If Bosa, Elliot and Ramsey are all there

ufcrules1

Reaction score
So we're going to blame the D-Line for the secondary taking bad angles and missing sure tackles?

No secondary can cover extended periods of time. If there isn't enough pressure on the QB, the WR will burn the secondary every time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Bosa would fill the biggest void of need. An heir apparent to Romo is my first preference but that player will have little impact to this coming season if all goes well. And I'm only interested in Goff or Wentz and I suspect they'll be off the board when the 4th pick is on the clock. I say Bosa over Elliot and Ramsey because his position represents the weakest link.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Doesn't both Ramsey and Byron Jones play the best at the same safety position?
Everything I read say Dallas prefers B Jones as a safety over a CB...people seem to also say Ramsey will be a tweener player just like Jones....

I'm not sure this is the best move.....

But I really don't want Bosa....

Having two good safeties hurts us how? Both are versatile and can move around in coverage.

superonyx

Reaction score
Having two good safeties hurts us how? Both are versatile and can move around in coverage.

It's not about having 2 good safeties. It's about having 2 first round picks both suited for playing free safety yet 1 has to play strong safety in order to be on the field. Both being CB\Safety tweeners doesn't seem to be a strong sign that either guy is built to play strong safety.

I believe 1 or both of these guys will have to excel at CB to justify having both of them and spending first round picks on both.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
It's not about having 2 good safeties. It's about having 2 first round picks both suited for playing free safety yet 1 has to play strong safety in order to be on the field. Both being CB\Safety tweeners doesn't seem to be a strong sign that either guy is built to play strong safety.

I believe 1 or both of these guys will have to excel at CB to justify having both of them and spending first round picks on both.

Ramsey/Carr at outside CB, Scandrick in the slot, Mo coming as the 4th CB.

Jones/Church @ S

That is they way I believe it will look if we take Ramsey.

superonyx

Reaction score
Ramsey/Carr at outside CB, Scandrick in the slot, Mo coming as the 4th CB.

Jones/Church @ S

That is they way I believe it will look if we take Ramsey.

I agree that this is the way it would probably look if we draft Ramsey.
However, there is some worry in me that Ramsey may check all the boxes in the workout department but his pure CB ability isn't the reason he is so highly regarded. Most profiles I have read seem to emphasize his ability to play safety as a reason he is so highly regarded. He may turn out to be awesome as everyone suggest. I just have some concerns that Ramsey is Byron Jones just at a bigger college. That said I like B Jones, just not sure if we need 2 of them when 1 will cost the 4th pick in the first round.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Both are great tacklers with world class speed and can cover TE. They can play both S positions and corner.

superonyx

Reaction score
Both are great tacklers with world class speed and can cover TE. They can play both S positions and corner.

Byron Jones had a shoulder injury end his college career, then injured his shoulder in camp last year, then sprained an ankle and dislocated his knee. I don't want this guy playing strong safety.
Jalen Ramsey is lean at 6 foot 1 and 201 pounds. Not really built for the SS position.
Not saying either guy can't do it..just it doesn't seem like the position they are suited for.

That said they both seem to have the physical ability to be tall corners.
We seem to have some CB issues coming up so if this is the way we go then I'm hoping they can both become Richard Sherman minus the big mouth.

cml750

Reaction score
Well, first off, I go Wentz or Goff if we are fortunate enough for one of them to fall to us, but if they are off of the table and it comes down to those three guys I have to go with Ramsey. Having a pair of ball hawk safeties would be a huge boost to us.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
If Goff/Wentz are gone and we can't trade down. I go Zeke. I'm not a fan of drafting CB/S in the top 5. I think the tier group of DL is pretty close, so I can get someone close to Bosa's impact in the 2nd. Zeke would greatly improve the offense and limit Romo's throwing attempts which should decrease his chance of getting hurt.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Byron Jones had a shoulder injury end his college career, then injured his shoulder in camp last year, then sprained an ankle and dislocated his knee. I don't want this guy playing strong safety.
Jalen Ramsey is lean at 6 foot 1 and 201 pounds. Not really built for the SS position.
Not saying either guy can't do it..just it doesn't seem like the position they are suited for.

That said they both seem to have the physical ability to be tall corners.
We seem to have some CB issues coming up so if this is the way we go then I'm hoping they can both become Richard Sherman minus the big mouth.

Jones hurt his shoulder in practice so it could not have been from tackling. The other stuff did not stop him from playing.

Ramsey was an excellent tackler who took on TE and OL blocks regularly in college.

I prefer to not make choices from fear as a general rule.

fishspill

Reaction score
Bosa would fill the biggest void of need. An heir apparent to Romo is my first preference but that player will have little impact to this coming season if all goes well. And I'm only interested in Goff or Wentz and I suspect they'll be off the board when the 4th pick is on the clock. I say Bosa over Elliot and Ramsey because his position represents the weakest link.

I agree but it's not just because of the position but the player. I think Bosa will be the best of the 3. Ramsey is a man fighting his inevitable position and Elliot is good but there's at least 3 guys next year better than him. Add to it I'm not hot on using a #4 on RBs and DBs.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Byron Jones had a shoulder injury end his college career, then injured his shoulder in camp last year, then sprained an ankle and dislocated his knee.

Jones never dislocated his knee. It was just a weird-looking video. His knee wasn't injured at all.

superonyx

Reaction score
Jones hurt his shoulder in practice so it could not have been from tackling. The other stuff did not stop him from playing.

Ramsey was an excellent tackler who took on TE and OL blocks regularly in college.

I prefer to not make choices from fear as a general rule.
Byron Jones was injured on a collision with Morris Claiborne. He was covering Witten on a crossing pattern and collided with Claiborne. There is an ESPN article describing it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Cowboys need to take Ramsey - no ifs or buts. If he is on the board and they take someone else I will lose all hope with this organization.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I keep hearing "if Goff/Wentz are gone"
I'm not so sure Dallas takes either one if they're there.
I suspect that Dallas has at least 2 players higher than then them on their board....maybe way more than that.
I know both are rated in the 7-9 range on most (all?) rankings, but teams without a starting QB would push them higher.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Byron Jones was injured on a collision with Morris Claiborne. He was covering Witten on a crossing pattern and collided with Claiborne. There is an ESPN article describing it.

It was still in practice and didn't happen while tackling or anything not playing SS will save him from.

If you think he's made of glass then he shouldn't be playing. You just sound like you're trying to coach scared. Scared your players might hurt themselves.

superonyx

Reaction score
Jones never dislocated his knee. It was just a weird-looking video. His knee wasn't injured at all.

Every article I have read says he dislocated it and popped it back into place.
He said it felt stuck.
I agree that he didn't miss time with it. But seeing his injuries over his last 2 seasons of playing football does not make him look like a guy who should be playing strong safety.