Ian Rapaport re: contracts for Tyron v Dez

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
With Tyron Smith’s deal, it’s nearly impossible to do Dez Bryant’s extension now. Little progress anyway. He may benefit from playing it out
1:43pm - 30 Jul 14

Hope this guy is wrong!

He pretty much is. Rapoport is one of the worst "insiders" ever. Never first, piggybacks off of others and is wrong often.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I just read one of Fisher's articles that said that the 10 million signing bonus was likely used to allow a deal with Dez to also happen.

That'd be odd. Only 20% of the SB will be applied to this years cap. You double the SB and only add $2M to the prorated bonus amount. $4M over $2M, not sure that's gonna make or break Dallas given Dez's huge contract will spread over many years.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That'd be odd. Only 20% of the SB will be applied to this years cap. You double the SB and only add $2M to the prorated bonus amount. $4M over $2M, not sure that's gonna make or break Dallas given Dez's huge contract will spread over many years.

Particularly since we still have nearly 10 mill in space from this year. Likely we'll roll that forward to eat up a large base (rather than converting it to bonus) for someone but either way, we have a ton of space.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Particularly since we still have nearly 10 mill in space from this year. Likely we'll roll that forward to eat up a large base (rather than converting it to bonus) for someone but either way, we have a ton of space.

I would prefer they use it on Tyron's base salary provided they don't sign Dez.

With $30M in base salary guaranteed there's no point in rolling it over if his base salary is going to be high next year.

I'm betting some of that base salary is restructured in either 2015 or 2016 to put some prorated money on years 6 and 7. I would prefer they don't because his cap figure is presumably very reasonable and he will likely be considered a steal once he gets beyond the initial proration period.

I would just rather they get some of that money behind them. With no foreseeable use if they can't get Dez in the fold, I'd use as much as possible.

Wood

Reaction score
Dallas has Dez for 2 years if they want (this year under contract and next year franchise tag). I would not be in a rush at all but something tells me because Dez is such an emotional guy he would really start to act up if he doesn't get the new contract by week 6.

Wood

Reaction score
If Dallas has truly moved on from large contracts like that, the type of contracts that have killed them in the past, then it's only logical to give it the thought that they'd have to at least think about not giving him that kind of money.

Now I'm of the belief that Jerry Jones hasn't changed that much and very likely he'll wind up throwing whatever is necessary at Dez to keep him.

its tough call because Jerry is showing signs of changing. He wanted Manziel more than anything and handed in card for Zach Martin. I think Jerry also badly wants to re-sign Dez but it will come down to his demands. Dallas usually works well with Eugene Parker (Dez agent). But if Dez is asking 16-17 million I think Dallas will bite the bullet and go into draft taking best WR on board and considering Dallas is as deep at WR that I can remember.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't see any way Dallas can give more to Dez than they gave TSmith in years or average salary. I would give Dez a larger signing bonus, but less guaranteed.

They can tag him for around 12m next year and 15m in 2016, so guarantee 27m and give him a 15-18m signing bonus over 5-6 years.

6yr/72m probably gets it done.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ith-Deal/e90a9367-a50f-42ae-9cb6-587d4bb3460f

Despite rumblings and reports that Smith’s eight-year deal worth about $98 million and $40 million guaranteed will prohibit the club from signing
Dez Bryant this year, that seems to be the furthest from the truth.

“That’s not the case at all,” Cowboys’ VP and director of player personnel Stephen Jones said Wednesday. “We can get Dez done now if we wanted to. We’re still working on getting him done.”

“We can make it happen,” Jones said. “We’re still working on it.”

The one casualty from getting TSmith and maybe Dez done is probably Carr. Unless he lights it up this year, they can June 1st cut him and save 8m against the cap. Scandrick slides in and one the young guys replaces Scandrick.

They have to pay Melton next year, but they can get that by cutting Free. The tough decisions will be Mo, Murray, Carter and Witten.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

You're exactly right. TSmith's cap number only went up to 4.9m from 3.9m. They added the 2m from the signing bonus, but he reduced his base from 2m to 1m. They could easily do the same with Dez to keep his cap number low this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think we can all be confident Dez will probably get a generous contract at some point in the future, whether it's this year or later.
He and his agent are sure to be doing all in their power to extract whatever they can from an oftentimes overly-generous Jerry. If there's enough left for Dez this year, he'll more than likely be afforded a good deal. If not, it'll probably get done later. Jerry won't shortchange anyone of Dez's caliber and if anything, he's more likely to overpay than to shortchange him. He will be well paid.

CCBoy

Reaction score
With Tyron Smith’s deal, it’s nearly impossible to do Dez Bryant’s extension now. Little progress anyway. He may benefit from playing it out
1:43pm - 30 Jul 14

Hope this guy is wrong!

I hate the formal company line coming across as reasoned soundness...and suppose that Dez Bryant joins in with Tyron Smith, at a league high mark as well...all time, and also placed a volunteered level of team support, in such matters as well.

Maybe that also would reflect a mark for personal integrity, in a world where money or cash flows determines individual worth, instead of a team concept. And then playing those cards out.

Following bouts with the likes of Jay Ratliff and then Kyle Orton, that would give this fan a deep and returned respect for today's athlete. Not only would this show making to 'bucks,' but a team awareness not based upon personally maxed income, above the role of integrated roles in sports.

I'm tired of the fallout crowds following sports, where integrity takes a bite at every single juncture in the NFL's progress through today's views.

I'd just as soon do away with the nose stinch of a Henderson, Miami's racial Buds, a Saints money for a brawl on the carpet, and even Pacman's making it rain. Washington paid through it's nostrils, not at all a bad thing, but top NFL money for a DT that no longer produced or even cared once his own bank vault was filled.

Naw, I don't agree that following the trail of money at a dance poll is the source of reference, even in today's world and in this NFL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dez, IMO, isn't signing for what Tyron signed for. 13 a year with 40 Guaranteed? I think Dez is looking for something in the area of 16 but I don't know for sure. I don't know that anybody does. I guess we'll see.

The deal Fisher tossed out was 7 years, ~100 mil about 40 guaranteed.
Basically same deal Tyron got but it averaged 14 instead of 13.

Placed him 3rd highest paid WR in league.

I feel very sure Dez (and his agents) would jump all over that deal.

40m guaranteed is very real money and this is a dangerous sport. You take that all day, every day.

Also Dez has to know his value is very high now so he should sign while he has all this leverage.
If Romo was forced to retire Dallas would never pay Dez like that as they entered a rebuild.
So he'd be playing for cheap and then negotiating a trade or waiting out free agency.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I fully expect Dez to announce his deal by pre-season game 3.

In other words before he can be in a dress rehearsal game taking major shots from an opponent.

erod

Reaction score
Shefter and Rappaport have got to be step-brothers. No way two Dinklage-like reporters can have exactly the same presentation style and opt for the same career by pure chance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Shefter and Rappaport have got to be step-brothers. No way two Dinklage-like reporters can have exactly the same presentation style and opt for the same career by pure chance.

that is called emulation. shafter took it from his own father.

shefter has his deal first while rappoport was working for gossip sites.
rappoport likely stole it as a style to get taken more seriously.

conner01

Reaction score
Dallas should stick to it's guns. Dez is a great player but you can't ruin your cap for years to come just to make him happy to be getting paid top 5 money.

so you rather just let him walk instead of paying top 5 money? thats silly, he is certainly deserving of top 5 money

erod

Reaction score
that is called emulation. shafter took it from his own father.

shefter has his deal first while rappoport was working for gossip sites.
rappoport likely stole it as a style to get taken more seriously.

You're thinking of Dick and Jeremy Schaap.