I would extend Rush today!

Ken

Reaction score
Dak is gone after 2024.

maybe sooner.

they can cut Dak after 2023 and take a 34+mil cap hit.

which could be offset by a team friendly deal with Cooper.
Stephen Jones seems to think otherwise.

Already stated last week they will be doing something with his contract as it was a "given".

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Already stated last week they will be doing something with his contract as it was a "given".

except Dak can’t throw a football 5 feet.

Motorola

Reaction score
curious what does he fetch draft wise via trade, in your view?
I can't see getting very much for him at this point. If the legend of Cooper Rush continues to grow after a couple more W's and maybe a 300+ yard game that could change.

Right now though the narrative seems to be a backup QB who's biggest attribute is knowing the offense and being able to work within the offense. A team could be crazy to give up any sort of significant draft capital for Cooper Rush in a walk year and has to learn a new system with new players mid year. I think he has more value to the Cowboys than he does any other team for 2022.
UDFA from 5 seasons ago...and will turn 29 a few days before Thanksgiving.
If Jerry - oops, I mean Mike - let him start against the Rams and Eagles, then Rush QBs the Cowboys to wins....maybe a team might think he is a late bloomer...and whisk him away with a better deal.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Fans think they can speak things into existence no matter what the Jones boys tell us.

Stephen called Dak a top 3 QB less than a month ago (I don't agree with him). One game vs Tampa isn't going to make him completely change his mind.

The fans who want Dak gone have one hope - what happens the rest of this season. As of right now, he's not going anywhere. That's not me talking, it's me listening.

Reactions: Ken

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
that's part of the point but Daks better than a bus driver and when called upon he is better than rush at making plays when we need MORE scoring. Rush is who he is and its his ceiling, issue is that all he is.

Dak can drive the bus but when needed he can make more plays. if fans do not get that, well again. clueless.

So Rush has hit his ceiling? Interesting... He has only started 3 games in his career (and has won all 3 games I might add) but he has hit his ceiling you say...... HMMMM Who is cluelss?

Dak was 2-1 his first 3 starts of his professional career but I digress... He has also started 50 times as many games as Rush. You give Rush the same amount of starts and I think you will see they are pretty much one of the same... Bus Drivers at best. I've said this time and time again in different threads. There is nothing special about either of them. Both are great locker room leaders. It's just that one bus driver is making 40 million dollars.

There is nothing wrong with having a bus driver as your starter as long as the defene is doing their job.

conner01

Reaction score
We couldn't even if we wanted too. Dak is taking a large part of the cap space and we couldn't afford paying 2 QB's top dollar. Bad enough we are overpaying for a mediocre QB now.
Geez
We have 20 mil in cap space
We can sign anyone we want to
No reason to extend rush, he has a two year deal

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was very wrong about him. I thought he was a complete trash QB and we had a horrific QB situation behind Dak that would be a disaster if they ever had to play for any amount of time.

This guy has proven he is what you want in a backup qb. Give us a chance to win, not limit the offense, and actually play well in crunch time.

I would extend him now to a competitive backup QB salary and lock him up for a few years so we don't have to worry about it anymore.

Right. Because you're an emotional fan.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So Rush has hit his ceiling? Interesting... He has only started 3 games in his career (and has won all 3 games I might add) but he has hit his ceiling you say...... HMMMM Who is cluelss?

Dak was 2-1 his first 3 starts of his professional career but I digress... He has also started 50 times as many games as Rush. You give Rush the same amount of starts and I think you will see they are pretty much one of the same... Bus Drivers at best. I've said this time and time again in different threads. There is nothing special about either of them. Both are great locker room leaders. It's just that one bus driver is making 40 million dollars.

There is nothing wrong with having a bus driver as your starter as long as the defene is doing their job.

