Twitter: "I think people are surprised at how good he is at reading and processing."

Swagger

Reaction score
Yet 5 out of the 6 Tier 3 QBs you mentioned became the highest paid QB at the time of their extension.

Losing a player due to Dak's Contract is a myth.

DeMarcus Ware refused a team friendly deal restructuring. We were told of ALL this talent Romo would lose or will be needed to win a Superbowl.

Ware was right.

Building a team isn't Dak's problem. QBs get paid.
Building a team isn't Dak's problem. That's correct. It's the problem for the front office who want to win a Superbowl and are managing the salary cap.

UncleOscar

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes with football, whether college or NFL, is in a team sport with so many moving parts on every play way to much credit and blame for winning or losing is attached to the QB. Your logic is there are two QB tiers, those who have won a Super Bowl and those who haven't. Off the top of my head there are two QB's that blow that logic right out of the water. Trent Dilfer was the QB of a Super Bowl winning team yet I seriously doubt anyone will rate him as a top tier QB. Dan Marion never won a Super Bowl but I'll bet most will say he was a top tier QB.

But I'll go back to what I originally said. There is any number of things any of the other players in the game could do wrong or make outstanding plays on every play that can affect the outcome of any game yet most people just want to credit or blame the QB for all of it. I won't even bring up special teams or the refs like the one's that stole a trip to the Super Bowl for the saints against the rams. There are those that say that it doesn't matter if any of the other players are making mistakes, getting called for penalties, turning over the ball or not stopping the other team, a top tier QB just keeps overcoming all the mistakes other players on his team make and just will the team to win is a crock of BS. The QB could be having a great game, no picks, great completion percentage yet the team is taking 2 steps forward and then 1 step back because others on his team are missing blocks so he gets sacked or a hold on a 3rd down conversion but comes back on a holding penalty.or any other mistakes that happen on offense or defense and they end up losing and the QB gets tagged with a loss. Or how about in a close game and the QB is scrambling because of another missed block and he throws the ball on the run and a receiver jumps high in the air and makes a fantastic catch and then breaks 2 tackles to score with just a couple seconds left to take the lead and then down the road when people are looking at the QB's win/loss record that will be in the win column even though they won that game because of a great play by a receiver. QB's get way to much credit and blame for the outcomes of games.

Zzzzzzzzzz...........

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Great. A top 7 QB who wants top 1-2 money. If he was demanding top 5 money and happy to work with the team on the structure, no problem. Would you pay the 7th best anyone like he was the best at his position? I wouldn't. I like Dak and hope he is the QB in Dallas for a long time and wins super bowls but that is because they are my favorite team, not because I am hung up on Dak Prescott. Same thing as the Adams situation. Yeah, I wanted them to trade for him but after seeing what it would have taken, no thanks. I want them to sign Dak, but not for $38-40 million a year for 4 years with no way to lessen the cap hit.
This post right here sums up my exact thoughts on Dak. Not all of us who didn't want to sign him to a massive contract hate him and think he is a garbage QB. You can't pay everyone like they are the best in the league. We shouldn't have done it with Elliott and we shouldn't have done it with Jaylon. It's bad business.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah I was amazed at how he improved his reading and processing from 2018 to 2019. Cooper and Cobb had nothing to do with it. And this year with Lamb and a new coaching staff, I predict it improves further.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Basically. Even though Cowboys lucked into him....go get another one they say lol...good luck.

Just curious, you quote an NFL coordinator, obviously a guy with NFL knowledge (even though i disagree with him) and he has Dak as a "HIGH TIER 2 QB" in the NFL. Why would we have wanted to make a guy like that the highest paid or top 2 or 3 paid QB in the league?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just curious, you quote an NFL coordinator, obviously a guy with NFL knowledge (even though i disagree with him) and he has Dak as a "HIGH TIER 2 QB" in the NFL. Why would we have wanted to make a guy like that the highest paid or top 2 or 3 paid QB in the league?

