I think Oline will be Ok

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
If we draft powers in the first round and move Tyler Smith to left tackle and fill left guard with someone on the team already and we should be a solid line.
You are pointing to the biggest question: What to do with Tyler? I think half the board here is split between LG and LT. I wish we knew what MM has in mind.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we draft powers in the first round and move Tyler Smith to left tackle and fill left guard with someone on the team already and we should be a solid line.
Even without drafting him we can move in those young guys who played for us at times last year, to Jerry and Stephen we have a gold mine, therefore we don't address the o-line early in the draft, yet we go WR especially if someone falls

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You are pointing to the biggest question: What to do with Tyler? I think half the board here is split between LG and LT. I wish we knew what MM has in mind.
not what's really in his mind, but what Jerry says is fine

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe. But it was shakey last year and we're down 2 starters. If the front office didn't have their heads up their .... wallets, I'd have more confidence.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Personally I think the Oline is in trouble. I think Tyler Smith can be a really good T, but I worry about the penalty issue getting worse moving him outside. I think Steele will improve being another year removed from the injury but who really knows?. Martin isnt getting any younger, and it seems 50/50 we would take a Olineman round 1 with the number of holes on the roster.

To me even if we do hit on a 1st rounder the ceiling for this Oline is still "OK" territory. Right now we have a lot of position groups projected to be "OK", but we really don't have anything that is great. We have some individual players who could be great but the position groups as a whole not so much. Maybe the secondary could be an elite group if the Safety group can rebound and Diggs comeback is strong.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Personally I think the Oline is in trouble. I think Tyler Smith can be a really good T, but I worry about the penalty issue getting worse moving him outside. I think Steele will improve being another year removed from the injury but who really knows?. Martin isnt getting any younger, and it seems 50/50 we would take a Olineman round 1 with the number of holes on the roster.

To me even if we do hit on a 1st rounder the ceiling for this Oline is still "OK" territory. Right now we have a lot of position groups projected to be "OK", but we really don't have anything that is great. We have some individual players who could be great but the position groups as a whole not so much. Maybe the secondary could be an elite group if the Safety group can rebound and Diggs comeback is strong.
If we waste a 1st round pick on an offensive lineman then we are, for the 30th straight year, an unserious franchise.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
post of the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...fans wanting to lose....and it's the best post of the morning....you guys deserve each other. Losing now doesn't guarantee winning later. Give me your thoughts on that.....

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
...fans wanting to lose....and it's the best post of the morning....you guys deserve each other. Losing now doesn't guarantee winning later. Give me your thoughts on that.....
Losing now also doesn’t guarantee losing later.

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to get better.

I know you’re comfortable in the mediocrity, but not everyone else is.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Folks may have a violent bodily reaction but I actually think Hoffman will be an improvement over Biadasz if he takes over the center spot.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
So we take a downgrade at LT & LG. Rookie center. RG another year older and a sieve at RT.

Sounds like it will be fine.

KDM256

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure about that 1st round draft selection either. Cowboys have a tendency of showing their hand leaking information out which cause for teams to come trade for spot in front of them to make said selection.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think the team views Tyler as the starting LT, but feels pretty good about Richards as well. The plan is probably to come up with the best combination on the left side from among Tyler, Richards and Bass.

Center is the spot that worries me. I didn't even think Hoffman was worth keeping after the preseason and now he's the placeholder. He played fairly decently at center when given opportunities during the season, but I think he will get exposed if he's the starter. Of course, that's why I think we'll be drafting a center early.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I still believe we need to upgrade our o-line coach. Seems like the guys don't gel with his scheme. But, who knows!!
Tyler had an excellent season at guard. I don't know how much credit that OL coach deserves for that. Our rookies (Bass and Richards) also looked pretty good. Maybe the problems had more to do with continuity/injuries and Steele being slow to come back from his knee injury than the OL coach.