If Bosa, Elliot and Ramsey are all there

superonyx

Reaction score
It was still in practice and didn't happen while tackling or anything not playing SS will save him from.

If you think he's made of glass then he shouldn't be playing. You just sound like you're trying to coach scared. Scared your players might hurt themselves.
It's worse than hurting it tackling...he hurt it bumping into his own teammate.
It has nothing to do with scared...it's similar to why Dez Bryant doesn't return punts anymore....I guess that's coaching scared to.

A strong safety is a small linebacker that can cover. Byron Jones has not played strong safety in college or the pro's . This isn't Madden.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Every article I have read says he dislocated it and popped it back into place.

You mean those clickbait articles that want you to watch the weird-looking video?

A dislocated knee is a severe injury. You don't just "pop it back into place" and keep playing without missing a snap.

As he said, “It looks like that but I just needed to straighten out my leg.”

Doomsay

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with scared...it's similar to why Dez Bryant doesn't return punts anymore....I guess that's coaching scared to.

A strong safety is a small linebacker that can cover. Byron Jones has not played strong safety in college or the pro's . This isn't Madden.

Agreed, not a strong safety, by any measure, never has been. Nor was his number sake able to cover a corpse, for what it matters.

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
You mean those clickbait articles that want you to watch the weird-looking video?

A dislocated knee is a severe injury. You don't just "pop it back into place" and keep playing without missing a snap.

As he said, “It looks like that but I just needed to straighten out my leg.”

No I mean every article I can find says he dislocated his knee. In fact I can't find a single article that says he didn't dislocate it.
It's not even incredibly relevant if he dislocated it or not. He had a few injuries the last 2 years he played football and nothing says he is or would hold up playing strong safety.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

The age of the hybrid Y/H-back are done. SS lines up on the side of the TE and is often responsible for coverage on the TE. Jones has already competed favorably with the best TE in the game in Gronkowski and shut down most other TE. If they ran the ball

When we drafted Dez, he did return punts. Then Harris emerged. Last year is a moot point as Dez was hurt. The scared reasoning was out there but I don't think it drove the actual decisionmaking.

In college, Jones came up and played intermediate and short zones and took a gap in the run game. He was not only keeping a lid on it and running behind piles. He's set a nice edge at corner as well. You act like SS is this unique position that would be foreign to Jones.

In the pros, he started at RCB when Claiborne was hurt and eventually settled the last last few games at FS but else he was moving all over the middle of the formation. He also took over at S on both sides of the field in the robber role. In the several formations, he was playing man up on the TE similar to how we would play Sensabaugh under Wade Phillips or Woody under Jimmy Johnson.

As for Ramsey his work at the line of the scrimmage is his bread and butter. He is one of the best DB prospects I have seen in using leverage and taking on/shedding blocks. Very physical at the POA and strong tackler. Uses those same skills and attacks shoulders to make him an elite blitzer. I have no concern whatsoever about him playing up. I would welcome it.

If we draft Ramsey and pigeonhole them I would be disappointed. The entire point of having such dynamic talent is to have them do it all. If QB's don't know who the S is and what personnel tendencies are then it makes it very difficult to read defenses. The CB being used to cover 3 already from 2014 helps so they can play up, back, and man already. Claiborne is a slow learner but he is coming along. Eberflus would have a heck of a coverage corps to work with and he spent time with Mr Multiple himself, Rob Ryan.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
No I mean every article I can find says he dislocated his knee. In fact I can't find a single article that says he didn't dislocate it.

No, there is not a single legitimate article that states that he dislocated his knee, because it didn't happen. There are, however, plenty of clickbait articles that claim he dislocated it and "popped it back into place" or articles that said he *appeared* to pop it back into place.

Like I said, you don't "pop" a dislocated knee "back into place." It is a very severe injury. Jones wasn't injured at all and didn't miss a snap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...spite-video-byron-jones-says-his-knee-is-fine

Despite video, Byron Jones says his knee is fine

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Byron Jones became something of a social-media hit in last spring’s draft process when he had a record broad jump of 12 feet, 3 inches.

He added to the legend in Saturday’s 19-16 loss to the New York Jets when he appeared to pop his left knee back into place after a first-half tackle of Quincy Enunwa.

“It looks like that but I just needed to straighten out my leg,” Jones said.

Jones calmly grabbed his leg, slid it to the left and continued to play. In fact he was one of four defenders to play all 71 snaps.

“Honestly I think it’s just because I’m flexible,” Jones said.

superonyx

Reaction score
No, there is not a single legitimate article that states that he dislocated his knee, because it didn't happen. There are, however, plenty of clickbait articles that claim he dislocated it and "popped it back into place" or articles that said he *appeared* to pop it back into place.

