I would love to see Crawford go

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I know what you were saying I just hate that is what it's become. And we know he isn't going to take an $8milll pay cut.

No, he's not, nor should he. It's not his fault the Cowboys gave him that deal. He must have been giddy. I think fans often complain too much about contracts, but that one left me scratching my head. Crawford had not earned that kind of money when they gave him that contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to keep him at the right price, because he is solid depth at both DE and DT. The pay would have to reflect his role though.

That's where I'm at too. I've been highly critical of him and his contract in the past, but he's not an awful player . And he's a team guy, playing wherever and whatever role they need him to. That counts with me.

But next year they can get out if his current, awful contract. And it's been awful, that's undeniable. But I wouldn't mind if they could then work out a reasonable deal with a solid rotational player and team guy to stay here and retire as a Cowboy.

I hope that both sides would be reasonable and amenable to such a compromise.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Do you have any data that proves this is correct compared to market value?
No but why. You don't pay average players like there good and you don't resign average players to begin with. Someone comparable can be found in the 3rd round or later of the draft. Someone like the guy who took his job from him. Someone like Malik Collins

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford gets way too much crap from this fan base. He may not be worth his full salary, but he’s been worth more than what a lot of you cares to admit. He’s been moved around more than an army brat since he signed his deal and played pretty well wherever they need him to go. He may get pushed off next year, but he isn’t just some scrub like so many seem to make him out to be.

Ditto this. Seems a lot of fans can only deal in extremes, so if he isn't the top player they believe he is paid to be, that means he must be a terrible player. Not much logic to that viewpoint. The player clearly has value, it just isn't as the kind of player the Cowboys expected when they gave him the contract.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No, he's not, nor should he. It's not his fault the Cowboys gave him that deal. He must have been giddy. I think fans often complain too much about contracts, but that one left me scratching my head. Crawford had not earned that kind of money when they gave him that contract.

Kinda contradicting, don't you think?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Crawford gets way too much crap from this fan base. He may not be worth his full salary, but he’s been worth more than what a lot of you cares to admit. He’s been moved around more than an army brat since he signed his deal and played pretty well wherever they need him to go. He may get pushed off next year, but he isn’t just some scrub like so many seem to make him out to be.
He is a scrub for the money but it isn't his fault. Jerry is braindead and paid a guy all that money on wishful thinking. I wish jerry owned the place where I worked and get paid for possible unproven future production. He is playing out of position his natural position is a 3-4 end. He is an average starter. He should probably be making half of what he is. If he was making what he should 3-4 million a year no1 would complain. The fact that he is one of the most paid players on the team is an absolute joke. That's a fact based on his production. The Cowboy's fanbase that loves to hold on to and defend just "guys" is unbelievable. He's a rotational player getting paid 9 mil a year. If you are ok with that. Do you own a business and can I work for you?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Who said I was complaining that they didn't pay for Watkins? In fact, I've argued multiple times in other threads that would have been a big mistake.

My only point was you said their organization plan is not to sign pricey FAs but this very offseason they tried to sign a pricey FA, which undercuts your "fact".

How did you miss that basic point?

Dallas wanted to sign Watkins but not for 16 million a year how is that so hard to understand? Hence the not wanting to buy expensive FA. How does that undercut my facts?

Nobody thought Watkins would command that kind of coin in FA this year.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He is probably overpaid based on pure stats. But he is versatile, hard working and a leader. He was NOT ever a DT. The team saw a strong, quick guy that had a good year playing inside. Its been said over and over again that he does not have the body type to take the pounding inside on a regular basis.

Last year was his first full year playing primarily at DE. He is very good against the run. He will get better as a pass rusher. And I think the plan is still to move him inside on passing downs.

This is most likely either his last year with Dallas and he goes to a team that can better utilize his talent or he stays here with a reduced contract.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
No but why. You don't pay average players like there good and you don't resign average players to begin with. Someone comparable can be found in the 3rd round or later of the draft. Someone like the guy who took his job from him. Someone like Malik Collins

Why? You can’t spout off numbers and what you “feel” is highway robbery unless you know what market value is for good solid depth with position flex.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
unfotunatly gonna have to wait a year. This guy eats up a bunch of money and isn't a fit for any position along the line. He was signed by the smarts to be the next best 3 tech and since then he's been kicked outside and produces nothing but meaningless ineffective hurries. Can't wait to see him go.

One of our better defensive players.

Weird to see so many want our team to be worse next year.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Dallas wanted to sign Watkins but not for 16 million a year how is that so hard to understand? Hence the not wanting to buy expensive FA. How does that undercut my facts?

Nobody thought Watkins would command that kind of coin in FA this year.

All the reports that have come out state that the Cowboys basically offered the same deal as KC, but he chose them over us, for whatever reasons.

I am soooo glad he did. We dodged a bullet there.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
All the reports that have come out state that the Cowboys basically offered the same deal as KC, but he chose them over us, for whatever reasons.

I am soooo glad he did. We dodged a bullet there.

Has anyone in the org confirmed this?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Why? You can’t spout off numbers and what you “feel” is highway robbery unless you know what market value is for good solid depth with position flex.
You been drinking the Jerry kool aid too long. Position flex is only valuable if you are a depth guy not a starter. And you can fill in when a person goes down. The market for a rotational d lineman is what 4 million tops. He's getting paid 9 mill. I wish the team would stop paying average players and let them go out to pasture. At this point in crawford's career he is who he is. He's not going to all of a sudden have a breakout year.

robjay04

Reaction score
They complain because it directly impacts the quality of other players that the team can afford to sign. Therefore, players salaries have a direct impact on the quality of the team and its ability to win. That is why fans care about salaries.

It is an important part of every sport that has a salary cap. NBA fans worry about salaries, and NHL fans also worry about salaries because it directly affects their teams success.

It does and it doesn’t.

This team was in a position even with Dez and Crawford’s cap number to be significant players in free agency this season. Our cap may look tight this year but it’s a mirage especially when you consider the flexibility we have next season.

This team chooses not chase the “quality” you speak of not entirely because the salary cap but mainly because they don’t think it’s good business to overpay for a player that another team that knows them best decided they were not good enough to keep around.

I’m not saying it’s right...but even if we could free our hands of Crawford right now with no dead money, I doubt we would’ve pushed any harder for any free agent.

Just like I doubt we make a push next season unless it’s a player we really like even though we will have flexibility.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

We've been trying to find a player as good as Crawford for years, and we've only found one. Lawrence.

Tell us again how we can find someone comparable in the 3rd round, if its that easy for you get the FO on the phone immediately

And lmao at Collins "taking his job from him", what a misinformed post.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
One of our better defensive players.

Weird to see so many want our team to be worse next year.
Just because he is one of OUR better players doesn't mean **** when our defense can't do anything every year. Just like Bumdrick O he's our best corner (for 1 season). But compared to the other 31 teams these guys would be lucky to even start. And if they did start they would just be stop gaps for a future pick or they get a better free agent with a higher ceiling.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You been drinking the Jerry kool aid too long. Position flex is only valuable if you are a depth guy not a starter. And you can fill in when a person goes down. The market for a rotational d lineman is what 4 million tops. He's getting paid 9 mill. I wish the team would stop paying average players and let them go out to pasture. At this point in crawford's career he is who he is. He's not going to all of a sudden have a breakout year.

Yet you claim I’m the one drinking Jerry’s Kool Aid. When in fact the poster clearly stated DEPTH. Follow along