I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry has never, not once, traded a good player for picks. Dumping Amari on the Browns for a 5th doesn't count. I can't think of a single time in that last 30 years this team has traded a top talent in exchange for meaningful draft capitol. We haven't swung those kinds of trades since Jimmy Johnson did all the front office thinking.

I understand, but I'm just looking at this from the lense of what would make the most sense.

Flamma

Reaction score
Right, that's all the more reason for this post. This is probably the easiest game on our schedule until maybe the Giants game (as they will probably have checked out on the season by then). So, if we can't even beat the 49ers in this situation of all seasons, then it makes more logical sense to begin a firesale. I don't just mean Micah either. I'm talking a lot of players including Zach Martin (great player, but, given his contract, might as well see if a team like the Bills can do something with him).
I don't think they do that. That would require them to deviate from their team building philosophy. We could go 6-11 and they'd still pay Parsons in the offseason.

Is Deebo playing? We have a punchers chance if they're without their two top WRs and best RB. But I'm not so sure of that going by last game. They looked uninterested. Hope that doesn't carry over.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think they do that. That would require them to deviate from their team building philosophy. We could go 6-11 and they'd still pay Parsons in the offseason.

Is Deebo playing? We have a punchers chance if they're without their two top WRs and best RB. But I'm not so sure of that going by last game. They looked uninterested. Hope that doesn't carry over.

Well, and that's my point. If we lose to SF who are without Aiyuk and maybe even Deebo, then we really should consider selling. I know it's not something they would likely do, but it's the smart thing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We have the worst FO in the NFL and I expect nothing bc that's what Jerry does. But, it's still fun debate trying to come up with things he should do. I get it.

I mean, as a Cleveland resident, there's one that's probably worse lol. Still, it's fun to come up with what would probably be the smart move.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The most pivotal point of any season of the JonesBoys is whether or not the first move of any given off-season was to fire the GM. if this is not the case then you know how the season will go.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The most pivotal point of any season of the JonesBoys is whether or not the first move of any given off-season was to fire the GM. if this is not the case then you know how the season will go.

Lol, true, but I just mean in terms of what the logical strategy for the remainder of the season should be

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season. Let me explain. To start with, we are 3-3 coming off a bye week. As of today when I'm writing this thread, we are two weeks from the trade deadline. Below is our remaining schedule after San Francisco (
https://fbschedules.com/2024-dallas-cowboys-schedule/):

@ Atlanta
Philly
Houston (MNF)
@ Washington
Giants (Thanksgiving)
Cincinnati (MNF)
@ Carolina
Tampa
@ Philly
Washington

To me, assuming we can't fix our run game (I provided some ideas for how to do this in another thread today), I see possible wins against Philly (I think we split with them, but, with how Barkley is running, who knows), maybe the Giants, and the Panthers. At best, in that scenario, we would finish with a 6-11 record.

If we can find a way to fix our run game, then the Houston and Cincinnati games become winnable. Plus, we possibly could split with Washington if Daniels is out for longer than expected. Plus, Tampa could become winnable of we can fix our run game. So, there's a chance if we fix our run game that we finish around 9-8 or 10-7. That might be just enough to sneak a playoff spot.

I think, if we win, then it means we should be green lit to try to make some trades for potentially a LG (so we can move Guyton to RT) and a RB to try to see if we can get hot at the right time. I listed the backs I want in the previous thread if we win against SF.

However, if we do not beat SF, then, with a 3-4 record, it might be best long term for the team to go ahead and start shopping what we can. At that point, the goal should be to finish around 3-14 or 6-11. Doing so would afford us a high enough spot in the draft to build for the future. If we can make certain trades (which I will detail next week if we lose) including Parsons, we might be able to start fixing some areas and positioning ourselves for a positive future.

So, the direction that the season should go, to me, comes down to the San Francisco game on Sunday Night. If we win, then it might make sense to try to see if we can pull in a back and a guard to try to see if we can fix two of our biggest weaknesses and see what happens. If we lose, then I think it makes sense to try to begin rolling in the tanks. See if we can set ourselves up for the next two years.

Either way, if we play our cards right, this season could provide seeds for a brighter future. The only question is, will it be for a push this year or for the future?
l hope the Cowboys get smeared into the mud. Sling some of the wet mud at Jerry and his new suit, as he walks away in shame...again.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
l hope the Cowboys get smeared into the mud. Sling some of the wet mud at Jerry and his new suit, as he walks away in shame...again.
You need to restring your guitar....you're getting a bit ornery...

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Why would you want an average team who gets throttled by any team above .500 to sneak into the playoffs? They would only be the annual sacrificial lamb they have always been for the last 28 years.

A low stress, high score blowout/confidence booster game for any aspiring team let alone a real contender on their journey to round 2 of the playoffs.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
SF vs. DAL game is only pivotal if you have expectations. And if that is true, you have not learned from 28 years of doing business with Jerry's Snake Oil Inc.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Probably a make or break game for both teams. The 49ers are already one game under 500 and their confidence would be totally shot if they lose to the crap team the Cowboys have this season, especially when they’ve owned them. If the Cowboys lose they’ll be lucky if they’re still sniffing 500 by December. Even with the struggles the 49ers have had they should win by at least two scores Sunday night. They gave KC a pretty good battle, but Purdy’s turnovers cost them the game.