I would not pay WR's big money

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
With salaries for franchise QBs skyrocketing teams are having to look around them and see where they can keep costs low. RB was one position, and now it is getting to the WR. Unless you have a generational talent at WR who you can afford to pay $25m per , you will go with being frugal at WR, I would include TE as well. The OL is more important than having a $25m WR. Colleges are churning out WR and they are producing in their first and second year.

morasp

Reaction score
Depends on the draft year. We picked Lamb 17th and this year lesser guys were taken higher. Tolbert was one of the few value WR picks ranked 82nd picked 88th.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There's a different system in place now than when Ben was going to super Bowls. Right now it's very advantageous to have a QB on a rookie deal. The Cowboys have to keep restructuring Dak just to get his cap hit to be reasonable.

it only matters if you have a complete team that can carry the qb.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So Eagles will be in "a world of hurt" if Hurts doesnt pan out all the while winning a ton of games and going to the playoffs.

OK bro.
No those are your words. They are putting together a good team. But I highly doubt hurts is the guy.

Flamma

Reaction score
it only matters if you have a complete team that can carry the qb.

Yeah, it's a team sport. If Stafford didn't get that point across, I don't know what will. But there's a big difference with a QB with a 5M cap hit and a QB with a 30M cap hit. Imagine how much more help you can get with that extra 25M. At least for as long as your rookie deal lasts.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
WR's are made by the QB just like RB's are made by the line. Now sure there are exceptions and some of the receivers are amazing. But none are worth 20 million or over.

All these salaries are getting stupid. I look forward to the day when the owners take back the league from all these pampered big babies and their overblown salaries. In a way, its the owners fault for letting it get like this. They only have themselves to blame.

It will always be a players’ league. Nobody roots for the owners. Players have more leverage

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I agree. There are enough good wide receivers coming out every year. Unless you get a generational WR talent like a Moss I wouldn’t be giving them 25 million a year plus. There is a ton of WR talent out there.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out> are you kidding? Who jas led the Chiefs in receiving the past 4 years? Without even looking it is going to be Hill and Kelce, and number 3 wont even be close. So what have they figured out? Have they been using young guys to lead the team at WR?

Look at the Packers, Devante Adams had over 1500 yards last year, the NEXT two leading receivers on the team had 940 yards COMBINED.

The only things the Chiefs learned was they couldnt give Hill the 4 year 120 million dollar extension he got from Miami.

The Packers tried to match the Raiders ridiculous deal, and he told them to go to hell.... so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But according to some on here, Dallas would not be able to afford big deals because of Dak's contract.
But for other teams, it is because they figured out they don't need too, they can replace them in the draft.

So the same holds true for GB & KC as well. Their QB's got huge contracts, therefore can't afford the player around them.
Dallas dumps Cooper and his contract, sign Gallop for less, draft Tolbert, but yet some on here do not like that, some do.

I do agree, don't give out the huge contracts. Maybe they learned with Zeke, but Dak's it was the going QB rate, though it doesn't make it right.

If we had Tyreke Hill, we would have paid him. We didnt have Hill, we had Amari Cooper... they arent close to the same player.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If you draft a WR in the third or fourth round and they develop into an elite receiver you’re going to have to pay them or they’ll be gone after their rookie contract. They’ve become more important than RBs. You can’t just bank on finding another elite receiver in the draft. If you want to build a championship team you can’t allow your playmakers to get away. The way WR and QB salaries are skyrocketing it’s going to split up a number of great QB/WR tandems. It’s already starting to happen. The league is going to have to do something about the salary cap to allow teams to keep these players with their salaries continuing to soar. Cincinnati is going to have a very difficult time re-signing both Joe Burrow and Chase. It’s going to be much more difficult for teams to get by without an elite QB if they don’t have an elite WR. Even an average QB can look pretty good if they have a great receiver.

name me the teams that get by with an elite QB?

It happens ... but what's that saying? Even a blind squirrel fins a nut once in a while.

Antonio Brown was the best WR in football 6 years ago. he was on fire.. Big Ben went down and he immediately became below avg. Dude was catching like 2-3 balls a a game for 17 yards when Ben went down.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wide Receivers are becoming like RB's: tons of them come out every year and you can get good ones in the 3rd and 4th round. And unlike 10 years ago, they produce right away, like RB's.

The Packers and Chiefs have figured this out, which is why they got rid of Adams and Hill. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles will come to regret paying Brown.

