I would like to hear the arguments of Garrett supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't know if another coach can do better with Jerry as the boss.

Garrett has obvious game management problems and his offensive scheme is questionable; however, things could get worse if Jerry hires another Wade Phillips.

Do you want Jerry to make a another Roy Williams or Joey Galloway trade? Garrett appears to at least put up some resistance to Jerry's meddling which is something that Wade and Campo didn't even try to do.

Wade was light years better than Jason, while having to baby-sit this clown, while his parent, Jerry, didn't allow him to discipline him. See Dan Reeves.

Oh yeah, and Roy Williams was here because of Garrett as well. That had nothing to do with Wade.

khiladi

Reaction score
I think the biggest draw in Garrett's favor is that keeping him allows the relatively solid drafts to continue...and there's a certain amount of consistency that would allow the roster to continue to be built a certain way.

I think the biggest con against Garrett is that the game management is still troubling after all these years. And ultimately no matter how many ways you slice it, that's a concern for even the most ardent supporter.

Some more tight ends?

khiladi

Reaction score
I was off the bandwagon during Wades tenure when it was clear long ago how he hides behind others for his own failures and let's others take the fall, while he takes credit. The clearest example of this was when Wade took the blame for Ginger,a pathetic dump off pass play to Choice when they had like eighty yards to go and he fumbled and we lost. Guy has been hiding behind others since he's been here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I have no problem with dumping Garrett at this point. The results speak for themselves. Would love to bring in an offensive guru, but I don't know if the players are smart enough to adapt.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm on record in the other mega-fire-Garrett thread already. But, in a nutshell, I think there's no excuse for audibling out of a run on offense in position to run the clock down. I don't care if it's on Romo or Callahan, or Garrett, the buck should stop with the head coach on that, and he should be in the headset if he needs to be to make sure we're working the clock down. This is the series Demarco Murray was yelling about, to be clear. It was really, really stupid.

That said, our biggest issue is just that we became defenseless as soon as we lost the backup LBs we had in there, especially Durant at MLB. Our defense is an absolute trainwreck, and no matter where the buck stops for that, it's not very realistic to beat up on the coordinators for not being able to fix it on the fly.

The biggest issue for Garrett now, though, is the way in which we've lost the last few games. We got toyed with in one, and we got the rug yanked out form under us in this one. While I still like everything I always liked about him as a coach, I also think he's pretty close to losing the team for good right now. It's a tall order to think we'd fix the defense in an offseason without another change at coordinator and without introducing a lot of unknowns to the equation. I'm concerned he doesn't have enough runway to make the changes he needs to make. In short, I'd be worried we'd lose a game or two early, and then lose the team altogether. That's a lot of risk to justify giving the guy one more season.

So, I think he needs to win the East, and he probably needs to win a home playoff game, too, to keep his job. I can't see how we can realistically do either of those things with the current defensive personnel. So, I'd bet he's gone after this season, and it will be the right decision.

I do still like the guy a lot, though, and think that many posters don't like him for all the wrong reasons. I hope I'm wrong, and the new guy brings in a positive new direction and a real change in our late season fortunes.

Excellent post bro.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Two full pages without anyone offering a good reason to retain Garrett. Wow!

Other than "the one who will remain nameless".......................and we all know who that is without naming any names..................everybody else considers Garrett a joke now after Aikman basically called him an idiot on national TV with "inexcusable game management".

Aikman drove a stake right through Garrett's heart with that commentary (and justifiably so)................................no coming back from that.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Maybe JJ will fire Garrett after the season for all his vote of confidence blah blah. JJ handed Wade Phillips a 2-year extension in '10, then canned him 8 games into the season. Think it's the 7-7 and near-proximity to a playoff spot that's keeping JJ from doing it right now.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Other than "the one who will remain nameless".......................and we all know who that is without naming any names..................everybody else considers Garrett a joke now after Aikman basically called him an idiot on national TV with "inexcusable game management".

Aikman drove a stake right through Garrett's heart with that commentary (and justifiably so)................................no coming back from that.

Haven't heard from him yet. Really interested to read what he has to say

visionary

Reaction score
After he got immediate results from a bunch of quitters, I thought he had earned the job. Since that time I don't think he's shown much to suggest he should keep the job and likely has shown more than enough to have lost the job a long time ago.

I was off the bandwagon a while ago. At this point I can't imagine that bus has many passengers seeing how it's on course to drive into the Grand Canyon.

My thoughts exactly

visionary

Reaction score

Some people consider themselves knowledgeable about football and have supported Garrett as the second coming and ridiculed other posters on this issue even though it was abundantly clear Garrett was in over his head

Their egos and their legitimacy as beacons of football knowledge is tied to Garrett's success and they cannot bear to admit they were wrong because they would lose the ability to ridicule other posters and post glib one-liners showing that they are 'better fans' .

All you will get from them is the "yeah but..." Excuse making and double talk which though nauseating, is the norm for them

Some of these have already posted in this thread , all you need to do is read the thread to know who some of them are.

