Video: Ian Rapoport on Dak’s Injury and Future of Jaylon Smith

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s hard to not see that hes not even top 3 even possibly top 4 linebacker on the staff. Releasing him is showing how they messed up and admitting fault. I still do think they keep him. Just for jerry ego

This is exactly how Jerry never helps his case as a GM. Got to make the tough and smart decisions. Then on the flip side he wants credit and will do everything in his power to win? The guys a dunce which is why they’re even in this position in the first place. It’s a lose/lose situation. This somehow helps the ego but not the brains?

terra

Reaction score
Yeah I think he's more so speaking on the fan chatter online I Don't think what he's saying has any reflection on how the Cowboys truly feel.
IR has been wrong at least as many times as he has been right over the years. So I pretty much take anything he says with a Jupiter sized grain of salt.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree but then maybe they won't look for "any" takers. Just posted in another thread a reminder of how Jerry can get attach to some players. I can them checking the pulse of a couple of teams they think he'd like to play for, otherwise, release him and let him find his own team.

I’d put money on a release after this season. A LOT of money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would a team trade for him when they can negotiate their own deal with him after we release him next year
Jaylon is not as bad as some think but he’s well paid and we have better options so he’s gone after this season when it’s affordable to move on
If you can’t beat out Neal then no team is giving anything for you lol

From what I’ve seen lately? He’s every bit as ‘bad as sone think’. And that contract and cost is a bad joke. Paying that kind of money for a liability on the field you’d rather sit.

Sydla

Reaction score
But at least you could keep one of the youngsters instead of exposing them to being picked up by another team. This is going to be one of those Jerry decisions. I'm just speculating on reports that he's been that bad in training camp.

Maybe but Rappaport made it seem like it would be a financial decision but cutting him saves nothing on the cap.

conner01

Reaction score
why you mean LB that was high up the list on tackles last year, played 98% of the snaps which is insane, had no DL protection and no other LBs playing consistently around him..the defenseive scheme was trash , he had trash around him and was way over sued and physically held up..

not makig excuses these are facts..hes not great last year like most of our players looked bad..but another coach maybe watches film and doesnt see him the same way Fans do..
Like I said
Jaylon is not as bad as fans here think
He’s a good LB, but he’s paid like an elite LB
But I don’t see him going anywhere this year
He may not get near the reps he’s gotten previously but he’s gonna be here
His salary is guaranteed and I don’t see a trade bringing more than his value, even as depth
If someone goes down he could escalate his value to the team a bunch
He’s already getting paid and cutting him sure doesn’t seem logical
Next year though could be a different story
Both he and LVE could be gone but it’s almost guaranteed one will be

conner01

Reaction score
Who would trade for him?
I’d never say never but unless some potential playoff teams loses about 3 LB’s I don’t see a trade happening
As depth he’s worth more than a late round pick would be worth and unless you have leverage like I mentioned no team is giving a top 4 round pick for him

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak is fine. He is still the guy. No need to rush him and he probably benefited from having to step back a bit since he is hard-headed and a competitor.

The Jaylon stuff is also simple. His money is already guaranteed and he costs you more to trade him much less cut him so he is here another year.
But he no longer looks like the teams best backer and should be in a rotation at best even if he is listed technically as a starter he likely isn't really going to get 60% of snaps much less an insane 98.
All that said guys who may surpass him on depth chart gotta actually stay healthy. LVE/Neal haven't done that much.
So when 2-3 LB gets hurt and Jaylon is out there getting burned good lord save the crying and complaints about Jaylon.

conner01

Reaction score
From what I’ve seen lately? He’s every bit as ‘bad as sone think’. And that contract and cost is a bad joke. Paying that kind of money for a liability on the field you’d rather sit.
I don’t see him starting at all and I suspect his reps will drop considerably
But cutting him doesn’t save you anything and trading him brings little value even if you could trade him
He’s high dollar depth who won’t be back next year
His contract just doesn’t match his production

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IR has been wrong at least as many times as he has been right over the years. So I pretty much take anything he says with a Jupiter sized grain of salt.
Yeah he had a great name but lately he’s just been off and it’s been a few years now. He’s not the insider he once was it seems.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see him starting at all and I suspect his reps will drop considerably
But cutting him doesn’t save you anything and trading him brings little value even if you could trade him
He’s high dollar depth who won’t be back next year
His contract just doesn’t match his production

I hope he’s not starting. But I worry that they’ll play him more than his production and ability deserves because of the contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak is fine. He is still the guy. No need to rush him and he probably benefited from having to step back a bit since he is hard-headed and a competitor.

The Jaylon stuff is also simple. His money is already guaranteed and he costs you more to trade him much less cut him so he is here another year.
But he no longer looks like the teams best backer and should be in a rotation at best even if he is listed technically as a starter he likely isn't really going to get 60% of snaps much less an insane 98.
All that said guys who may surpass him on depth chart gotta actually stay healthy. LVE/Neal haven't done that much.
So when 2-3 LB gets hurt and Jaylon is out there getting burned good lord save the crying and complaints about Jaylon.

He doesn’t cost you more to trade him. If you trade him you save the guaranteed base salary on your cap.

It’s simple. $7.2MM cap savings right now if you trade him. Zero cap savings if you cut him.

You aren’t the only person who has said this so I am guessing the guaranteed angle is confusing people. Guaranteed salary is not the same as a bonus. Think of it this way. Essentially, whatever team actually pays the cash to the player is the one who has to take the cap hit. So if Smith is traded to Las Vegas tomorrow, they will be paying his guaranteed base salary and incur the cap hit, not Dallas. Dallas only has to account for cash they paid to Smith up until the day they trade him.

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
Why would a team trade for him when they can negotiate their own deal with him after we release him next year
Jaylon is not as bad as some think but he’s well paid and we have better options so he’s gone after this season when it’s affordable to move on
If you can’t beat out Neal then no team is giving anything for you lol
You’re right about beating out Neal (or unable to most likely), but I think Neal’s play is a perfect storm of athlete and position change.

Verdict

Reaction score
Jaylon will be traded by Cutdown Deadline.

Who will take him and that contract? Do you give up Jaylon and say a 7th round pick for someone to take him off your hands? Do you pay part of his salary to get him gone?