I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season. Let me explain. To start with, we are 3-3 coming off a bye week. As of today when I'm writing this thread, we are two weeks from the trade deadline. Below is our remaining schedule after San Francisco (
https://fbschedules.com/2024-dallas-cowboys-schedule/):

@ Atlanta
Philly
Houston (MNF)
@ Washington
Giants (Thanksgiving)
Cincinnati (MNF)
@ Carolina
Tampa
@ Philly
Washington

To me, assuming we can't fix our run game (I provided some ideas for how to do this in another thread today), I see possible wins against Philly (I think we split with them, but, with how Barkley is running, who knows), maybe the Giants, and the Panthers. At best, in that scenario, we would finish with a 6-11 record.

If we can find a way to fix our run game, then the Houston and Cincinnati games become winnable. Plus, we possibly could split with Washington if Daniels is out for longer than expected. Plus, Tampa could become winnable of we can fix our run game. So, there's a chance if we fix our run game that we finish around 9-8 or 10-7. That might be just enough to sneak a playoff spot.

I think, if we win, then it means we should be green lit to try to make some trades for potentially a LG (so we can move Guyton to RT) and a RB to try to see if we can get hot at the right time. I listed the backs I want in the previous thread if we win against SF.

However, if we do not beat SF, then, with a 3-4 record, it might be best long term for the team to go ahead and start shopping what we can. At that point, the goal should be to finish around 3-14 or 6-11. Doing so would afford us a high enough spot in the draft to build for the future. If we can make certain trades (which I will detail next week if we lose) including Parsons, we might be able to start fixing some areas and positioning ourselves for a positive future.

So, the direction that the season should go, to me, comes down to the San Francisco game on Sunday Night. If we win, then it might make sense to try to see if we can pull in a back and a guard to try to see if we can fix two of our biggest weaknesses and see what happens. If we lose, then I think it makes sense to try to begin rolling in the tanks. See if we can set ourselves up for the next two years.

Either way, if we play our cards right, this season could provide seeds for a brighter future. The only question is, will it be for a push this year or for the future?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To explain, I include Houston, if we should happen to get our running game better as a possible win because they've not looked great this year. Stroud looks beatable this year, but we must run the ball against them. If we do not beat SF, then there's not really any point to try to salvage the season with the remaining games. At that point, I think the most logical move is to declare checkmate on the season and try to build up for the next few seasons.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
With injuries piling up for the Niners, it gives us a glimmer of hope. But, Shanahan will have soemthing for us and i''m 90% sure we aren't scoring much on their defense even with all the injuries.

Right, that's all the more reason for this post. This is probably the easiest game on our schedule until maybe the Giants game (as they will probably have checked out on the season by then). So, if we can't even beat the 49ers in this situation of all seasons, then it makes more logical sense to begin a firesale. I don't just mean Micah either. I'm talking a lot of players including Zach Martin (great player, but, given his contract, might as well see if a team like the Bills can do something with him).

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season. Let me explain. To start with, we are 3-3 coming off a bye week. As of today when I'm writing this thread, we are two weeks from the trade deadline. Below is our remaining schedule after San Francisco (
https://fbschedules.com/2024-dallas-cowboys-schedule/):

@ Atlanta
Philly
Houston (MNF)
@ Washington
Giants (Thanksgiving)
Cincinnati (MNF)
@ Carolina
Tampa
@ Philly
Washington

To me, assuming we can't fix our run game (I provided some ideas for how to do this in another thread today), I see possible wins against Philly (I think we split with them, but, with how Barkley is running, who knows), maybe the Giants, and the Panthers. At best, in that scenario, we would finish with a 6-11 record.

If we can find a way to fix our run game, then the Houston and Cincinnati games become winnable. Plus, we possibly could split with Washington if Daniels is out for longer than expected. Plus, Tampa could become winnable of we can fix our run game. So, there's a chance if we fix our run game that we finish around 9-8 or 10-7. That might be just enough to sneak a playoff spot.

