I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season

Mcsports

Reaction score
Who is for sale?
Who is affordable and desired by another squad?
Turpin.
Brandin Cooks.
I think Lawrence would have been a good trade piece (but he's sidelined for another four weeks at least).
Trey Lance (for a sixth round)?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The SF game is "pivotal" in the sense that it will show where this team's collective head is at.

The DET contest (if you could even call it that) had "quit" written all over it. With some injured starters returning to the lineup, can McCarthy get this team ready to play?

With voices of dismay and dissent growing both louder and more prominent, could the Cowboys be much more than one more embarrassing performance away from a midseason coaching change?

Well, and, like I said, it probably determines what moves should be made.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Who is for sale?
Who is affordable and desired by another squad?
Turpin.
Brandin Cooks.
I think Lawrence would have been a good trade piece (but he's sidelined for another four weeks at least).
Trey Lance (for a sixth round)?

I think also Parsons (especially since we looked useless on defence against Detroit without him), DLaw, maybe Zach Martin, and more. If we lose to SFO, I have a thread planned to cover that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The most pivotal point of this season happened in the off-season…or rather didn’t happen, lol.

Oh, no doubt lol, but, it's sour and spilled milk at this point. As of now, if we want to try to salvage this season, I think we must win this game and make a few smart trades. If we lose, then I think the most logical choice is to pull the plug and sell what we can.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s a very good question. We need a wide receiver to step up somewhere. I don’t think deuce Vaughan is going to be much of a help. We are getting our starting tackle back even though he’s a rookie. We only have one true starting receiver on this roster. I think Cook is done for the season he’s cooked lol
My point is ...... with no pass rushers ...... and no offense ...... why would we think we are gonna beat a team that hates us more than we hate them?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We should beat them based on two things :

1.) their injuries
2.) eventually someone being paid 60 million has to win a game like this …. Purdy is awful and now has his four top weapons out: I don’t want to hear it from the Stans with excuses …. it’s time for Dak to go out and put points on the board so when our garbage of a defense stinks we can win in a shootout.

The injuries of SFO make this game the most winnable until the Giants with our current roster construction.

Mcsports

Reaction score
If losing at San Fran, it could be part of a 6-game skid.
I'm all for a firesale.
The championship Jimmy Johnson teams were built on a firesale (Herschel Walker) as were the World Series runner-up Texas Rangers squads (Teixeira).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If losing at San Fran, it could be part of a 6-game skid.
I'm all for a firesale.
The championship Jimmy Johnson teams were built on a firesale (Herschel Walker) as were the World Series runner-up Texas Rangers squads (Teixeira).

Well, and that's basically the situation. As frustrating as this season is to me, if we take an honest look and examination of our roster and schedule, it's not the worst roster, but, we are losing because of injuries and poor construction in critical football 101 spots. I've explained those ad nauseam. However, we have enough good players to sell or keep around for future building, but we are also in a spot where we could add a few players to try to see what we can do. But, it really hinges on Sunday what we should do.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I can’t overlook Saints Ravens Lions . Non competitive efforts . That upcoming schedule is tough . Only thing you can think Jerry is cleaning house and this team might actually draft higher .

Cleveland and the Giants are two Dallas wins . Those 2 might draft top five next April that’s how horrible they are .

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can’t overlook Saints Ravens Lions . Non competitive efforts . That upcoming schedule is tough . Only thing you can think Jerry is cleaning house and this team might actually draft higher .

Cleveland and the Giants are two Dallas wins . Those 2 might draft top five next April that’s how horrible they are .

Right, and in no way am I suggesting in this current situation with the roster it's enough to win. To me, a win, and we try to buy a RB and Guard (probably can get a decent back and NT from someone's practice squad if we don't want to use a draft pick). A loss and it's time for us to acquire as many draft picks as possible.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think the San Francisco game is the most pivotal point of the season. Let me explain. To start with, we are 3-3 coming off a bye week. As of today when I'm writing this thread, we are two weeks from the trade deadline. Below is our remaining schedule after San Francisco (
https://fbschedules.com/2024-dallas-cowboys-schedule/):

@ Atlanta
Philly
Houston (MNF)
@ Washington
Giants (Thanksgiving)
Cincinnati (MNF)
@ Carolina
Tampa
@ Philly
Washington

To me, assuming we can't fix our run game (I provided some ideas for how to do this in another thread today), I see possible wins against Philly (I think we split with them, but, with how Barkley is running, who knows), maybe the Giants, and the Panthers. At best, in that scenario, we would finish with a 6-11 record.

If we can find a way to fix our run game, then the Houston and Cincinnati games become winnable. Plus, we possibly could split with Washington if Daniels is out for longer than expected. Plus, Tampa could become winnable of we can fix our run game. So, there's a chance if we fix our run game that we finish around 9-8 or 10-7. That might be just enough to sneak a playoff spot.

I think, if we win, then it means we should be green lit to try to make some trades for potentially a LG (so we can move Guyton to RT) and a RB to try to see if we can get hot at the right time. I listed the backs I want in the previous thread if we win against SF.

However, if we do not beat SF, then, with a 3-4 record, it might be best long term for the team to go ahead and start shopping what we can. At that point, the goal should be to finish around 3-14 or 6-11. Doing so would afford us a high enough spot in the draft to build for the future. If we can make certain trades (which I will detail next week if we lose) including Parsons, we might be able to start fixing some areas and positioning ourselves for a positive future.

So, the direction that the season should go, to me, comes down to the San Francisco game on Sunday Night. If we win, then it might make sense to try to see if we can pull in a back and a guard to try to see if we can fix two of our biggest weaknesses and see what happens. If we lose, then I think it makes sense to try to begin rolling in the tanks. See if we can set ourselves up for the next two years.

Either way, if we play our cards right, this season could provide seeds for a brighter future. The only question is, will it be for a push this year or for the future?
The team that loses is not going to the playoffs. Same for the Eagles/Bengals game. It’s a pivotal weekend for the NFC East.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I saw Robinson of Atlanta literally lower his head and run right over a defender . Atlanta will see Cowboy run D on tape and feed Robinson 20 times .

Unless we can get a NT midweek of course. That's partly why I think this game is crucial for the duration of the season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This may be the toughest game coming up obviously. If we can get through this, we can make the playoffs, but is that a waste of time and a higher pick. I still think we finished the season 9/8. But what is the future for this team is my question
We're not the same team week to week