Ian Rapaport re: contracts for Tyron v Dez

conner01

Reaction score
The deal Fisher tossed out was 7 years, ~100 mil about 40 guaranteed.
Basically same deal Tyron got but it averaged 14 instead of 13.

Placed him 3rd highest paid WR in league.

I feel very sure Dez (and his agents) would jump all over that deal.

40m guaranteed is very real money and this is a dangerous sport. You take that all day, every day.

Also Dez has to know his value is very high now so he should sign while he has all this leverage.
If Romo was forced to retire Dallas would never pay Dez like that as they entered a rebuild.
So he'd be playing for cheap and then negotiating a trade or waiting out free agency.

i think around that 14 number is where this gets done. i also think signing smith first was the plan all along because instead of smith counting over 10 mil against the cap before, he will now count around 3 mil, thus making signing dez even easier

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You're thinking of Dick and Jeremy Schaap.

You are right, my bad. It is Chaap whose boring style comes form the 70s:)

Looking into Shefter it is clear however he has chops such as being a former PFWA president while Rappoport is a clown.
The emulation thing still holds.

erod

Reaction score
You are right, my bad. It is Chaap whose boring style comes form the 70s:)

Looking into Shefter it is clear however he has chops such as being a former PFWA president while Rappoport is a clown.
The emulation thing still holds.

But Schaap is actually an excellent reporter, especially on investigative pieces. Rappaport is part of the new blowhard style of Twitter reporters.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
i think around that 14 number is where this gets done. i also think signing smith first was the plan all along because instead of smith counting over 10 mil against the cap before, he will now count around 3 mil, thus making signing dez even easier

TSmith's cap number went from 3.9m to 4.9m this year and from 10m to 12m next year. This move didn't create any new space, but it locks in an unknown and allows the team to plan around it.

Dallas still has around 9m in cap space once you account for the full 53 man roster, 8m when you count the IR guys.

If they extend Dez, his number will surely go up from 3.1m to around 5m with a 20m signing bonus.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Dallas should stick to it's guns. Dez is a great player but you can't ruin your cap for years to come just to make him happy to be getting paid top 5 money.

Dallas' guns is overpaying players what are you talking about.
I like Dez, but you don't need a great talent at WR to win a Super Bowl.

You need a pretty good coach and we don't have that and Jerry is seeming to refuse to get that so might as well keep some excitement at the WR position.