I would not pay WR's big money

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not a single thing here I disagree with. GMs are just going to have to manage their players cap hits to account for this. Maybe stagger them.

It’s a dilemma every team will have to deal with in the coming years. Really hate to see teams have to break up these great QB/WR tandems. It’s going to be very interesting to see how Cincinnati handles Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase. We all know Burrow will command 40+ million. He may even push $50 million by the time he’s up. One can only imagine the kind of money Chase is going to demand if he picks up where he left off last season.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s a dilemma every team will have to deal with in the coming years. Really hate to see teams have to break up these great QB/WR tandems. It’s going to be very interesting to see how Cincinnati handles Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr Chase. We all know Burrow will command 40+ million. One can only imagine the kind of money Chase is going to demand if he picks up where he left off last season.

They'll be together for many years before that has to happen. But it's up to the Bengals. Burrow will sign an extension after this season. His cap hit won't be a problem until 2025 or 2026. Same with Chase if they extend him 2 years from now. Only his big cap hit won't happen until a year after Burrow's. But like I said, it's up to the Bengals. They may not want to pay a WR that much money and trade him in a few years.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion
Packers and Chiefs have QBs

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They'll be together for many years before that has to happen. But it's up to the Bengals. Burrow will sign an extension after this season. His cap hit won't be a problem until 2025 or 2026. Same with Chase if they extend him 2 years from now. Only his big cap hit won't happen until a year after Burrow's. But like I said, it's up to the Bengals. They may not want to pay a WR that much money and trade him in a few years.

I don’t think it’s going be that simple for the Bengals. They’ll probably figure out a way but good luck. Burrow could want 50+ million. By the time Chase wants his new deal he may be commanding somewhere around $35 million per. That was top QB money just three years ago. It’s going to be hard keeping a solid team together with two players making that kind of money. There’s only so many ways you can massage the cap. At some point it catches up with teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s going be that simple for the Bengals. They’ll probably figure out a way but good luck. Burrow could want 50+ million. By the time Chase wants his new deal he may be commanding somewhere around $35 million per. That was top QB money just three years ago. It’s going to be hard keeping a solid team together with two players making that kind of money. There’s only so many ways you can massage the cap. At some point it catches up with teams.

Well yeah. The idea is to not have both being big cap hits at the same time. There are several ways to do this. I mentioned one that gives them around 6 years together. Another way would be to just let Chase play out his 5 year rookie deal. That gives them 5 years together. How much more can we expect in today's game?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well yeah. The idea is to not have both being big cap hits at the same time. There are several ways to do this. I mentioned one that gives them around 6 years together. Another way would be to just let Chase play out his 5 year rookie deal. That gives them 5 years together. How much more can we expect in today's game?

We’re not going to go into what ways it can be done because neither one of us are capologists. I do know from listening to Stephen Jones that eventually having to pay a player and restructuring contracts eventually catches up with you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion

WR's are made by the QB just like RB's are made by the line. Now sure there are exceptions and some of the receivers are amazing. But none are worth 20 million or over.

All these salaries are getting stupid. I look forward to the day when the owners take back the league from all these pampered big babies and their overblown salaries. In a way, its the owners fault for letting it get like this. They only have themselves to blame.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But according to some on here, Dallas would not be able to afford big deals because of Dak's contract.
But for other teams, it is because they figured out they don't need too, they can replace them in the draft.

So the same holds true for GB & KC as well. Their QB's got huge contracts, therefore can't afford the player around them.
Dallas dumps Cooper and his contract, sign Gallop for less, draft Tolbert, but yet some on here do not like that, some do.

I do agree, don't give out the huge contracts. Maybe they learned with Zeke, but Dak's it was the going QB rate, though it doesn't make it right.

Dak's contract is dumb too. Nobody is worth that. But at least the QB position is the most important.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Just my opinion
Chiefs and Packers have figured this out? How? They haven't even played a game without Hill and Adams.

You play your best players. Eagles were smart to pay AJ Brown.

