I would not pay WR's big money

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Drafting a good one every year is not true. You don’t always hit on them. The Cowboys have a couple of good WRs and one of them is injured and may end up on PUP the first few weeks of the regular season. We’ll have to see what the rookie has in camp. CeeDee has never had to deal with being the number one receiver for us. With Cooper gone all the coverage will roll over to him. He’s going to have to step up the season and eliminate the drops. He only had one catch against San Francisco in the playoffs.
All that is accurate but again if you draft 1 every year you don't need to hit on them all. And you don't need more than one guy to be WR1.
Amari wasn't that productive last year in per target or per catch numbers.
Definitely a legit WR1 over his time in Dallas but last year was a major decline and it's OK to walk away a year early as opposed to a year late.
Dallas FO battled Dez in media and finally relented to sign him but then he never really was the same after the big money and injury.
Big money WRs haven't been that great in Dallas.

WRs are plentiful. Dallas could go get a WR right now, today like Will Fuller or some other proven vet.
The NFL draft is putting out about 12 per year in the first 2 rounds.
Thats simply a lot of bodies.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion
so some teams figured it out, others traded draft stock and overpaid ?? :huh::lmao:

whose correct?? LOL neither and that's on you as well..some qbs, some rbs, , some WRs, some Des , some OL etc will deserve the top 5 money..

you cant be teams like the jets who trade everyone after 4 year and redraft LOL there's a balance my man and sometimes you have to pay your stars you can NOT just live and die with the draft.

the rams paid quite a bit for all the above at some point. they had nearly no draft picks this season or the next,

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let's not compare Dallas to KC and GB. Dak is not Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers. This is starting to get F'ing ridiculous already. It's night and day!! It's a 100 dollar bill compared to a 5. There's a reason teams like the Saints, Steelers, Packers, Chiefs, Patriots, are all contenders every year and the Cowboys, Jets, Colts, Vikings, Eagles, and similar trash aren't. They all had elite QBs. DAK IS NOT IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. Please stop with the comparisons. The same doesn't hold true for Dallas, KC and GB in any respect at all!! ZERO. We can't make any comparisons here because there is none. We can't compare teams with elite QBs, probable hall of fame QBs to a team with a QB we're still trying to determine is better than Kirk Cousins.

The only thing similar with Dallas, KC, and GB, is if they want to win a SB they'll have to overcome with defense. Because they're not beating these teams with good QBs on rookie deals.

really the saints the team with brees that went 7-9 3 straight years and have had some up and down years of late that team is a contender EVERY YEAR LMAO.. KC only of late but took 50 years to get back to a SB, that team??, what is it only the chiefs of the last 4 seasons LOL cherry pick much ..steelers?? when's the last time they truly contended remind me because your use of every YEAR sure is full of holes..

dak maybe not those 100$ bills but hes worth a 50 and a 20 brah a 5??!! what troll hating fan..its obvious.. same universe yes both live in the US the milky way i believe but yes they are elite one of maybe 3-4 per era claim that tag not as big gap as most want to claim. daks next tier after that

blueblood70

Reaction score
Typical double standard stuff.
troll city such exaggeration and some very bad examples. Cherry pick the teams who just now got good..havent seen the Saints(left out 3- 7-9 season in row) and steelers do much the last 5 years , chiefs had a recent resurgence but took 50 years before that to get back to a SB..

sure NE cream of the crop until TB12 left GB always there..well close

wow opuit of 32 teams we sure are very behind 2-3 teams..lol
:popcorn:
flamms opinion is worth $5 if you give me back 4.98..:muttley::lmao:

jay94

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion

This is false, the Packers wanted to pay Adams, he was just frustrated and wanted out. With Hill he had off the field issues, it was at a deeper level. It's a passing league now, honestly think WR is as important as LT or a notch below. We were idiots getting rid of Cooper and we will likely see regression out of Dak unless Tolbert over delivers. At this point I would not give Lamb a top 5 contract, but to out right disregard the position would be foolish, Dak really has yet to elevate players besides maybe Shultz. I would argue having a top 3 trio of receivers helped him more then Dak.

plasticman

Reaction score
There are some WR's that deserve the money but only a few, really.

Historically, the receivers that were considered the best were not the ones with the huge regular season numbers. Their numbers were good but not necessarily gawdy.

This is where a lot of fans and even some media incorrectly determine the value of the player. You see, to be considered elite as a WR you not only produce respectable numbers in the regular season.