Nope,

started 60 games, has destroyed the eagles the last 3 contests, that exactly why you start Dak if you can against the rams and eagles, but MOORE must not go back to 3-4 WR sets using no run game for support and call the complete opposite play calls he does for rush. Sorry dude you are blind if you can't see the huge difference in the vanilla scaled downplay calls , heavy stick to it run game, better OL play, better paly calling and other parts of the team stepping up to support Rush and his efforts..

TB was the best D in the league the first 3 weeks and we were not prepared on any level..fournetee ran over our D even know they played well it was not what we have seen the last 2 games.ie against inferior talent

Ok Stevie wonder. Rush is doing just enough and not messing up the games.. Daks destroyed the EAST since day 1 by landslide many days the games were over by halftime, not counting on 50+ yard fgs to win close lasty second games.. games ahead we will need MORE than that to win.

Its MOORE and the OL and the Wrs who have messed up the TB game and games in the past. You support dak like that against BETER competition and Dak will win..

caser in point 6-0 run last year team played well , dak in turn played at MVP level, down the stretch team played bad Dak regressed, coincidence, i think not. the production Rush has brought is dak by halftime against those same team in those same scenarios. GAURANTEED

weve already seen it 11-0 run in 16, 2018 went on 5 game win streak beat Seattle in the playoffs, 2019 started 3-0 ,last year 6-0

come on, wake up hater. we see the troll hair coming out from under that hater shirt..

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Rush is not an elite for sure but he is smart with calm personality ....mix that with good players like we have around him he is a winner
Dak issue he thinks he is at one level and the players at another level

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Not gonna happen. Some team is going to sign him away from us.

Good QBs are hard to come by, and some team will give a chunk of money to an adequate bus driver like Rush.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He's made himself some money....as a long term backup

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was very wrong about him. I thought he was a complete trash QB and we had a horrific QB situation behind Dak that would be a disaster if they ever had to play for any amount of time.

This guy has proven he is what you want in a backup qb. Give us a chance to win, not limit the offense, and actually play well in crunch time.

I would extend him now to a competitive backup QB salary and lock him up for a few years so we don't have to worry about it anymore.
Quality veteran back ups range from 4 to 7 million a year. If Rush will take the lower end of that, Id definitely be willing to extend him

Ken

Reaction score
Quality veteran back ups range from 4 to 7 million a year. If Rush will take the lower end of that, Id definitely be willing to extend him
I think he would.

I think he is happy to have a job and be with the Cowboys. Sure, he has performed but he is a few weeks away from being cut and no one coming to knock on his door.

I know I would jump at some security and money if I were him.

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm not talking about top dollar..the guy is making vet minimum.

Give him some guaranteed money and some security so we don't have to worry about it anymore.
That's a good point. If he's willing to accept a backup role, regardless who the starter is, then let's lock him up to a backup paying contract. He's a perfect backup for us. Can win, knows the system, etc.

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Reaction score
That's a good point. If he's willing to accept a backup role, regardless who the starter is, then let's lock him up to a backup paying contract. He's a perfect backup for us. Can win, knows the system, etc.
Jimmy G. just took a backup contract, shockingly. Albeit more than what I would want to pay Rush.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Geez
We have 20 mil in cap space
We can sign anyone we want to
No reason to extend rush, he has a two year deal
Eventually we will have to pay big bucks for Dak and I don't think he is worth it.

conner01

Reaction score
Eventually we will have to pay big bucks for Dak and I don't think he is worth it.
We’ve got plenty of time
He’s under contract
And when you have a top 10 QB you better have a plan or pay him
And the only plan that works is tank or give up two or three years of premium picks which is distructive to a team that’s done really well building through the draft

jgboys1

Reaction score
We’ve got plenty of time
He’s under contract
And when you have a top 10 QB you better have a plan or pay him
And the only plan that works is tank or give up two or three years of premium picks which is distructive to a team that’s done really well building through the draft
I wish I thought he was TOP 10 QB. I don't think he is even the best QB in the NFC East.