Like I said, you don't "pop" a dislocated knee "back into place." It is a very severe injury. Jones wasn't injured at all and didn't miss a snap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...spite-video-byron-jones-says-his-knee-is-fine

He had to use his hands to straighten out his leg that he says was stuck. It's not like he did it with just his leg. He reached down and grabbed it and straightened it. It was off to the side. He obviously felt it and didn't just stand up. He stopped and used his hands to put it back into place before getting up.

There are different levels of injuries and everyone responds differently.
Like I said, he has not held up in the last 2 years and this was without playing the much more physical Strong Safety position.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
He had to use his hands to straighten out his leg that he says was stuck. It's not like he did it with just his leg. He reached down and grabbed it and straightened it. It was off to the side. He obviously felt it and didn't just stand up. He stopped and used his hands to put it back into place before getting up.

Yeah, that's not a knee dislocation.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not a knee dislocation.

It isn't normal.

What it isn't is a sign that he should be playing strong safety.
I've laid out his injuries over the last 2 seasons playing less physical positions.
Maybe in certain situations the defensive would prefer having additional free safeties or CB in packages.

But that doesn't make him a strong safety.
There is no evidence that the team would ever even consider him playing strong safety.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I remain a firm believer that you have to be strong at QB and on the defensive line. We're strong at neither. Romo is near the end and we don't have a pass rush to speak of. Unless you think Ramsey is a transcendent player - and I do not believe he is - then no way you should take a DB that high. The Cowboys have drafted DBs in or near the 1st round for 15 years and it's gotten them absolutely nowhere.

Craig

Reaction score
Why are people so worried about the ss position with regards to jones. There are too many recievers lining up for the position to be relevant very often. 2 fs and nickel coverage and all that.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
More denial in what actually fueled the dream season of 2014.

Romo enjoyed his best season because he did not have to carry the load.

It allowed him for the first time in his career to feel that he did not have to win games himself.
That's not really not an argument for drafting Elliot, because we didn't add an elite RB in 2014. We added an All Pro guard to an OL that was already very good. If anything, it's an argument for drafting Tunsil, although in this case you'd be adding him to the best OL in the league.

As long as we can keep defenses honest, we'll be successful on offense. Keep Romo, Dez, and OL healthy, IOW.

superjoe

#1 Risher
Reaction score
Ramsey, the kid is tenacious and has the size and speed make his interchangeable. It would give our front a wild card effect on offenses, play him behind Lee and beside Jones and let them stifle receivers. This move gives our DEs another 2 or 3 tenths of a second to hit home, I think its big if he can come in and learn the system.

If we don't sign a vet d-line guy we could use picks 2-5 to get a pass rusher or two.

Western

Reaction score
Any defensive player that continually disrupts/sacks/hits/pressures the opposing QB and hinders running game of the offense at the line of scrimmage is a more value than a roaming free-lancing defensive back.

Bosa should be the pick.

manster4ever

Reaction score
It'd be Ramsey.

He's a real athlete, and he supposedly crushed Combine interviews in case anyone's worried about Claiborne 2.0

I'd prefer a QB but Ramsey isn't a bad consolation. He was also the #1 graded tackling CB I think, so that's pretty cool.

BIngo.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
who gets picked? Looking more likely with QBs going 1 and 2, and good possibility of Tunsil at 3. If we get an offer to move down a few picks that would ideal. But if a trade isn't on the table, who gets picked.

I say Bosa....but I'd prefer the other two.

I think we have to take this all in stride.

We are not forced into taking Bosa becuz of the suspensions.

We need to stick with whatever the plan was before this happened.

These suspensions are only 4 games..not season ending.

We will have to find a way to score more points and play better special teams early on.

Then hope Marinelli can coach.

Garrett, too.

Adversity is going to make us stronger.

What I don't want to see happen right now is what happened back when we passed on Randy Moss nd chose Greg Ellis instead becuz we over-reacted about Michael Irvin and his arrest and didn't want anymore bad characters.

This cost us for 10 years.

Because Gregory and now Lawrence have failed the nice boy labels..

don't draft Bosa if you are not sure just becuz he is a position of need.

I think we will draft him anyway regardless..

and we will be happy if it happens.

Marinelli will make him much better than he is now..

we'll be fine.

Last edited:

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
The best player available, Ramsey could be special for the next Decade and Tunsil is a 10 year bookend.

They are Offensively and Defensively the two hands down best prospects. One will be there. Get sum!