Falcon554

Reaction score
Was never for JG to be head coach, it was just given to him for really no reason. He might be a good one down the line but we did not need a learning on the job head coach for sure

Smith22

Reaction score
I can't stand his lack of game management skills. Also, as mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem like he gives us any particular advantage being HC. He struggles to find creative ways to get Dez the ball. He refuses to run the ball. His game management skills are lackluster to say the least. I'm done with him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I can't stand his lack of game management skills. Also, as mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem like he gives us any particular advantage being HC. He struggles to find creative ways to get Dez the ball. He refuses to run the ball. His game management skills are lackluster to say the least. I'm done with him.

So accurate that it's disturbing.

He especially gives us no particular advantage and actually aids the opposing teams(head coaches).

You don't throw your franchise QB under a bus as a head coach, period.

Disagree. He deserved it.
The bus should have been put in reverse and ran him over again.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Disagree. He deserved it.
The bus should have been put in reverse and ran him over again.

I also think that it was Ok for Red to say thaat Romo changed the play, since this is not the first time that Romo has (allegedly) done this with bad results. It needed to be said. The $100 million QB is allowed to be accountable as well.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I guess I need to change my name to Voldemort. I knew he was talking about me just like you did. Had to be pointed to this thread by someone else. They knew who he was talking about too. I don't read this forum here, just the Fan Zone.

My opinion has not changed. Nor has my optimism waned. We're going to win the NFC East. We're going to go into Fed Ex in a sea of blue because Commanders fans have given up, and we are going to have a home game atmosphere. Then we're going to come home and take care of business. I honestly believe this, and I don't care who disagrees. I am entitled to my opinions just as they are to theirs.

Speaking of opinions. No one could coach a winner with this many key injuries. People will call that an excuse. Let them. I don't care. I believe Atlanta has not overcome key injuries either, and I do not believe any other team has had to have a patchwork Defense like we have.

Our Offense on the other hand, is scoring and we will need to rely on them while trying to get healthy.

I don't believe Jason Garrett is going to be fired, and I think that all of the threads about it are a waste of time. So I don't read them. I know people are sick of my opinion that he is the right man to turn this around, so I am not posting more on this beyond this response. If anyone wants clarification PM me. I'll read responses here, but I have no interest in this whine fest. I am sure there will be some doozies. My apologies to the Mods. Preemptive strike.

So, now people have heard from me, and they can make all kinds of ridiculous comments about me liking Garrett more than I like the team. Not at all true, and never has been. I'll be a fan long after he is gone, and will not be rooting for any other team he may coach. It has always been about the Dallas Cowboys for me, and I am sorry for the results folks, but the best man for this job is a man who actually believes in this team, and doing things the right way, and Garrett does. When his players execute, and they will, we will become a contender. I firmly believe there is a right way to do that, and this is it. I'm not ashamed of the adversity this team has faced because I believe you need it in order to become stronger.

Just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas to one and all. Go Cowboys. Always.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I guess I need to change my name to Voldemort. I knew he was talking about me just like you did. Had to be pointed to this thread by someone else. They knew who he was talking about too. I don't read this forum here, just the Fan Zone.

My opinion has not changed. Nor has my optimism waned. We're going to win the NFC East. We're going to go into Fed Ex in a sea of blue because Commanders fans have given up, and we are going to have a home game atmosphere. Then we're going to come home and take care of business. I honestly believe this, and I don't care who disagrees. I am entitled to my opinions just as they are to theirs.

Speaking of opinions. No one could coach a winner with this many key injuries. People will call that an excuse. Let them. I don't care. I believe Atlanta has not overcome key injuries either, and I do not believe any other team has had to have a patchwork Defense like we have.

Our Offense on the other hand, is scoring and we will need to rely on them while trying to get healthy.

I don't believe Jason Garrett is going to be fired, and I think that all of the threads about it are a waste of time. So I don't read them. I know people are sick of my opinion that he is the right man to turn this around, so I am not posting more on this beyond this response. If anyone wants clarification PM me. I'll read responses here, but I have no interest in this whine fest. I am sure there will be some doozies. My apologies to the Mods. Preemptive strike.

So, now people have heard from me, and they can make all kinds of ridiculous comments about me liking Garrett more than I like the team. Not at all true, and never has been. I'll be a fan long after he is gone, and will not be rooting for any other team he may coach. It has always been about the Dallas Cowboys for me, and I am sorry for the results folks, but the best man for this job is a man who actually believes in this team, and doing things the right way, and Garrett does. When his players execute, and they will, we will become a contender. I firmly believe there is a right way to do that, and this is it. I'm not ashamed of the adversity this team has faced because I believe you need it in order to become stronger.

Just my 2 cents. Merry Christmas to one and all. Go Cowboys. Always.
This thread was in the Fan Zone for quite a while, I didn't even notice it got moved (not sure why it got moved but anyway. .) I know you said you won't reply anymore, but what do you think about us essentially abandoning the run in the 2nd half?

Status
Not open for further replies.