I think you almost have to sign Dak at this point

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Reason 1: This current crop of QBs is middling at best. Been a long time since there has been a college QB at the level of Manning. Manning was probably the last proven college QB that ended up being as good as predicted. It's just not the 70s-90s anymore where you had can't miss prospects like Elway, Aikman, Bradshaw, and Manning.

I rather have Dak over Shedur Sanders, Quinn Evers, and that boneless new Manning boy. It's a joke to think that those guys would be a significant improvement over Dak.

Also, I don't McCarthy is told to tank because that would mean his job. He's gonna do his usual and try to win as many regular season games as he can so our dream of getting the #1 pick seems unlikely.

Reason 2: The signing of CD has invigorated me. I want more of the Sheriff Dak to CD express. It means our core is in place, and the last remaining thing to do is to build the pieces around our core 3 who looks to be here for a long long time.

So yup, get Dak resigned.
You almost have to sign this guy?

Retro88

Reaction score
I’m sure Dallas will be better for it and we won’t get sent home packing because of minor holes on the roster that he can’t overcome.
Welcome to the world of every QB in the NFL except for a couple.

And you're underestimating "minor"

MS17

Reaction score
The question hasn't gone away. Is extending Dak Prescott now in the organization's best long-term interest? What do Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee in the front office say on this.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
You almost have to sign this guy?

Dak's defense has given up 30 points 3 times, one of the highest rates among active QBs not named Rodgers.

Add the component of McCarthy whose defense has given up 30 points 5 times with Rodgers, it's clearly the defense that's usually gonna be less trustworthy than the QB.

Cowboys defense adding a McCarthy seems like it's gonna suck most of the time and that should be the area we should be looking at instead of the QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Trey Lances performance all but guarantees dak will be resigned and the highest paid qb in the league
It doesn’t come close to guaranteeing it. I’m not so sure Dak wants to re-sign with the Cowboys. Offers have been made, but he’s not accepting. Stephen said a few weeks ago it’s going to be up to Dak. He may want a fresh start somewhere else and could be looking forward to free agency. He’s got a ton of leverage. He could make a lot more money in free agency than what the Cowboys could pay him.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak's defense has given up 30 points 3 times, one of the highest rates among active QBs not named Rodgers.

Add the component of McCarthy whose defense has given up 30 points 5 times with Rodgers, it's clearly the defense that's usually gonna be less trustworthy than the QB.

Cowboys defense adding a McCarthy seems like it's gonna suck most of the time and that should be the area we should be looking at instead of the QB.
I hope that his new team next season builds him an amazing defense for him to fail in front of.

kevm3

Reaction score
You can't sign Dak. He has shown signs of greatness...in the regular season...against poor teams...but when he gets to the playoffs he chokes. What is he, 2-5, in play-off games? He'll have had 9 seasons. If he doesn't produce against better competition this year he will walk and no one will complain.
That's the cowboys in general. 30 years of the same result. Nearly 30 years of not getting out of the second round of the playoffs. It's a culture problem

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Pffffff....Signing that guy long term...you might as well put a noose around your sack....and hope the horse drops dead before it notices the trough.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I hope that his new team next season builds him an amazing defense for him to fail in front of.
Which one of your fantasies have come true?

Surely the one where you think the Cowboys are gonna be led by a Manning, Brady, or Mahomes .... right?

Flamma

Reaction score
You can't sign Dak. He has shown signs of greatness...in the regular season...against poor teams...but when he gets to the playoffs he chokes. What is he, 2-5, in play-off games? He'll have had 9 seasons. If he doesn't produce against better competition this year he will walk and no one will complain.
The owner doesn't care about any of that. He knows all of this. It's to be expected, but he'll sign him anyway. He wants a team that is good and in the playoffs every year. Even if it means never winning it all. But if they luck into one, all the better. Hell, half the fans hold that opinion.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
What’s the plan, then? In the time we’ve had Romo and Dak, there are still teams out there who haven’t had a viable option at QB.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
McCarthy is gone, and everyone knows it. He's only here because Jerry didn't want to pay "dead coach money". And Lamb just got paid. Lamb had a pouting session against GB. Was it because of Dak? Is there tension? If so, preference is going to go to CeeDee now. There was no reason to pay Dak right now anyway, and if you're adding locker room politics to the mix...

bsbellomy

Reaction score

At least in last year's playoffs Dak continually put the defense in bad spots and gave the other team points and momentum with his turnovers.