I think Jerry will sign Berry or Weddle

robjay04

Reaction score
A first round receiver isn't expensive? I'd much rather go to the cap to fill a hole at our WR position rather than using a first round pick when we have obvious defensive needs.

Maybe, I just want to take a game changer and I am open to a receiver if it is a safe pick. A free agent receiver could cost us a 40 million dollar contract.

Our offense has been much worse than our above average defense though.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm fine with either one. The safety position has been so bad for this team for quite awhile. Get one of these guys and put him next to Jones and how good does that look? It would be nice to finally see some guys that can actually play at safety

I want Weddle for his brains. He could teach BJones and the other guys a lot for a couple years.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I don't either in Dallas, Berry will not be leaving KC and Weddle will be too expensive.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jeffery maybe not. Probably will but its not a move I make. He is good, very good but not a top 5 guy. Not in Brown/Jones/Green/ Bryant's class but a tag will invite that kind of payday.

Jeffery I think has a better chance of getting extended before FA

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/chicago-bears/

Only chance is if Forte gets the tag and at the at age I doubt that happens. Only other one is McClellin but he isn't that good to deserve it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Anyone who has paid any attention knows that Weddle is a shell of his former self but he's a name so everyone is convinced that he's the answer.

I remember when Jarius Byrd was the greatest thing since sliced bread, too. Good times.

Weddle was a pro bowler last season, and deservedly so.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I would sign Weddle. San Diego is already shopping him around. It would be dumb not to try.

Like the idea, but have to believe Dallas already has their FS...(BJones). Bringing in Weddle would be awesome, but it will take snaps and much needed experience away from the Cowboys future FS (Jones). Love Weddle but there are bigger needs else where right now....like CB, LB, WR....Jones is a true FS that can play CB when needed, not full time.

Carson

Reaction score
When's the last time we really addressed the safety position, post Woodson.

Drafted Roy Williams.
Signed Ken Hamlin.

Everything else has been pretty much late round draft picks, (Michael Hamlin, JJ Wilcox) or we go with the undrafted guys (Church, Heath).

Not saying we need to spend a first, but let's get a proven guy back here.

I bring up and continually bring up Carolinas safeties.

They have Roman Harper and Kurt Coleman. Both are playing out of their mind.

fortdick

Reaction score
Jerry is going to sign JJ Watt. Then he is going to sign Andrew Luck or Aaron Rogers, which ever will play for the league minimum.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Like the idea, but have to believe Dallas already has their FS...(BJones). Bringing in Weddle would be awesome, but it will take snaps and much needed experience away from the Cowboys future FS (Jones). Love Weddle but there are bigger needs else where right now....like CB, LB, WR....Jones is a true FS that can play CB when needed, not full time.

I'd actually prefer Jones to play a hybrid SS role, dropping down to cover TE's or whatever they need him to do, like the Packers used Woodson, or just ballhawking like Roman Harper has been used.

Weddle/Gipson/Berry and Jones at safety would be a huge boon in coverage ability. Its actually be a position of strength instead of a liability and quite possibly the worst starting safety duo on the NFL in coverage.

When's the last time we really addressed the safety position, post Woodson.

Drafted Roy Williams.
Signed Ken Hamlin.

Everything else has been pretty much late round draft picks, (Michael Hamlin, JJ Wilcox) or we go with the undrafted guys (Church, Heath).

Not saying we need to spend a first, but let's get a proven guy back here.

I bring up and continually bring up Carolinas safeties.

They have Roman Harper and Kurt Coleman. Both are playing out of their mind.

Yep. Harper is actually the guy I think about a lot with Byron. Nearly identical size but Byron is a better athlete. Get a talented FS, put Byron at SS and let him make plays.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Marshall has a contract for 9.5MM next year and 7.5MM the year after that. I'd love to see a player like that get cut and become available, but after a 100 catch season I can't see it happening.

he has said several times that when the Jets are done with him, he'll retire. May not follow through, but I'll say it's doubtful he's playing for anyone but the Jets next year.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'd actually prefer Jones to play a hybrid SS role, dropping down to cover TE's or whatever they need him to do, like the Packers used Woodson, or just ballhawking like Roman Harper has been used.

Agree, plus Marinelli can disguise coverages on almost every play when you have a FS that can play CB interchangeably.