I think, if we win, then it means we should be green lit to try to make some trades for potentially a LG (so we can move Guyton to RT) and a RB to try to see if we can get hot at the right time. I listed the backs I want in the previous thread if we win against SF.

However, if we do not beat SF, then, with a 3-4 record, it might be best long term for the team to go ahead and start shopping what we can. At that point, the goal should be to finish around 3-14 or 6-11. Doing so would afford us a high enough spot in the draft to build for the future. If we can make certain trades (which I will detail next week if we lose) including Parsons, we might be able to start fixing some areas and positioning ourselves for a positive future.

So, the direction that the season should go, to me, comes down to the San Francisco game on Sunday Night. If we win, then it might make sense to try to see if we can pull in a back and a guard to try to see if we can fix two of our biggest weaknesses and see what happens. If we lose, then I think it makes sense to try to begin rolling in the tanks. See if we can set ourselves up for the next two years.

Either way, if we play our cards right, this season could provide seeds for a brighter future. The only question is, will it be for a push this year or for the future?
Every game is important

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think it will matter. I'd love seeing win but would it change the deep problems we all say we have? False hope.

Honestly, I would love a win too. I will explain also, by saying green light to trade for a back and a guard, I'm not saying the team as presently constructed has a chance. I just mean winning against SF gives us the room to try to make a few cheap and smart trades. If we go into the Atlanta game without making moves, then it's probably time to pull the plug on the season anyway. This thread largely hinges on what trades make the most sense and what a smart FO would do in that juncture.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Every game is important

I agree, but I mean in terms of what moves as make before the trade deadline. If we are sitting at 3-4 after this game, then, using the fact we would be a week from the deadline, it may make sense to see what draft picks we can get to try to build for the future to make next year special. If we win, and are sitting at 4-3, then I think the right move is to make a deal for one of the running backs in the thread I posted about that and try to also make a smart (not give up a first or second) deal for a guard. See if we can make a late push.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This may be the toughest game coming up obviously. If we can get through this, we can make the playoffs, but is that a waste of time and a higher pick. I still think we finished the season 9/8. But what is the future for this team is my question

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This team isn't going anywhere regardless if we win 49ers. Yall need to take off the delulu glasses.

Again, if we win, we would need to make some moves afterwards to try to set up a late run. If we do not make any moves after the 49ers game and go up against Atlanta, we probably lose that game and end up at 3-5. At that point, we definitely sell. But, to me, I think the right course of action depends on this game. 4-3, buy a guard and RB. If we lose and go to 3-4, then sell what we can for the next few drafts.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This may be the toughest game coming up obviously. If we can get through this, we can make the playoffs, but is that a waste of time and a higher pick. I still think we finished the season 9/8. But what is the future for this team is my question

Honestly, it may not be the toughest game given the 49ers injuries. If anything, this is probably our most winnable game until the Giants game. So, that's why I'm saying that the correct course of action for this season, to me, hinges on this game.

Mark

Reaction score
The SF game is "pivotal" in the sense that it will show where this team's collective head is at.

The DET contest (if you could even call it that) had "quit" written all over it. With some injured starters returning to the lineup, can McCarthy get this team ready to play?

With voices of dismay and dissent growing both louder and more prominent, could the Cowboys be much more than one more embarrassing performance away from a midseason coaching change?

NFCBeasts

Reaction score
We should beat them based on two things :

1.) their injuries
2.) eventually someone being paid 60 million has to win a game like this …. Purdy is awful and now has his four top weapons out: I don’t want to hear it from the Stans with excuses …. it’s time for Dak to go out and put points on the board so when our garbage of a defense stinks we can win in a shootout.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know we haven't .......
We’re missing our top four pass rushes. Will be getting them back. We really got bitten by the injury bug. I don’t think people realize how bad it is. We’ve been basically playing with second stringers.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What about offense?
That’s a very good question. We need a wide receiver to step up somewhere. I don’t think deuce Vaughan is going to be much of a help. We are getting our starting tackle back even though he’s a rookie. We only have one true starting receiver on this roster. I think Cook is done for the season he’s cooked lol