You talk about how easy it is to find a receiver? They took Reagor in the 1st round and he looks like a bust, Nelson Agholor in the 1st...bust, JJ Artega Whiteside in the 2nd round...bust...its not nearly as easy as you make it sound.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So far we have Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes that won Super Bowls on their rookie deal. Anyone who plans on moving on from a young QB after their rookie deal because they haven’t won a Super Bowl is not likely to ever win a SB unless they like working with Powerball odds.

Half the guys there won them after thier rookie deals as well, so there goes the theory.

Flacco won throwing for 100 yards a game and so did Wilson so that means nothing.

Kurt Warner won on his rookie deal? The guy was bouncing all over the league and was bagging groceries for a year.

The rookie contract thing is a myth. The ONLY time that is even possible is if you have a complete team already in place and you add a young franchise QB to the mix and drop him in. Even then its difficult.

How many teams have a ready made SB caliber team? SF I would say is one. And they are paying Jimmy G 30 million a year at the moment.

And to expect a franchise to throw away every great QB before they sign a new deal is laughable.

Hill is gone because he wanted 30 million and KC got a windfall. Not because Mahomes is getting 45 million.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Just my opinion
Packers wanted to keep Adam's. He asked to be traded.

The chiefs could not afford Hill.

Also LOL @ Chase somehow being the exception.

Next.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Chiefs and Packers have figured this out? How? They haven't even played a game without Hill and Adams.

You play your best players. Eagles were smart to pay AJ Brown.

You talk about how easy it is to find a receiver? They took Reagor in the 1st round and he looks like a bust, Nelson Agholor in the 1st...bust, JJ Artega Whiteside in the 2nd round...bust...its not nearly as easy as you make it sound.

Eagles were dumb to pay Brown. The only reason they did is because they were so bad at it. They made some of the dumbest WR mistakes in the draft I have ever seen.

Eagles obviously suck at drafting WR's. That isnt a league wide issue.

rambo2

Reaction score
Eagles were dumb to pay Brown. The only reason they did is because they were so bad at it. They made some of the dumbest WR mistakes in the draft I have ever seen.

Eagles obviously suck at drafting WR's. That isnt a league wide issue.
The Giants are screwing up too. We should thank them for reaching on the guy they took at 43. They helped Tolbert fall to the Cowboys at 88.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just forgot Ben Rothlisberger.

If you leave out Montana, that's 8 QB's over 30 years. I don't think Brett Favre was on this rookie deal, but he may be #9.

The point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are no guarantees one way or the other

Its pointless because Ben and half the others won again after their rookie deals.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Giants are screwing up too. We should thank them for reaching on the guy they took at 43. They helped Tolbert fall to the Cowboys at 88.

The Eagles are trying desperately to help Hurts succeed because they know he needs lots of help. If Hurts doesnt work out they are screwed.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The Eagles are trying desperately to help Hurts succeed because they know he needs lots of help. If Hurts doesnt work out they are screwed.
If Hurts doesn't work out they'll be drafting early and select a qb.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Hurts doesn't work out they'll be drafting early and select a qb.

Yep and no guarantee he works out. And there is no guarantee they will be drafting high enough.

This AJ Brown trade could be for nothing. A little big of bad luck as this was a bad year for QB in the draft.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yep and no guarantee he works out. And there is no guarantee they will be drafting high enough.

This AJ Brown trade could be for nothing. A little big of bad luck as this was a bad year for QB in the draft.
If Hurts doesn't work out how WON'T they be drafting high?

If he works out they'll be drafting low.

In this dumb hypothetical you can't have the qb sucking and the team still winning all these games.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Hurts doesn't work out how WON'T they be drafting high?

If he works out they'll be drafting low.

In this dumb hypothetical you can't have the qb sucking and the team still winning all these games.

Hurts has been sucking and are they drafting high? Middle of the pack. The guy keeps them competitive with his legs, but if forced to play QB from the pocket he cant get it done.

Garrappolo sucks and they almost made the SB. Mayfield sucks and that team has made the playoffs.

You need anymore dumb examples? LOL I cant help you if you are still confused.

Last edited: