of yards on defense when everyone was healty. I think we would have had the same 8-8 result.

The injury excuse is getting old and tired anyway. All teams have injuries. Some worse than others. It's about how your coaching staff works through them and how your front office manages them. Some teams did just fine despite their injuries. Denver, Seattle, and New England come to mind. The Pats in some cases were worse than we were. They could not buy a WR in the middle of the season, and they made it to the AFCC. So to me, the injury excuse is a load of garbage.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Oh that is funny.

Do the opposite.

Well..

On of the things I will say is that is the most difficult to understand is Garrett's place in Jerrahs vision for the team.

Now I've been a fan since '65 and I remember when before the team was turning the corner under Landry..

there was a lot of discussion about the Flex defense..how hard it was to teach and to learn.

There was a ton of controversy even then that changes had to be made and Tom Landry was unproven

Landry stuck it out..TeX Schramm was the GM and he redid Landry's contract and it was for like 10 years..

..and that shut everybody up and Landry and TeX went about building their dynasty.

I sort of see that going on with Garrett.

Jerrah wants stability..he wants ties thru Garrett to our successful past and he's locked in.

I'm OK with that.

We just need better players to get where we need to go.

I would be delighted if Garrett proved himself to be a great coach like Landry. I'm just not convinced that he will. He's shown he has a good eye for talent. We've drafted pretty well under Garrett, which was definitely not the case under Switzer and Campo. Garrett has also shown himself to be a good motivator. However, the most troubling thing about Garrett has been his poor clock management. We saw that two seasons ago in several games, including that one against the Cards when he accidentally iced his own kicker. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have improved. We absolutely should have won those games against the Lions and the Packers, but lost due to a combination of a poor defense and bad clock management. We had leads. We knew we could run the ball and burn up the clock. Why we didn't just boggles the mind. When your D is suspect, ball control becomes much more important. Eat up the clock, wear out the opposition's defense, and rest your own defense. We also have a quarterback who does way better when he has support for the run game. It boggles the mind that Garrett/Callahan got pass happy in those situations. If Garrett and whoever is is O-coordinator can get it through their thick noggins that we don't have the type of players well-suited for pass-happy offense, then I might change my mind. But as it stands, I want him out of there. I do agree that we don't want to have a revolving door at head coach. That's a recipe for failure. There's much to like about Garrett, but what isn't to like is insurmountable. Last year at this time I was saying keep him and let's get his clock management problems under control. I welcomed having Callahan do the play calling because I figured he would use more sense and balance the pass and the run. The thing is we've got a good O-line now and a Pro Bowl running back! There's no reason on this earth not to use that to our advantage. We've got Garrett for at least one more year. If I see that he's doing a better job with the clock, I might support keeping him. But if we have any more debacles like the Lions and Packers games where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then I'll be screaming to get Garrett out of there.

dcstands4

Reaction score
I don't think it would have mattered. We were still giving up a lot of yards on defense when everyone was healty. I think we would have had the same 8-8 result.

The injury excuse is getting old and tired anyway. All teams have injuries. Some worse than others. It's about how your coaching staff works through them and how your front office manages them. Some teams did just fine despite their injuries. Denver, Seattle, and New England come to mind. The Pats in some cases were worse than we were. They could not buy a WR in the middle of the season, and they made it to the AFCC. So to me, the injury excuse is a load of garbage.

I agree everyone had injuries but name one team that lost 3 of their front 4 before September was over. Name one that lost 4 starters and 2 back ups from the front seven alone. Who did Seattle lose? A 2nd tier WR, a TE, Okung was on sort term ir. They lost more People to suspension. The Pats had bad injuries but still had Tom Brady and learned to run the ball. Like you said That's on coaching and coaching should have masked our weekness and didnt. A front office can't manage injuries either you have a guy that steps up or you don't we had a George Selvie we just didn't have 6 more of them.

Reaction score
Why would he even consider trying to throw a season when he does it every single year without trying?

rwalters31

Reaction score
No. Jerry isn't throwing away the season. Not intentionally anyway.

Jerry thinks his team is thiiiisssss close to being a Super Bowl contender. After all, we almost beat Denver. Played the Chiefs and Eagles tough. Packers too. Sure we were destoyed by the Saints and Bears, but those things happen in the NFL.

A couple of less injures on defense and a couple of draft picks and he wouldn't have to go to the Senior Bowl because he's getting ready for the Super Bowl. So why change coaches now when we are almost there? Just a little more input from Larry Lacewell and we are home free.

This is how Jerry thinks. He completely wrong and totally delusional. But that's what he thinks. And that's why he's not making any coaching changes.

You may have something here! If he goes for a QB, WR, CB, or TE in that order then we know that he is trying to sell jerseys and not build a contenting team. If he dedicates the draft to DL and OL then we know that he has changed his evil ways!! Na, he's still Jerry!!

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
I would be delighted if Garrett proved himself to be a great coach like Landry. I'm just not convinced that he will. He's shown he has a good eye for talent. We've drafted pretty well under Garrett, which was definitely not the case under Switzer and Campo. Garrett has also shown himself to be a good motivator. However, the most troubling thing about Garrett has been his poor clock management. We saw that two seasons ago in several games, including that one against the Cards when he accidentally iced his own kicker. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have improved. We absolutely should have won those games against the Lions and the Packers, but lost due to a combination of a poor defense and bad clock management. We had leads. We knew we could run the ball and burn up the clock. Why we didn't just boggles the mind. When your D is suspect, ball control becomes much more important. Eat up the clock, wear out the opposition's defense, and rest your own defense. We also have a quarterback who does way better when he has support for the run game. It boggles the mind that Garrett/Callahan got pass happy in those situations. If Garrett and whoever is is O-coordinator can get it through their thick noggins that we don't have the type of players well-suited for pass-happy offense, then I might change my mind. But as it stands, I want him out of there. I do agree that we don't want to have a revolving door at head coach. That's a recipe for failure. There's much to like about Garrett, but what isn't to like is insurmountable. Last year at this time I was saying keep him and let's get his clock management problems under control. I welcomed having Callahan do the play calling because I figured he would use more sense and balance the pass and the run. The thing is we've got a good O-line now and a Pro Bowl running back! There's no reason on this earth not to use that to our advantage. We've got Garrett for at least one more year. If I see that he's doing a better job with the clock, I might support keeping him. But if we have any more debacles like the Lions and Packers games where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then I'll be screaming to get Garrett out of there.

Great post..

hey..I even learned something..and

I KNOW IT ALLL.

Just ask anybody.

Seriously..

I remain less definite about where Garrett stands yet.

He has had a slew of injuries to deal with and players like Ratliff who was a poison pill and too may guys like Austin, Ratliff, Spencer, Free, Ware and Demarco Murray who are injured, don't play full seasons or just don't give a Rats ***.

As for Garrett and Landry comparisons..

..Landry completely struggled for years and didn't really get things rolling until Danny Reeves and Mike Ditka retired and came on the staff as assistant coaches.

At that point, Joe Avazano came and Ernie Stautner blossomed as a DC when Randy White developed and Too Tall Jones started to bat down passes.

So its all about the HC..

but its also about the quality of the assistants.

And Garrett has been like a lightning bug in a jar.

Not much to eat..a few holes poked in the jar for some air..

..and that's not a good recipe for success.

I don't care for how Jones has not let Garrett build his staff to date..

place too much responsibility on Garrett to be the HC, playcaller and game manager too quickly

Garrett's game management is a group responsibility..not just Garrett getting it rather right or wrong.