Because you aren't paid based on NFL rankings made by NFL Coordinators or made by rankings from "Cowboyslover4life2134". There's a few things that go into getting paid and even more so at the quarterback position. Its the one position you can play into your 30's. Its the most important position on the team. You can't use the gauge you use for running back and use it for quarterback.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even if you believed the top 7-should you pay him as top 2?
But you do realize that at the quarterback position you Arne't paid based on your "top 10 ranking" though right? Its like guys forget how Cousins, Jimmy G, Carr, Ryan and Stafford were paid.

shabazz

Reaction score
Its cute that yet another butt kissing "journalist" is put upon us: as if he really matters

McCarthy's opinion is the ONLY one that matters and his unwillingness to extend a future to Dakota and the Boys is the final word.

.......and no matter how many "journalists" attempt to cleanse and insulate themselves, its not gonna work

visionary

Reaction score
But you do realize that at the quarterback position you Arne't paid based on your "top 10 ranking" though right? Its like guys forget how Cousins, Jimmy G, Carr, Ryan and Stafford were paid.

we don’t “forget” and can you remind us what happened to those teams after they over paid their QBs, how many SB wins between all of them?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we don’t “forget” and can you remind us what happened to those teams after they over paid their QBs, how many SB wins between all of them?

Yes it is like you forget because if you didn't you wouldn't keep asking "Are top 7 or 10 guys paid like top 2?". You should know that they are.

And look, we can sit here and say what happens when you pay these guys. That's not the argument here. If you want to pay Dak you are going to have to pay him high dollar. Its just what it is. Its what the QB position has become. Cowboys will either pay him that or they won't. The end result isn't going to be some discount though is my point.

HungryLion

Reaction score

The argument is because of how hard it is to find a High tier 2 QB.

It can take franchises decades to find high tier 2 QB’s and they usually need top 10 picks to do it.

That’s the argument for why you keep the QB. You don’t have to agree. I’m just putting it out there.

I would love to have Patrick Mahomes or Russell Wilson. It could legit take the cowboys 20 years to find someone that good though. And that’s not hyperbole.

visionary

Reaction score
Yes it is like you forget because if you didn't you wouldn't keep asking "Are top 7 or 10 guys paid like top 2?". You should know that they are.

And look, we can sit here and say what happens when you pay these guys. That's not the argument here. If you want to pay Dak you are going to have to pay him high dollar. Its just what it is. Its what the QB position has become. Cowboys will either pay him that or they won't. The end result isn't going to be some discount though is my point.

HOW MANY SB WINS BETWEEN THEM?

visionary

Reaction score
None. What is your point? How many Super Bowls did the Cowboys get when Dak was on his rookie deal? Or how many did the Rams get when Goff was on his rookie deal? How many has Mayfield gotten on his rookie deal?

my point is the same that it has been from the beginning: you cannot pay an above average QB elite money and expect to win SBs

simple

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I love Dak, became a believer his rookie season, but I'm not so sure I believe all that's written there particularly on processing and accuracy. He's got some warts, which I think are offset by his leadership and durability.

As far as Tier rating, to me there's QBs that have won SuperBowls and then there's those are trying to win Superbowls.

Like the great Joe Flacco

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
my point is the same that it has been from the beginning: you cannot pay an above average QB elite money and expect to win SBs

simple

Ok. History also says you can't win paying a running back top money or a receiver top money as well. You can't use history to determine what you will do next season. Hell history says that Jerry can't win a Super Bowl without Jimmy being on the team.

visionary

Reaction score
Ok. History also says you can't win paying a running back top money or a receiver top money as well. You can't use history to determine what you will do next season. Hell history says that Jerry can't win a Super Bowl without Jimmy being on the team.

It’s hard to argue with willful ignorance

You’re saying “history is not important” or “we shouldn’t draw lessons from history” then all data and stats are useless

Rather the opposite is true, if history shows certain things are done by successful teams then we should try to do as many of these as possible. We have already made some mistakes but how crazy is it to argue that we should keep making stupid decisions just because we made stupid decisions in the past?

that would be really crazy