A WR's true value comes with those moments that the entire football world has their eyes that game and the WR delivers.

Who caught the "Helmet Catch" to help win Super Bowl 42 ?

Who was the leader in receiving yards that season?

See what I mean?

The "best" receivers are thr ones with efficient regular season numbers in addition to executing big plays in in the biggest games.

Flamma

Reaction score
These new deals are 25 million or more.

Did having those guys on the team win us a championship?

Yeah, but the cap hits aren't immediately 25M. You have to worry about the team you have in the current year. But eventually I guess you're right. It is like 1 WR and change.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Just my opinion

Aside from Gallup, a JAG who was nonetheless productive in squirts, we have no proven WR "stars." Pay them commensurate with their previous year's production. Because their collective production from 2021 is weak.

And Gallup better be ready to pay. Lingering injuries like these in the 1950s-2000 were called fakers and were not turning our Cowboys into rehab centers like now.
Not healthy? We can't use you, by gum!
Injured? Injury settlement and don't spend it all in one weekend in Atlanta.
Blimey, I am glad I got tha off me chest.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'd pay one WR, my QB, and the offensive line. That's 7 on offense. The rest of my skill position players only need to be serviceable, not great.

My 7 on defense would be the back seven. I'd let DT's and DE's come and go.
:eek:

You are the GM of me dreams.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah, but the cap hits aren't immediately 25M. You have to worry about the team you have in the current year. But eventually I guess you're right. It is like 1 WR and change.
This rookie qb thing is ridiculous anyway. How many rookie qbs can you really win with?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Aside from Gallup, a JAG who was nonetheless productive in squirts, we have no proven WR "stars." Pay them commensurate with their previous year's production. Because their collective production from 2021 is weak.

And Gallup better be ready to pay. Lingering injuries like these in the 1950s-2000 were called fakers and were not turning our Cowboys into rehab centers like now.
Not healthy? We can't use you, by gum!
Injured? Injury settlement and don't spend it all in one weekend in Atlanta.
Blimey, I am glad I got tha off me chest.

You should be an NFL analyst.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I don't care what his qbr was, he sucks. The game is still a bit too fast for him. If his first read isn't there he usually takes off. The Eagles started winning games despite him. They switched to a run heavy offense against weaker opponents down the stretch.
I always appreciate when people say "I don't care what the facts are."

Makes them very easy to ignore.

Flamma

Reaction score
This rookie qb thing is ridiculous anyway. How many rookie qbs can you really win with?

I don't think any starting rookie QBs ever made it to a SB. I think it's the rookie contract in general. The 5th year option is no longer a bargain. I think it's over 20M for QBs.

Flamma

Reaction score
I always appreciate when people say "I don't care what the facts are."

Makes them very easy to ignore.

You gave me a number. Something stat heads like to do when they have nothing else. I gave you facts about what actually happened on the field. What took place is what matters. Not some ambiguous rating.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That’s what I thought, you wanted the discount. So don’t act like you root for the player. Lol

Nfl has gotten worse. Lots of fans are fed up

That’s an anecdote in a vacuum. Overall, all numbers are up, it’s more popular than ever

Havic

Reaction score
I am only paying big money to a WR who is a game changer, being "very good" is not enough.

Verdict

Reaction score

Just my opinion
I think it’s like every other position. You must consider the cap ramifications of signing the player and what you get in terms of production for your cap dollar.

Actually I think you can include QB in that discussion as well. If you don’t have one in the top 5-10 QBs in the league, don’t pay them. Churn them if they won’t sign at a reasonable deal and draft another one or two.

Far too many QBs “wash out” not because they are not good enough but because they don’t have a good enough supporting cast to perform. If we had replaced Dak with another QB I’m not sure that our overall record would look that much different.

Teams have won SBs with Trent Dilfer types. It can be done. As good as Peyton Manning was he only won two SBs in large part due to the fact that his cap hit prevented the team from assembling talent around him.

Flamma

Reaction score
i want to keep ceedee lamb.
but he's gon'be xpensive.

It depends. If he had a good year, he's going to want no less than 25M per. Or what he thinks he'll get on the open market.

If Dallas doesn't want to pay him that they have 2 choices. Trade him after next year. Or let him play out his rookie deal after picking up his 5th year option. Because unless a WR is outstanding, I wouldn't want to give a WR in his late 20sa huge contract.