I would not pay WR's big money

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion
the problem I see is WR take longer to develope at the NFL level but yes i agree. Will the whole. Big contract thing collapse after sometime

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just forgot Ben Rothlisberger.

If you leave out Montana, that's 8 QB's over 30 years. I don't think Brett Favre was on this rookie deal, but he may be #9.

The point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are no guarantees one way or the other

There’s not many ways to skin a cat these days with the price of QBs soaring. The QB market started to skyrocket just a few years ago. So far Patrick Mahomes is the only QB to win a Super Bowl since the QB salaries soared. The game has changed since those teams decades ago were winning SBs with QBs on their rookie contracts. You could win by just running the ball and playing great defense. That’s no longer the case. QBs have to do so much more these days. They have to put the ball up 40+ times and be productive. This is why QB salaries have skyrocketed. Most teams are having to re-sign promising young QBs before they complete their rookie deals. They can’t allow them to play out their rookie contract because they could lose them in free agency or be forced to franchise them. Kyler Murray already wants a new contract.

Reaction score
the problem I see is WR take longer to develope at the NFL level but yes i agree. Will the whole. Big contract thing collapse after sometime
That used to be the case, but not anymore. College's going to pro style offenses result in guys walking into the league and producing right away.

Ja'Marr Chase, Erik Metcalfe and Justin Jefferson are prime examples. And to a smaller degree so is Cee Dee Lamb

Acceptablename

Reaction score
That used to be the case, but not anymore. College's going to pro style offenses result in guys walking into the league and producing right away.

Ja'Marr Chase, Erik Metcalfe and Justin Jefferson are prime examples. And to a smaller degree so is Cee Dee Lamb
The lower graded players are getting the short shaft I dont understand why they and the Union arent screaming for a bigger share of the pie. There are more lower grade worker types

Flamma

Reaction score
You couldn’t be more wrong! Patrick Mahomes is the only QB I can come up with that won a SB on his rookie deal. QB salaries keep going up you’re not going to win a championship these days with a low paid QB or low paid players at other key positions. If you have any postseason success with these players they’re going to want to be paid. Tennessee was having some postseason success with AJ Brown and he wanted to be paid.

I said rookie or low paid deals. Let's see who were the teams in the SB going back a few years. You'd have to go back to 2016 to find a team in the SB that was taking up a good percentage of the cap. Before that you have Wentz, Goff, Mahomes twice on a rookie deal, and Burrow. Brady, Stafford, Garoppolo were small cap hits.

Flamma

Reaction score
It will continue to be teams with QBs on rookie or low pay deals that win SBs? How many teams can you come up with that have won Super Bowls with QBs on their rookie deal? Patrick Mahomes is the only one I can think of. Joe Burrow reached the Super Bowl this past season on his rookie deal but that’s very rare. Matt Stafford won the Super Bowl on a reasonable deal but he wanted out of Detroit and he wanted to win a championship. He’s now making $40 million per. Good luck winning a championship these days with a QB playing on their rookie deal or a low paid veteran QB.

You can't just say 40M a year. You have to look at what they are actually making. Stafford doesn't have a high cap hit until 2024. This year he is 6.7% against the cap. That's lower than some rookie deals. Next year he'll be close to the same, maybe a percentage or 2 more.

Plenty of QBs on rookie or low paid deals for this season.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion
Well your Dumbo GM traded for 2 WR to pay them (Galloway, Williams), did not draft the WR he should have (Moss), paid one to cut him (Bryant), traded for one to resign and trade for nothing (Cooper), and drafted one that he will have to pay after a big year when he has only one starting WR returning (Lamb).

Good luck with Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and WRs Arlington Jonesboys fans.

Flamma

Reaction score
Some people on here actually want to discuss Cowboys football. Go start a thread why Dak sux and leave the football conversation to the big boys.

Try reading the title of the thread before posting. Or drinking.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I said rookie or low paid deals. Let's see who were the teams in the SB going back a few years. You'd have to go back to 2016 to find a team in the SB that was taking up a good percentage of the cap. Before that you have Wentz, Goff, Mahomes twice on a rookie deal, and Burrow. Brady, Stafford, Garoppolo were small cap hits.

You said the teams that will continue to win Super Bowls are the ones with QBs on their rookie deals or QBs with low priced deals. You’re wrong! You can go back several years ago and find lower paid QBs winning SBs before QB salaries inflated but Patrick Mahomes is the only one now because QB salaries have skyrocketed the last four years. I believe he still had two years on his rookie contract when he was extended. Jimmy G signed his big contract in 2018 before he led San Francisco to the Super Bowl. He was the highest paid QB in the league for a short time but that deal pales in comparison to what QBs are making now. If a young QB shows great promise and production you have to extend them before their rookie deal is over. Kyler Murray already wants to be extended. Before long you’re not going to find any teams winning the Super Bowl with a low paid QB.

terra

Reaction score
Before long some of you numbies are going to find yourselves saying pay no one. See how well that works.

Flamma

Reaction score
You said the teams that will continue to win Super Bowls are the ones with QBs on their rookie deals or QBs with low priced deals. You’re wrong! You can go back several years ago and find lower paid QBs winning SBs before QB salaries inflated but Patrick Mahomes is the only one now because QB salaries have skyrocketed the last four years. I believe he still had two years on his rookie contract when he was extended. Jimmy G signed his big contract in 2018 before he led San Francisco to the Super Bowl. He was the highest paid QB in the league for a short time but that deal pales in comparison to what QBs are making now. If a young QB shows great promise and production you have to extend them before their rookie deal is over. Kyler Murray already wants to be extended. Before long you’re not going to find any teams winning the Super Bowl with a low paid QB.

I'm just talking recent history, and using the system they're using today. Garoppolo was around a 10% cap hit when they went to the SB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm just talking recent history, and using the system they're using today. Garoppolo was around a 10% cap hit when they went to the SB.

Regardless the cap hit he wasn’t on a low paid deal. Teams have ways of freeing up cap space regardless what their QB is making.

Flamma

Reaction score
Regardless the cap hit he wasn’t on a low paid deal.

I'm only concerned about cap hits and how they affect their team. Cleveland gave Watson a monster deal, but his cap hit for 2022 is extremely low. Lower than some rookie cap hits. In 2023 he'll be a problem. Allen is on the last year of his rookie contract. They got big deals, but they're not yet negatively affecting their teams.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm only concerned about cap hits and how they affect their team. Cleveland gave Watson a monster deal, but his cap hit for 2022 is extremely low. Lower than some rookie cap hits. In 2023 he'll be a problem. Allen is on the last year of his rookie contract. They got big deals, but they're not yet negatively affecting their teams.

I’m going back to what you originally said. You said teams with QBs on their rookie deals and low paid QBs will continue winning Super Bowls. That’s not going to happen. Regardless what Deshaun Watson’s cap hit is going to be he’s not a low paid QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’m going back to what you originally said. You said teams with QBs on their rookie deals and low paid QBs will continue winning Super Bowls. That’s not going to happen. Regardless what Deshaun Watson’s cap hit is going to be he’s not a low paid QB.

Yeah, I meant low paid against the cap. Sorry for the confusion. I can see where you would find that ridiculous if you thought I meant poorly paid QBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant low paid against the cap. Sorry for the confusion. I can see where you would find that ridiculous if you thought I meant poorly paid QBs.

Regardless what your meant it’s going to be more difficult to do it against the cap with QB and WR money continuing to soar. We’ve already had two teams forced to trade away elite WRs. Russell Wilson got traded. These inflated salaries are making it very tough on teams.

cowboyec

Reaction score
ceedee lamb is gonna be very,very expensive to keep.
that was one reason why i wanted arkansas wr treylon burks.
in 2023...wouldn't hate tcu wr quentin johnston.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Packers and Chiefs got outbid for their own guys. They were still willing to pay those guys massive amounts of money. Also, I 'm not sure why Ja'marr Chase is an exception for the argument you are trying to make.

Justin Jefferson is easily as good, as are others. Seems pretty subjective to me.
If you're going to pay a WR, u pay a nasty route runner like Kupp. Those are the guys who win you super bowls.

Flamma

Reaction score
Regardless what your meant it’s going to be more difficult to do it against the cap with QB and WR money continuing to soar. We’ve already had two teams forced to trade away elite WRs. Russell Wilson got traded. These inflated salaries are making it very tough on teams.

Not a single thing here I disagree with. GMs are just going to have to manage their players cap hits to account for this. Maybe stagger them.