Unless you get a guy like Chase, I would not be signing WR's to massive deals. That includes Cee Dee Lamb.

Just my opinion

The eagles are going to regret the AJ Brown deal b/c they don't have a QB who can get him the ball. AJ is going to make a ton of money but he's not going to be happy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
name me the teams that get by with an elite QB?

It happens ... but what's that saying? Even a blind squirrel fins a nut once in a while.

Every team that has an elite QB is in contention. Antonio Brown was the best WR in football 6 years ago. he was on fire.. Big Ben went down and he immediately became below avg. Dude was catching like 2-3 balls a a game for 17 yards when Ben went down.

All WRs are a product of their QB to a certain degree. If you have nothing at QB it’s going to have some affect on your receivers numbers. Jerry Rice is considered the greatest WR in the history of the game and some even say the greatest player but he had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him. Tyreek Hill won’t put up the numbers in Miami that he did with Patrick Mahomes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The eagles are going to regret the AJ Brown deal b/c they don't have a QB who can get him the ball. AJ is going to make a ton of money but he's not going to be happy.

This is why I was / am not concerned about the trade.
The Eagles had 3 - 1st round picks and traded away 2 of them.
1 for a 2023 draft, so they have 2 next year. Maybe they package those for a QB if Hurts fails this year.
1 for a high priced WR, so we will see if that works out or not, and how it impacts their salary cap also.
But then if I was an Eagles fan, I would be excited that they improved their WR group with Brown, the draft pick from last year, and another guy they picked up as well. Still need that QB though, and from what I seen in hurts, he is not that QB. Maybe it makes them harder to cover, therefore opening things up for the QB.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

We got a rookie WR to over 900 yards from Jalen, and AJ’s best season ever was 1000. I think we’ll be able to accommodate.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All WRs are a product of their QB to a certain degree. If you have nothing at QB it’s going to have some effect on your receivers numbers. Jerry Rice is considered the greatest WR in the history of the game and some even say the greatest player but he had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him.

BUT, sometimes, you did need a great wr to show you what you have at QB. It wasn't long ago that Dakota struggled to break 200 yards passing a game. Mid season, we swing a trade for Amari b/c we had to know if the problem was the QB or the WRs. So, every QB needs a baseline of talent. Imagine how many Super Bowls NE would have if they helped Brady out more. He had 1 HOF (randy moss) his entire career in NE. The rest were marginal players with any other QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got a rookie WR to over 900 yards from Jalen, and AJ’s best season ever was 1000. I think we’ll be able to accommodate.

Yep, Hurts gets going against prevent defenses piling up the garbage yards. I'm a huge fan of his and I hope Philly keeps him for the next 10 years. lol

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Offense is more schematic as opposed to go beat your man. It's hard to pay a guy a lot of money if the team thinks they can just scheme the position open.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
All WRs are a product of their QB to a certain degree. If you have nothing at QB it’s going to have some affect on your receivers numbers. Jerry Rice is considered the greatest WR in the history of the game and some even say the greatest player but he had 2 HOF QBs throwing to him. Tyreek Hill won’t put up the numbers in Miami that he did with Patrick Mahomes.

No doubt...Rice was a phenomenal player, but he had 2 of the greatest 10 QBs that ever played the game throwing to him...I dont think it is a stretch to say Young and Rice are both in the top 6. But thats for another day. Rice clearly was the player he was because of those two..... along with being freaking great himself!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
BUT, sometimes, you did need a great wr to show you what you have at QB. It wasn't long ago that Dakota struggled to break 200 yards passing a game. Mid season, we swing a trade for Amari b/c we had to know if the problem was the QB or the WRs. So, every QB needs a baseline of talent. Imagine how many Super Bowls NE would have if they helped Brady out more. He had 1 HOF (randy moss) his entire career in NE. The rest were marginal players with any other QB.

Eli Manning is the perfect example for this. When he had Plaxico, they won a SB and were 12-4 in 2008 before Plax shot himself in a nightclub. Then Eagles truck them in the playoffs and they disappear.

2011 Eli comes back with Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, throws for nearly 5000 yards, has a crazy postseason tear and wins another SB. “Eli just punched his ticket to the HoF!” Nicks falls off the face of the earth, Cruz has injury issues and they disappear again.

2015 they draft Odell Beckham, Cruz is healthy and here we go: 11-5 and everyone is back to “Eli is a HoFer!”